Electric car anyone?

1 lurker | 72 watchers
Jun 2021
8:35pm, 2 Jun 2021
14,629 posts
  •  
larkim
There's a dramatically declining exponential relationship between the period of ownership of a car and the frequency of washing, which then has a hockey stick at the point at which I want to sell it.

It's nice when you've spent decent money on a car for it to look nice, but once that appeal has worn off I struggle to see the point!!
Jun 2021
10:46pm, 2 Jun 2021
38,885 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
I pay the car wash lads to do it. They make a better job in 10 mins than I would in an hour!
Jun 2021
7:58am, 3 Jun 2021
4,961 posts
  •  
ThorntonRunner
About once a year I take mine through a car wash
Jun 2021
11:06am, 3 Jun 2021
38,892 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
This will be only my 3rd new car in my life. My wife has had one.

Prev two for me were both work. 1998 when I got my first "car allowance". I completely miscalculated and used the whole monthly amount and got the car I wanted not realising that I'd pay another 25% (?) of my salary in tax on it. Then at the end, I'd gone over the mileage allowance and had to pay more than £1000 to give it back. Very naïve. And second, I was a bit cannier and it was a decent allowance and I got the best car I could, but tried to justify the extra spend by better fuel efficiency and lower servicing cost of a new car!

I think this time I've been much more frugal. And it's a fairly basic model. And I'm justifying getting new because it's a new technology and second hand market is small and unproven. But it's still a new car, so I'm looking forward to it.

You can unlock the doors with your mobile, ooh and turn on the heating, seats and window defrost... *goes to read more of the manual*! :-) G
Jun 2021
11:06am, 3 Jun 2021
38,893 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
2nd was 2002. By 2003 I had written it off! :-) G
jda
Jun 2021
11:31am, 3 Jun 2021
10,269 posts
  •  
jda
“Only” your third.

A long time ago I made it a rule to spend more on bicycles than cars. Easy enough for me but I think I’d struggle with your habits!
Jun 2021
11:33am, 3 Jun 2021
14,634 posts
  •  
larkim
Turning on the heating remotely is great!

Actually, one of the very poor bits about the Peugeot is it's app-based intergration, which for me really shouldn't be just limited to EVs so really could be a bit more mature as a product.

*In theory* the car can communicate with Peugeot's servers through it's built in SIM card to tell it anything it wants, and it can receive signals using the same route. So it can report the level of charge, whether charging is complete, warn of low charge, report range, schedule heating, turn on heating, set up scheduled charging etc. It can also report to Peugeot where the car is, document journeys etc.

In practice, the location bit is just broken at Peugeots end (and is differentially integrated onto the app depending on which model of car you have, even though third party services like Tronity can access the data (though not currently as Peugeot have broken it)). And then the app also includes a feature to extract journey details from the car via bluetooth which seems to only work 80% of the time and doesn't include location data. The app also has a feature on it to allow me to know where my car is (e.g. car park location) but on some models it (used to) work by default, on my model I have to mark the location manually, even though the car / the Peugeot servers can and do get that info.

Setting up scheduled charging / turning on heating etc does work most of the time but I wouldn't bet my house on the app being able to communicate with the car. For some people it works reliably, for others it's pretty flaky.

It doesn't bother me too much as there's nothing on the app that I can't do manually in the car that is critical (or even really important), but it does take away the gloss of the integration.

Apart from the power requirements though, I can't see that most of these features really rely on this being an EV only feature, so I can only imagine that Peugeot customers around the world in ICE and EV cars get the same treatment from their apps.

There's a long way to go for the big manufacturers to catch up to Tesla in terms of how well the "internet of things" stuff works I think. Though this may just be a Peugeot / Stellantis thing.
Jun 2021
11:39am, 3 Jun 2021
2,238 posts
  •  
WtnMel
I use washing my own car as part of my (cough) fitness routine ;)
Jun 2021
11:43am, 3 Jun 2021
38,894 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
jda, that's very laudable. But I think I'm probably towards the middle rather than excessive with my car needs/wants. Best thing would be we all go full Amish and no cars, work on the land, c 1800 style!

Other end of the spectrum, young people getting new car every couple of years, phones, TVs etc.

I've mostly had reasonably fuel efficient middle of range second hand cars for 30 years, except the two described above. And my 3rd new car in 30 years is to allow me to go electric. I hope I'm not being a complete planet killer!

The tech integration needs to get better larks, agree. When it moves to full autonomous, things workng 80% of the time isn't good enough when the 20% failure is not stopping at a traffic light or pedestrian crossing! :-) G
Jun 2021
11:50am, 3 Jun 2021
15,317 posts
  •  
MarkyMarkMark (3M)
The whole autonomous car thingy is an interesting challenge in both IT and insurance terms!

We operate our company's "mission critical" systems on a 99.95% availability target/SLA, but occasionally things go wrong. If that 0.05% is on a Monday morning during rush hour, I don't want to be in the car, or anywhere near it!

And if there's a problem with the car, resulting in damage, injury or death, who is at fault (software developer, hardware manufacturer, 5G provider, random pedestrian, etc.)? So who carries the insurance?

About This Thread

Maintained by larkim
Nattering about EVs; are you thinking about owning one? Do you own one? Are you terrified of owning one?

A thread for those with range anxiety, eco friendliness and petrol heads alike!

Some current vehicles that Fetchies have:-
HappyG Hyundai Kona 64kWh 240-280 miles range
ev-database.uk
larkim MG4 SE LR 61.7kWh usable (64kWh advertised)
ev-database.org
larkim (Now sold) Peugeot e208 46kWh usable (50kWh advertised) 180-220 miles range
ev-database.uk
ThorntonRunner Pre-facelift MG5 (LR Exclusive). 61kWh, 57kWh usable
ev-database.org
Jenelopy BYD Atto 60.5kWh usable
ev-database.org
Runningbear21 Jaguar i-Pace 84.7kWh
ev-database.org

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.