Electric car anyone?

8 lurkers | 72 watchers
19 Sep
7:06pm, 19 Sep 2024
1,426 posts
  •  
Fenners-Reborn
I've just done some comparisons. And you're not going to like it.

I compared a base VW ID.3 against a Skoda Fabia Monte Carlo.

In my opinion the Fabia is a way better car.

However, even adding my guess of £4.5k of petrol over 3 years onto the price of the Fabia, it is still cheaper than buying the ID.3 before adding any running costs e.g. electric to the ID.3.

Is this just my scenario where electric doesn't make financial sense?
jda
19 Sep
7:49pm, 19 Sep 2024
17,832 posts
  •  
jda
What happens after 3 years? I'm expecting my kia to last about 15, it's guaranteed for 7.
19 Sep
8:17pm, 19 Sep 2024
7,719 posts
  •  
ThorntonRunner
Yep - I'm intending keeping my MG5 for at least 10 years so am very happy with the lifetime saving. Mind you, that's a good job: I paid £30k for it in May22, MG are now selling them for £20k, and the 2nd hand price for one my age is about £10k, so I can understand someone intending changing cars after 3 years being unhappy.
However apart from the direct saving of electric vs petrol fuel costs, having an EV has opened up smart tariffs which save me money on most of my electricity usage, not just car charging.
19 Sep
8:29pm, 19 Sep 2024
25,647 posts
  •  
larkim
Not sure the comparison works perfectly comparing a VW with a Skoda. As good as Skoda is these days, VW carries a premium.

Even if you prefer the spec of the Skoda etc.

Better compare say the base Peugeot 208 which is available in electric or petrol. About £7,300 lost price difference. You wouldn't recover that in charging costs Vs petrol use.
19 Sep
8:42pm, 19 Sep 2024
50,978 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
Fenners is a replacement his car every 3 years person.

I just accept that I get a slightly lower spec EV vs a petrol at same price. Doesn't bother me. If having a fancy looking car is most important thing you could prob get a 4 or 5 litre gas guzzler for a very reasonable cut down price.
20 Sep
7:32am, 20 Sep 2024
220 posts
  •  
Yakima Canutt
Currently in northern Spain on holiday and booked a hire care for a week of Hertz. Went for a compact petrol. (Kia something). At the desk I was offered a free upgrade to much bigger polestar.

Decided not to go for the upgrade but kicking myself a bit that I didn't do some homework on Europe EV charging/ downloading relevant apps etc as would have felt more comfortable with a change.

But, on reflection I think these EV upgrade offers are pretty common as hire car firms are sadly not getting the uptick on EV hires they want. (I've rented EV in the UK a few times).

Id also suggest Fenners that if the news of collapsing second hand EVs is anything to go by then check out a nearly new comparison also. Haven't spent a penny on running costs for my second hand T3 for 12months. Not likely to in foreseeable either except maybe tyres which are surprisingly good (15k a year). Brakes solid.
20 Sep
8:28am, 20 Sep 2024
22,982 posts
  •  
DeeGee
larkim wrote:Not sure the comparison works perfectly comparing a VW with a Skoda. As good as Skoda is these days, VW carries a premium. Even if you prefer the spec of the Skoda etc. Better compare say the base Peugeot 208 which is available in electric or petrol. About £7,300 lost price difference. You wouldn't recover that in charging costs Vs petrol use.

As a former Skoda driver - and I loved my Skodas - it frustrated me that I couldn't rightly compare like for like when buying my current car, as Skoda's EV selection is currently not wide enough. I wanted a vehicle that was about the same size as my Kamiq, not a beefed-up SUV the size of the Enyaq.

I had to shop around and leave Skoda, and leave the dealership with which I'd had a pretty decent few years' relationship.

As it is, the MG dealership in the town where I work happens to be right opposite my office, which kind of pushed me towards that.
20 Sep
8:44am, 20 Sep 2024
50,983 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
Yakima Canutt wrote:Currently in northern Spain on holiday and booked a hire care for a week of Hertz. Went for a compact petrol. (Kia something). At the desk I was offered a free upgrade to much bigger polestar. Decided not to go for the upgrade but kicking myself a bit that I didn't do some homework on Europe EV charging/ downloading relevant apps etc as would have felt more comfortable with a change. But, on reflection I think these EV upgrade offers are pretty common as hire car firms are sadly not getting the uptick on EV hires they want. (I've rented EV in the UK a few times). Id also suggest Fenners that if the news of collapsing second hand EVs is anything to go by then check out a nearly new comparison also. Haven't spent a penny on running costs for my second hand T3 for 12months. Not likely to in foreseeable either except maybe tyres which are surprisingly good (15k a year). Brakes solid.

Why do car rental companies have so many EVs available, do you think? I genuinely don't know if they have more than the "normal" distribution among rest of car owning population, or same, and why would there be "...hire car firms are sadly not getting the uptick on EV hires they want. " ?

Genuinely no knowledge or idea in this space. Obv I'd be happy to be given an EV as a rental car. Can also understand why someone who has never had EV might be reluctant to take one. But why would rental car companies care either way? :-) G
20 Sep
9:50am, 20 Sep 2024
22,983 posts
  •  
DeeGee
Last time I hired a car for an extended time was last summer, when I flew to Munich and then drove to Austria.

I was offered an EV, and at the time, I was tempted because I hadn't driven one until then and I thought it would be a useful experience.

However, I talked myself out of it as I didn't know how the infrastructure would be in Austria.

As it happens, it would have been absolutely ideal for the trip, as there was a roadside destination charger outside the shop next door to our flat, and there were seemingly many fast chargers in almost all the places we visited.

Although I wasn't to know that until I got there, so we drove ICE instead.

As an EV convert, I'd love to hire an electric van for my next event, but my local place doesn't have any.
20 Sep
11:04am, 20 Sep 2024
221 posts
  •  
Yakima Canutt
Think I had the same thought process as you DeeGee. Enough extra stuff to think about driving in Europe without the extra of working out the best local charging infrastructure and process.

But, next time for sure.

About This Thread

Maintained by larkim
Nattering about EVs; are you thinking about owning one? Do you own one? Are you terrified of owning one?

A thread for those with range anxiety, eco friendliness and petrol heads alike!

Some current vehicles that Fetchies have:-
HappyG Hyundai Kona 64kWh 240-280 miles range
ev-database.uk
larkim MG4 SE LR 61.7kWh usable (64kWh advertised)
ev-database.org
larkim (Now sold) Peugeot e208 46kWh usable (50kWh advertised) 180-220 miles range
ev-database.uk
ThorntonRunner Pre-facelift MG5 (LR Exclusive). 61kWh, 57kWh usable
ev-database.org
Jenelopy BYD Atto 60.5kWh usable
ev-database.org
Runningbear21 Jaguar i-Pace 84.7kWh
ev-database.org

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.