Electric car anyone?

4 lurkers | 72 watchers
11:40am
11:40am, 4 Oct 2024
25,749 posts
  •  
larkim
"Fast" commercial chargers (7, 11, 22kw ones) are cheaper than rapids by some degree. But if you're seeing 50kW chargers at 20-40p then that is definitely on the very cheap side of things, even if the prices have started to fall a little down in England.
11:51am
11:51am, 4 Oct 2024
2,652 posts
  •  
MudMeanderer
Is it not just a case of manufacturers starting to panic as vehicular sales generally waver? Vehicular debt gets significant and a younger generation is increasingly not seeing ownership as something aspirational - they'll hire/use car clubs as needed, but not lock into an expensive loan.

At the more expensive end, EVs will be more susceptible to this.
12:03pm
12:03pm, 4 Oct 2024
7,754 posts
  •  
ThorntonRunner
Petrol prices around here are about £1.35/litre - at 40 mpg that's 15p/mile. Most rapid chargers I've seen are 70-80p/kWh - I have seen 63p if you have the electroverse discount. So anyone relying on rapid chargers is not saving anything - in fact paying more, especially over winter when range is lower
12:06pm
12:06pm, 4 Oct 2024
51,082 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
Yes MM, but why are vehicle sales wavering? Suggestion is for EVs it's the various obstacles people are mentioning.

If you are saying "all vehicle sales" (i.e. including petrol/diesel) then that's not an EV problem. That's a good thing (environment wise) of course.

I think what manufacturers are saying is about EV sales stalling (and I assumed dropping as a proportion relative to overall car sales, rather than just as an absolute number).

Great if kids are moving to not owning cars. Can only be good. :-) G
12:12pm
12:12pm, 4 Oct 2024
51,083 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
Guess we are luckier up here then - 35p and 59p in Ullapool and Stornoway for my last 2 charges away from home (50kW - ChargePlace Scotland service). :-) G
12:15pm
12:15pm, 4 Oct 2024
51,084 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
There's a 150kW in next village to me that is 26p/kWh + 7p/min. That's a new one on me! :-) G
12:21pm
12:21pm, 4 Oct 2024
7,755 posts
  •  
ThorntonRunner
Just checked - the three sets of rapid chargers closest to me (non-motorway) are 78p, 73p.and 78p including the 8% electroverse discount. The nearest 7kW chargers (at the park and ride) are 50p
12:26pm
12:26pm, 4 Oct 2024
51,085 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
Quentin Wilson on BBC news just now saying that second hand prices are parity now (which I'd say is not quite true) but that cost to charge publicly is now no lower than petrol diesel (as jda and others have said). And people make choices based on money, not just environmental benefits (true).

I disagree with him that it needs to be "more incentives for private new car EV buying". Nope, from enviro point of view we need to make buying petrol / diesel new higher and generally put subsidies into public transport. Less new private ownership generally.

But definitely need to make charging, esp for those with no home charging available, a more level playing field. :-) G

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by larkim
Nattering about EVs; are you thinking about owning one? Do you own one? Are you terrified of owning one?

A thread for those with range anxiety, eco friendliness and petrol heads alike!

Some current vehicles that Fetchies have:-
HappyG Hyundai Kona 64kWh 240-280 miles range
ev-database.uk
larkim MG4 SE LR 61.7kWh usable (64kWh advertised)
ev-database.org
larkim (Now sold) Peugeot e208 46kWh usable (50kWh advertised) 180-220 miles range
ev-database.uk
ThorntonRunner Pre-facelift MG5 (LR Exclusive). 61kWh, 57kWh usable
ev-database.org
Jenelopy BYD Atto 60.5kWh usable
ev-database.org
Runningbear21 Jaguar i-Pace 84.7kWh
ev-database.org

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.