Electric car anyone?

2 lurkers | 72 watchers
Jun 2021
12:58pm, 3 Jun 2021
38,895 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
rf_fozzy had some good views on the speed of uptake of autonomous.

I agree Mark, we're same, even our most critical systems (banking) go wrong occasionally.

However, it's a different technology and engineering challenge. Building in fail-safes can be done with very high reliability. And there will be stats on the risk of serious accidents with human drivers (even if you are perfect and are not at fault, but other drivers on the road aren't).

It will definitely come. It will eventually be safer. In the same way that most planes fly themselves most, there will be some big accidents (like the no stall on the Boeing 737 Max) when technology (or in that case, the corner cutting by a greedy company implementing the technology) goes wrong. Won't stop the general progress though. Will only slow it down!

:-) G
Jun 2021
2:27pm, 3 Jun 2021
14,638 posts
  •  
larkim
At the moment it seems every Tesla failure is directly the fault of Elon Musk anyway, so presumably programmers need not worry, it'll be their bosses who'll take the fall!
Jun 2021
2:36pm, 3 Jun 2021
38,896 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
My home charge point isn't going to be free! :-( Even the £350 from OZEV and the £250 from Energy Saving Trust don't quite cover it - another £200ish on top. Why is nothing ever simple or free?! :-) G
Jun 2021
2:42pm, 3 Jun 2021
14,639 posts
  •  
larkim
I think that's the reason why some people just use the commercial chargers, despite their high per-unit cost. Free install came with the motability car, but it was also a free offer from Peugeot at the time.

The other thing to check is whether you get a charging cable or not with the car, and which type if you do.

I knew mine came with a Type 2 cable by default, so I asked for the charger to be a tethered one so I didn't need to get my detachable cable out every time, or risk leaving my detachable one behind on a day when I needed it. I've only used the cable a couple of times getting some free juice from the Podpoint chargers at my local Tesco, and even then just as an experiment to see how it all works.

I think I might have preferred to have got a "granny" charger (domestic 3 pin plug) if I'd had the option, just to ensure that I could charge at someone else's house if I ever needed to. But so far I'd not have needed to anyway.
Jun 2021
2:44pm, 3 Jun 2021
38,897 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
My car comes with both larks. And I'm going to buy a longer (10m?) cable for the charger at home (not tethered, for flexibility). :-) G
Jun 2021
7:32pm, 3 Jun 2021
26,871 posts
  •  
Dave.O
I went for a tethered charger at home, though in 6000+ miles I've only ever charged my car once at home and that was just to make sure the charger was working.
Jun 2021
8:33pm, 3 Jun 2021
5,774 posts
  •  
Fizz :-)
Almost a year on with mine, I’m doing so few miles that we’re still only charging on the three pin domestic supply.
Jun 2021
9:26am, 4 Jun 2021
38,902 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
Where do you charge if not at home Dave? Do you have a charge point at work? Is it free? Do you have to pay benefit in kind tax on it? :-) G
Jun 2021
11:10am, 4 Jun 2021
4,962 posts
  •  
ThorntonRunner
My employer has installed 4 charge points in the car park (about 75 employees). Currently they are free to use and no tax implications. The company has reserved the right to review and possibly charge in the future
Jun 2021
11:26am, 4 Jun 2021
38,908 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
That's cool TR. I was hoping for special lanes for electric cars, but it's not happening! :-) G

About This Thread

Maintained by larkim
Nattering about EVs; are you thinking about owning one? Do you own one? Are you terrified of owning one?

A thread for those with range anxiety, eco friendliness and petrol heads alike!

Some current vehicles that Fetchies have:-
HappyG Hyundai Kona 64kWh 240-280 miles range
ev-database.uk
larkim MG4 SE LR 61.7kWh usable (64kWh advertised)
ev-database.org
larkim (Now sold) Peugeot e208 46kWh usable (50kWh advertised) 180-220 miles range
ev-database.uk
ThorntonRunner Pre-facelift MG5 (LR Exclusive). 61kWh, 57kWh usable
ev-database.org
Jenelopy BYD Atto 60.5kWh usable
ev-database.org
Runningbear21 Jaguar i-Pace 84.7kWh
ev-database.org

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.