Electric car anyone?

5 lurkers | 72 watchers
Jun 2021
11:36am, 4 Jun 2021
38,909 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
Actually, new trial of electric vehicles using bus/cycle lane...

https://thenextweb.com/news/electric-vehicles-can-now-use-bus-lanes-in-the-uk-and-cyclists-arent-happy#:~:text=The%20county%20council%20said%20that,engine%20vehicles%20and%20into%20EVs.
Jun 2021
11:36am, 4 Jun 2021
38,910 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
thenextweb.com
Jun 2021
3:38pm, 4 Jun 2021
26,872 posts
  •  
Dave.O
I currently charge it at work and at the moment it's free, but I expect that to change at some point. You need a card to activate the charger so they know who uses it and what they are using.

Currently, I'm the only person back using it for a car and one of our PHEV work vans occasionally uses it.
Jun 2021
3:42pm, 4 Jun 2021
38,917 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
I don't know if our office has chargers. I'll have a check. Quite a lot of petrol heads at my work - A McLaren F1 and a few BMW M4, loads of X5, Audi Q7 etc. Maybe electric isn't on their radar?! :-) G
Jun 2021
4:43pm, 4 Jun 2021
26,873 posts
  •  
Dave.O
Meant to be getting a couple of 22kw charger in our depot as I'm getting two more PHEV 4x4's in the next couple of months and the two 7KW chargers at the main office won't suffice.
Jul 2021
10:14am, 2 Jul 2021
39,065 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
Yay! Arrived yesterday. All going OK so far. Haven't got the 7kW charging point installed until next Thu, but I should be able to use the "granny" charger to top up what little I use for just now.

Discovered there are a couple of 50kW chargers just a mile or two down the road. They are council run so only 15p per kWh, so £10 to fill up in less than an hour. I can run from there too, so just do a run while charging, if necessary. Or a couple of shops nearby.

Night time home charging will be 5p per kWh (or free if we ever get our solar PV installed!), but 15p per kWh isn't bad for a public charger, I thought?

I do like the silent running! And the acceleration is bonkers, but it isn't a very "racy" car, so I wouldn't like to drive it fast. :-) G
Jul 2021
10:39am, 2 Jul 2021
14,974 posts
  •  
larkim
Night time solar charging HG :-) ?

(I know what you meant!)

Welcome to the EV world! Would love to hear about stuff like apps and clever stuff you can do with your car when you get around to fiddling.
Jul 2021
10:52am, 2 Jul 2021
39,066 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
Yes, that didn't make much sense! Free solar day time or cheap tariff night time, of course!

I have already fiddled - it's a Hyundai Kona, there is a Hyundai app that lets me unlock, check the doors, bonnet, boot closed and locked, put on heating or AC, and most importantly charge or set charging time. It can also find my car if I've forgotten where I parked it!

The driving gadgets are just the usual nowadays - sat nav, bluetooth phone and media, Android Car app etc. The EV add ons are battery capacity, distance, drain time, estimated range, and nearest charging point etc.

Sport mode was bonkers fast. Turned that off! The handling just can't cope with it (imho). I'm used to BMW with positive steering, stable in corners etc. :-) G
Jul 2021
11:03am, 2 Jul 2021
364 posts
  •  
fuzzyduck79
Sounds like it's fun to drive, enjoy HG

15p per kWh is very good for a public charger

We're probably going to get an ID3 to go with ID4, same dealer. Been test driving mid size EVs for the past week and that's the narrow winner from Peugeot e208 by the looks
Jul 2021
11:11am, 2 Jul 2021
39,068 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
I liked both the ID4 and ID3 but too expensive.

The Kona in Premium trim, with a 64kWh battery (nearly 300 mile range) is £320 per month (2 years, no upfront payment, 8000 miles per year). Only thing that cheap at similar size, but with less range, was the MG (the MG 5 (estate) and the MG ZS (suv sort of thing)) with much less range - 240 and 210 respectively.

When nicer, fancier, more premium brands come down in price I will move to them. But can't justify £400, £500 or more per month. Even with saving on tax, fuel and servicing. :-) G

About This Thread

Maintained by larkim
Nattering about EVs; are you thinking about owning one? Do you own one? Are you terrified of owning one?

A thread for those with range anxiety, eco friendliness and petrol heads alike!

Some current vehicles that Fetchies have:-
HappyG Hyundai Kona 64kWh 240-280 miles range
ev-database.uk
larkim MG4 SE LR 61.7kWh usable (64kWh advertised)
ev-database.org
larkim (Now sold) Peugeot e208 46kWh usable (50kWh advertised) 180-220 miles range
ev-database.uk
ThorntonRunner Pre-facelift MG5 (LR Exclusive). 61kWh, 57kWh usable
ev-database.org
Jenelopy BYD Atto 60.5kWh usable
ev-database.org
Runningbear21 Jaguar i-Pace 84.7kWh
ev-database.org

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.