Electric car anyone?

8 lurkers | 72 watchers
11 Aug
11:37am, 11 Aug 2024
50,669 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
There are some amazing looking electric super cars. Not my price range though!

However I'm most encouraged at how second hand prices are coming down. My Hyundai Kona down to £16K or so, 3 yrs old 30K miles looking like perfect condition. I'm thinking I'll get cheapest I can next year when I buy, then rather than keeping forever, I might upgrade in 3 yrs time, as I think tech is still changing. Solid state batteries coming etc. :-) G
11 Aug
3:08pm, 11 Aug 2024
180 posts
  •  
Yakima Canutt
Battery degradation studies are also showing better than expected outcomes which is encouraging for holding 2nd hand value.
11 Aug
4:13pm, 11 Aug 2024
50,672 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
Yeah, I'll prob pay over the odds and buy from a main dealer with 2 or more years warranty hopefully. Battery degradation really not worrying me. You could be unlucky but then hopefully argue the toss with manufacturer and get repair or replacement at no cost. It really does feel mainstream and no downside now. For anyone who has off road parking so can charge at home and doesn't need to drive 600 miles with no pee stop(!) I really can't understand why people getting a car today would NOT get electric! :-) G
11 Aug
10:12pm, 11 Aug 2024
2,801 posts
  •  
HappyTimes
'I really can't understand why people getting a car today would NOT get electric! :-) G

I think yourself (and indeed many on Fetch) are out of touch witha y peoples reality in the UK.
For starters many of "us" just do not have the budget to (yet) consider electric as an option, even if there was.no other reason why we didn't go electric.

Clearly with most still not buying electric there are for many a combination of reasons (concerns/limiting factors).

Current "weekend special car aside" I have spent over £3k on 1 car iny lifetime and that was still sub £7k brand new (i10 I still have, though it's probably last legs).

https://www.swlondon"er.co.uk/life/20032024-brits-motor-vehicles#:~:text=Data%20gathered%20from%20YouGov%20found,%C2%A330%2C000%20on%20their%20car.
11 Aug
10:36pm, 11 Aug 2024
20,108 posts
  •  
Gooner
Money is by far the biggest limiting factor for me too. My last car was by far my most expensive at 8k on finance and I still have it 6 years later and whilst I would like to replace it and will look at the company lease scheme when it becomes available later this year, the likelihood is that I will keep running my diesel Mondeo for at least a few more years as I can't justify spending so much money, only to lose so much in depreciation.
12 Aug
8:13am, 12 Aug 2024
50,677 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
HT, you're quite right to correct me there. My apologies. My comparison was meant to be between spending 10K plus on a second hand car either ICE or EV and on medium sized multi person car rather than micro car. My emphasis was more on "for a comparable size and type of car, why would anyone not choose electric vs. ICE". The type of car you are describing is not available for electric (though actually you yourself posted some examples of micro cars that were electric, but I'm not familiar with that part of the market).

And as I've said before, I fully agree that continuing to run an older car, as long as reasonably fuel efficient and passing its MOT so emissions are minimized, is actually *better* environmentally than scrapping a car and buying a newer one. Reuse, repair before new every time. :-) G
12 Aug
8:14am, 12 Aug 2024
50,678 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
Just a wee fix on the link you posted too... swlondoner.co.uk
12 Aug
8:43am, 12 Aug 2024
50,679 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
That was a very interesting article, though I don't *think* (let me know if I got this wrong) that it includes private leased, company leased or company supplied cars? Just personal purchased cars? And I think leasing is 30% of the car market? (Again, might be wrong on that).

I think leasing is part of the problem from a climate and sustainability point of view. It encourages people to only think of a car as a monthly cost, getting a new one regularly, disposing of them after only 2, 3 or 4 years, completely the wrong model from climate viewpoint. But that's for a different thread. (And yes, I am part of this problem, having gone from a bought vehicle to a leased vehicle for the last time I changed.) :-) G
12 Aug
10:43am, 12 Aug 2024
2,802 posts
  •  
HappyTimes
HG, Firstly thanks for link correction. It was just the first link that comes up when I "asked Google" how much people in UK spend on buying car.
I didn't look fully into detail of article, so leasing part may well be as you say.
That as I think you agree is adding to problem, rather than being a positive.

The circles I live among far more do NOT have the type/level of employment for car to be "a perk' .
Wider population (I think) are not all middle management/office types.

Now, while there is access for a number to the work scheme or personal leasing we do need to look at those that don't.

I don't think a large ice car being replaced by an even larger EV car is great solution. (We have had that chat before).

I had a quick look on auto trader and set some random filters: £10k, less than 80k miles, no older than 8 years old (can't mind what else if anything) other than a lot of Renault Zoe's there was (if I recall correctly) less than 25/30 cars UK wide.
So for purchase for majority of UK it's still not a great option (yet).

Second hand values falling like a stone on EV is a blessing for some (yourself) , but may be rather concerning for others.
Yet still with these falls I would say for comparable initial spend budgets you still get a lot more car for money with Ice than Ev.

That Renault 5 homage new EV looked pretty good, still £25k + for small car hard to justify for many.
12 Aug
10:19pm, 12 Aug 2024
183 posts
  •  
Yakima Canutt
Over the other side of the world in China, EVs now account for over 50% of new sales. They are cheaper and more readily accessible.

x.com

About This Thread

Maintained by larkim
Nattering about EVs; are you thinking about owning one? Do you own one? Are you terrified of owning one?

A thread for those with range anxiety, eco friendliness and petrol heads alike!

Some current vehicles that Fetchies have:-
HappyG Hyundai Kona 64kWh 240-280 miles range
ev-database.uk
larkim MG4 SE LR 61.7kWh usable (64kWh advertised)
ev-database.org
larkim (Now sold) Peugeot e208 46kWh usable (50kWh advertised) 180-220 miles range
ev-database.uk
ThorntonRunner Pre-facelift MG5 (LR Exclusive). 61kWh, 57kWh usable
ev-database.org
Jenelopy BYD Atto 60.5kWh usable
ev-database.org
Runningbear21 Jaguar i-Pace 84.7kWh
ev-database.org

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.