Electric car anyone?

7 lurkers | 72 watchers
9:04am
9:04am, 4 Oct 2024
51,071 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
Why do we think EV take up is not quick enough in UK for the manufacturers?

thisismoney.co.uk

(Article is about Vauxhall saying they would pull out of UK if EV take up doesn't improve and if UK gov't still wants to apply penalties to the manufacturers if they are still selling non-EV)

Just that they are too expensive? Or range fear / lack of understanding? Or lack of charging infrastructure (esp for those who don't have their own home / driveway)? Other reasons?

Genuine question. :-) G
9:49am
9:49am, 4 Oct 2024
6,251 posts
  •  
K5 Gus
For those without a driveway (or workplace charging )then obviously no cheap method of recharging must be the major holdback - yes there may be an increase in public chargers, but you aren't getting the cheap overnight tariffs on these public chargers that you can get on home charging.

For those that can charge at home on a driveway then I imagine that cost plays a big part - not just the initial purchase price which is still at a premium to ICE equivalent (although the gap does appear to be narrowing as battery prices fall), but also uncertainty of future trade-in values. There are horror stories around horrendous depreciation in certain models, which has spooked many, and with possible improvements in battery tech (esp solid state if it ever make it to mainstream) this is a big concern.
Of course the way to negate these concerns is to lease, but that is still not a method that the vast majority consider, people seem fixated with PCP and fear not having any equity left in their car to start off the next deal.

I don't think range is a major concern to the vast majority, or at least it shouldn't be if they thought about it, very, very few people regularly do 250+ miles per day.
10:23am
10:23am, 4 Oct 2024
2,004 posts
  •  
Gromit
My main stumbling block currently is a combination of the initial outlay and the very changing technology .... i'm now holding on until next year to hopefully get a Multivan or Caddy hybrid but won't get this year where the EV range is 40 miles when i know next years models will do 75...... i also couldn't/wouldn't go down the PCP route as the mileage restrictions are about half my usual annual mileage .....
10:27am
10:27am, 4 Oct 2024
51,072 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
The industry is saying that government needs to help with blockers, not just have a sword of Damocles hanging over the industry. Public charging costs and availability isn't the responsibility of the manufacturers after all.

Public charging is definitely messy and now much more expensive than it was (but still half the cost of petrol diesel on average, which for most other weekly / monthly spends people would jump at - 50% off your shopping, 50% off your heating bill etc?!)

Very "unfair" though that those renting or living in flats would be paying X to charge usually, whereas those with house and driveway (who install a charger) can take advantage of v. low cost to charge. Even less if you have solar panels!

Do we feel this needs gov't intervention or just "the market" to sort things? :-) G
10:35am
10:35am, 4 Oct 2024
25,748 posts
  •  
larkim
The bigger question is - who on earth would buy a Vauxhall?!?

(And yes, I know it's Stellantis, and yes my e208 was a Stellantis car which was sold both as an e208 and a Corsa-e, with slightly different internal specs)
10:41am
10:41am, 4 Oct 2024
22,613 posts
  •  
Dave W
With a monthly spend of around one hundred pounds on diesel it would be a long time before I recouped the extra cost of an EV.

If money was not an issue I would have one tomorrow. But it is.

I’d also put in an air source heat pump and solar panels. That would make sense on a day to day basis but the initial outlay would be a lot.

Battery distances seem to be getting better so I’m going to hang onto the diesel for another couple of years to see where things go. Also hopefully public charging won’t be such a lottery by then. And one can hope that prices will also come down but I’m not holding my breath on that one.
10:47am
10:47am, 4 Oct 2024
51,074 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
Solar panels + battery are about a 5 year payback. If you are prepared to stay in a house that long or if you think it will add value if you are selling, then it's a no brainer. Interest free loans from gov't are available in some areas so you don't have to find the capital. Or some installers do a "pay monthly" option, albeit with an interest charge, so costs you a bit.

Wrong thread, obv!

EV, saving is (depending on what baseline figs you use!) £200 pa per 1,000 miles. If you do high mileage like me, that's £3000 for 15,000 miles per year. Adds up pretty quickly as a saving. So I am prepared to use my savings, or take out a low cost personal loan, to fund the extra up front cost. :-) G
10:51am
10:51am, 4 Oct 2024
246 posts
  •  
Yakima Canutt
Bring forward the 2035 date for end of ICE car sales and I get that would accelerate EV ownership.

We do need more ideas (sorry there are plenty of ideas, we need a bit more action) on EV charges for folk who don't have driveways.

For example,y work has a bank of 10 chargers in an open access car park but they are only set up for employee use. Imagine if these were open to the public 6pm to 8am. There are plenty of flats nearby who could benefit from it. We need a bit more societal thinking about this.

My employers head office in NL has the largest numbers of chargers in their employee car park 252!!: again imagine how much pressure could be eased from having that open to public outside office hours.
10:56am
10:56am, 4 Oct 2024
51,075 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
Oh +1 (heart) to all that YC. :-) G
jda
11:06am
11:06am, 4 Oct 2024
17,890 posts
  •  
jda
"but still half the cost of petrol diesel on average"

Nope, it's more like double.

About This Thread

Maintained by larkim
Nattering about EVs; are you thinking about owning one? Do you own one? Are you terrified of owning one?

A thread for those with range anxiety, eco friendliness and petrol heads alike!

Some current vehicles that Fetchies have:-
HappyG Hyundai Kona 64kWh 240-280 miles range
ev-database.uk
larkim MG4 SE LR 61.7kWh usable (64kWh advertised)
ev-database.org
larkim (Now sold) Peugeot e208 46kWh usable (50kWh advertised) 180-220 miles range
ev-database.uk
ThorntonRunner Pre-facelift MG5 (LR Exclusive). 61kWh, 57kWh usable
ev-database.org
Jenelopy BYD Atto 60.5kWh usable
ev-database.org
Runningbear21 Jaguar i-Pace 84.7kWh
ev-database.org

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.