Electric car anyone?

7 lurkers | 72 watchers
28 Aug
11:42am, 28 Aug 2024
2,806 posts
  •  
HappyTimes
Currently only a concept car, but based on their recently released ice version. Sub tonne EV that would be fun to drive.

https://www.instagram.com/p/C_NB6cUtx6r/?igsh=MWFiN2tvMmZzMHF6cw==
28 Aug
11:49am, 28 Aug 2024
50,790 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
Wow, that's some crazy looking machine - not exactly a shopping car, daily commuter or family runaround! Looks like loads of fun though, agree! Wonder what the battery size and range will be? :-) G
28 Aug
11:55am, 28 Aug 2024
50,791 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
Ariel unveils electric ‘E-Nomad’ Concept
• ArielEV concept has output of 210kW (281bhp) and weighs just 896kg
• Capability of rear-wheel drive E-Nomad spans from a 3.4-second 0-60mph time to off-road rock crawling and conquering rally stages
• Newly-developed 450V 41kWh battery system
• Flax fibre bio-composite body panels are 9% lighter than carbon fibre and save 73% CO2

41kWh would be maybe a bit under 200 miles? Lighter weight, so might go longer? :-) G
28 Aug
12:22pm, 28 Aug 2024
25,448 posts
  •  
larkim
I don't think range anxiety is something the designers were really thinking about with that car!!
28 Aug
12:32pm, 28 Aug 2024
2,807 posts
  •  
HappyTimes
Currently it's at c. 150 miles range HG.
As some have said on forum as network improves range is/should be less of a concern.
Theres plenty room for the weekly shop ;-)
The environmentaly friendly body panels and car weight I thought were nice moves.
UK company that are great to deal with too :-)
28 Aug
12:33pm, 28 Aug 2024
50,792 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
Looks really innovative, and lighter weight is a good direction, agree. :-) G
1 Sep
12:22pm, 1 Sep 2024
21,765 posts
  •  
Dave W
Scientists have found a simple trick that could dramatically change how our batteries perform.
A lithium-ion battery, of the kind used in everything from our phones to our cars, is usually charged up soon after it is first made. That first charge is key: it decides how long the battery will work for, and when it will eventually deteriorate.
Now researchers have found that if that first charge is done with unusually high currents, it dramatically changes how those batteries perform.

Necessity is the mother of invention. All seems to be going in the right direction.

At the current rate (see what I did there?) of battery technology advancement, when I get a battery driven car in 5 years or so time, the battery will only need to be the size of an AAA and will drive my new car for about a thousand miles between charges, which will only take 35 seconds from a portable solar panel.

Or something like that. :-)
1 Sep
4:31pm, 1 Sep 2024
50,820 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
Got a link for that Dave? Sounds interesting. Battery tech def improving. I'm a big fan of human ingenuity and technology being able to bring us back from brink of eco disaster. But legislation has to drive the necessity to do so. :-) G
1 Sep
4:33pm, 1 Sep 2024
50,821 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
Found this one. techxplore.com :-) G
1 Sep
4:49pm, 1 Sep 2024
21,770 posts
  •  
Dave W
Was in the Observer.

About This Thread

Maintained by larkim
Nattering about EVs; are you thinking about owning one? Do you own one? Are you terrified of owning one?

A thread for those with range anxiety, eco friendliness and petrol heads alike!

Some current vehicles that Fetchies have:-
HappyG Hyundai Kona 64kWh 240-280 miles range
ev-database.uk
larkim MG4 SE LR 61.7kWh usable (64kWh advertised)
ev-database.org
larkim (Now sold) Peugeot e208 46kWh usable (50kWh advertised) 180-220 miles range
ev-database.uk
ThorntonRunner Pre-facelift MG5 (LR Exclusive). 61kWh, 57kWh usable
ev-database.org
Jenelopy BYD Atto 60.5kWh usable
ev-database.org
Runningbear21 Jaguar i-Pace 84.7kWh
ev-database.org

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.