Electric car anyone?

8 lurkers | 72 watchers
10 Sep
9:12am, 10 Sep 2024
21,964 posts
  •  
Dave W
What a shit system. No joined up thinking from our Lords and Masters in the Tory party for the roll out of this infrastructure. No surprise there then.

I know. "Market Forces". Blah blah, bollox". There should have been some overarching strategy steering it, though.
10 Sep
9:35am, 10 Sep 2024
50,871 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
Windsor Wool wrote:I believe that Jaguar is owned by Tata hence the India link. The person was genuinely interested in why you’d have a stand against China and not India and was thinking it must be very hard to avoid Chinese goods. Understand now. Thanks for explaining.

Lol @Windsor Wool I couldn't remember who asked the Q hence "the person"!! Sorry.

Forgot Jaguar was Tata, hence India. But yes, while all countries have some misdemeanours, I think India is mostly world's biggest democracy and not a problem actor on world stage?

A car is a big purchase and trying to consider who and what it is funding. But yes, impossible to do consistently across all shopping. :-) G
10 Sep
10:17am, 10 Sep 2024
22,964 posts
  •  
DeeGee
Dave W wrote:What a shit system. No joined up thinking from our Lords and Masters in the Tory party for the roll out of this infrastructure. No surprise there then. I know. "Market Forces". Blah blah, bollox". There should have been some overarching strategy steering it, though.

Of course, our near neighbours over the water have regulations resolving this sort of thing. Contactless payment on all terminals, clear pricing information before charging starts, rapids by law every 60km on highways, and an obligation on property developers to provide a minimum number of chargers with every newly built commercial property.

We opted to not have to follow rules, though, so we'll be stuck with whatever the market dictates.
10 Sep
1:14pm, 10 Sep 2024
6,688 posts
  •  
quimby
DeeGee wrote:ThorntonRunner wrote: the signal in the car park is so poor that many people can't get them to work. However, they also work with an Electroverse RFID card, so that's the way I'm planning on working it

Ah, so *that's* the point of the card they sent me. I wasn't sure what use it was, given you have the app. Ta.
10 Sep
2:22pm, 10 Sep 2024
22,970 posts
  •  
DeeGee
quimby wrote:Ah, so *that's* the point of the card they sent me. I wasn't sure what use it was, given you have the app. Ta.

Plug in. Tap on the reader to start (sometimes the reader isn't super obvious, especially on destination chargers, it might be embossed somewhere on the unit). Go away and spend some time doing something fun. Come back to your car, tap the card again to stop the charge. Unplug and drive away.
11 Sep
7:29am, 11 Sep 2024
208 posts
  •  
Yakima Canutt
I think I'm a pretty average driver. 80% of the time I'm at home commuting and the range means my home/work/local charger is fine. I

Regular big journeys to Glasgow or Edinburgh I have the places I know to use and it's fine.

It's only the 15 to 20 or so days a year in on the road I need to think or worry about wider public chargers and do some planning and it's never been a big problem. Even with the rusty old Scottish public chargers on the west coast using RDIF cards.

I was hiking in Skye last weekend and Bradford was out of order, Kyle of Localsh (5miles) was taken and the this option along the next village was fine after waiting 10mins for the person ahead of me to finish and.move on.

The Netherlands is the best place for chargers but it's a very different country and driving a car there cost s fortune. But the UK system isn't that bad and there are more chargers popping up.

Try Spain and Portugal outside the cities if you want a place to complain about EV infrastructure.
11 Sep
8:33am, 11 Sep 2024
50,876 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
Interesting that Spain and Portugal are problematic YC, didn't know that - certainly France, Belgium, Holland and Germany were great. And I agree, UK is mostly fine too, just messy. Scottish West coast and islands were tricky for petrol/diesel back in the day too (no fuel, early closing, no stations for miles etc.) and required planning and forethought!

Plenty of solar charging here and at work for last few months. I like the idea of electrons straight from the sun into the car! :-) G
11 Sep
9:05am, 11 Sep 2024
4,545 posts
  •  
NordRunner
There are a lot of people in NL for the land area, whereas Norway has a vast length with few people. In terms of chargers per sq km:
NL: .65
NO: .057
DE: .27
FR: .21
UK: .15
ES: .06
11 Sep
9:13am, 11 Sep 2024
50,885 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
Probably not a great measure chargers per sq km NordRunner? Probably per head of population better? Or per mile of road. Even that is blunt, because it's about where they are distributed a lot isn't it. Still interesting though. :-) G
11 Sep
9:54am, 11 Sep 2024
212 posts
  •  
Yakima Canutt
Interesting stat. Norway has significant EV uptake but the percentage is lowest (NO is Norway?). I guess geography plays a big part.

Also are these based on all chargers or public chargers.

About This Thread

Maintained by larkim
Nattering about EVs; are you thinking about owning one? Do you own one? Are you terrified of owning one?

A thread for those with range anxiety, eco friendliness and petrol heads alike!

Some current vehicles that Fetchies have:-
HappyG Hyundai Kona 64kWh 240-280 miles range
ev-database.uk
larkim MG4 SE LR 61.7kWh usable (64kWh advertised)
ev-database.org
larkim (Now sold) Peugeot e208 46kWh usable (50kWh advertised) 180-220 miles range
ev-database.uk
ThorntonRunner Pre-facelift MG5 (LR Exclusive). 61kWh, 57kWh usable
ev-database.org
Jenelopy BYD Atto 60.5kWh usable
ev-database.org
Runningbear21 Jaguar i-Pace 84.7kWh
ev-database.org

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.