Electric car anyone?

6 lurkers | 72 watchers
22 Sep
5:16pm, 22 Sep 2024
77,721 posts
  •  
Lip Gloss
After months of research and test drives OH has gone for the Skoda Enyaq 85.
He likes the boot spaces for his golf clubs and trolley without having to fiddle with the back seats or take any clubs out of the back. Probably too big a car for me to drive but he’s happy.
26 Sep
11:02am, 26 Sep 2024
3,009 posts
  •  
Surelynot
I received a letter from DVLA advising that I will pay tax on my EV starting next year. This won't impoverish me, but removing incentives to use EVs strikes me as a poor move.
26 Sep
11:11am, 26 Sep 2024
25,681 posts
  •  
larkim
I'm a bit out of touch with VED, but I doubt £190 a year will be the make or break between ICE and EV ownership for most.

One thing I hadn't previously clocked though was that cars with a list price over £40k have to pay a higher rate; more EVs will fall into that bracket, and at £600 or so, that might be reason to think again, especially for those getting cars on some form of finance scheme; an extra £50 a month is notable in the context of a monthly payment plan.
26 Sep
11:46am, 26 Sep 2024
22,989 posts
  •  
DeeGee
Surelynot wrote:I received a letter from DVLA advising that I will pay tax on my EV starting next year. This won't impoverish me, but removing incentives to use EVs strikes me as a poor move.

Apply to retax before 01 April 2025 to enjoy tax-free motoring until 31 Mar 2026.
26 Sep
1:36pm, 26 Sep 2024
25,683 posts
  •  
larkim
Yep, there's a loophole isn't there that if you opt for a 6 month zero rate re-tax period, you can extend the period under which you don't pay the VED.

(Would be interesting to post that on the politics thread to discover whether that is immoral tax avoidance... ;-) )
26 Sep
3:42pm, 26 Sep 2024
231 posts
  •  
Yakima Canutt
Buy a second hand EV and still enjoy reduced (is expensive) or no road tax.
26 Sep
5:05pm, 26 Sep 2024
25,686 posts
  •  
larkim
You'll still have to tax the EV second hand though? Agree that second hand is the way to buy, that applies to just about all cars - that sweet spot where the "brand new" premium has evaporated, but you're effectively getting a car that still has the vast majority of its useful life still available.
26 Sep
5:10pm, 26 Sep 2024
232 posts
  •  
Yakima Canutt
Only if is post April 2017 registered I think (but going from memory so could be wrong).
26 Sep
5:11pm, 26 Sep 2024
233 posts
  •  
Yakima Canutt
My 3yo Tesla I'll have to pay road tax but I don't have to pay the premium element from next April.
26 Sep
7:44pm, 26 Sep 2024
7,733 posts
  •  
ThorntonRunner
I've not got a problem with it - we need tax revenue to fund services, and I pay significantly less tax with electricity rather than petrol/diesel so the shortfall has to be made up somehow. I'll still have significantly lower ongoing costs (aside from the environmental benefit)

About This Thread

Maintained by larkim
Nattering about EVs; are you thinking about owning one? Do you own one? Are you terrified of owning one?

A thread for those with range anxiety, eco friendliness and petrol heads alike!

Some current vehicles that Fetchies have:-
HappyG Hyundai Kona 64kWh 240-280 miles range
ev-database.uk
larkim MG4 SE LR 61.7kWh usable (64kWh advertised)
ev-database.org
larkim (Now sold) Peugeot e208 46kWh usable (50kWh advertised) 180-220 miles range
ev-database.uk
ThorntonRunner Pre-facelift MG5 (LR Exclusive). 61kWh, 57kWh usable
ev-database.org
Jenelopy BYD Atto 60.5kWh usable
ev-database.org
Runningbear21 Jaguar i-Pace 84.7kWh
ev-database.org

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.