Electric car anyone?

1 lurker | 72 watchers
Jun 2021
5:06pm, 1 Jun 2021
14,617 posts
  •  
larkim
Aha, I should have paid attention more to your various relocations!

So I tried a rural location - TQ13 9UL - got 16.26p / 5p. Still not what I'm paying, but then if I put my postcode in for today I get 16.67p / 5p so it's cheaper in rural Manaton than it is in north Cheshire.

(I hope I've not inadvertently correctly guessed your postcode!!)
Jun 2021
5:08pm, 1 Jun 2021
2,234 posts
  •  
WtnMel
Only just discovered this thread and because I 'may' have to replace my 11yr old 160,000 miles Fiesta at some point, I have "Investigate EV vs. petrol-driven vehicles" on my to-do list. So I'll go back through this thread to see what's already been discussed.

That "Investigate EV" note covers a multitude of sins as I'm already aware (without knowing the details!) that there are various types of electric vehicles (battery, plug-in hybrids etc). But I came across a new term last week when browsing the current range of Fiestas. It was MHEV which means 'Mild Hybrid Electric Vehicle' aka a small electric motor to assist the petrol engine. I'm sure there will be plenty of other terms to get to grips with once I start investigating properly ..
Jun 2021
5:17pm, 1 Jun 2021
14,619 posts
  •  
larkim
Unless it is a PHEV or BEV as far as I'm concerned it remains a "petrol driven vehicle" as all of the power to the wheels comes from the petrol tank! (IMHO!)
Jun 2021
6:05pm, 1 Jun 2021
38,871 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
Even PHEV is really only a stepping stone. Some of them do less than 30 miles electric, and as a previous poster (sorry can't remember who) pointed out, you can't even necessarily choose that, as the engine management chooses when it will be petrol.

:-) Budget (and up front capital vs. ongoing expenditure ratio)
:-) New or used
:-) Owning vs PCP/PCH (i.e. leasing)
:-) Home charging / or charging elsewhere
:-) Max distance you want to travel without a 45 min charging stop
:-) Usual car stuff about space, seats, look, twiddles, speed etc.

The things that I'd say are neutral now (so not something to worry about)

+ Reliability
+ Compatibility
+ Driveability
+ Safety

cos they're all pretty normal, high quality, with guarantees and most things plug into most things etc.

Give us a shout if you want WtnMel. Some of us have been through some of these comparisons already. :-) G
Jun 2021
3:47pm, 2 Jun 2021
38,881 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
Pah, just when I thought I had something ordered, dealer comes back and says not got that colour mate. Typisk! Another £50 per month for a paint job? Errr, I don't think so. Back to getting quotes again. I do hate capitalism! :-) G
Jun 2021
4:13pm, 2 Jun 2021
7,136 posts
  •  
paul the builder
Didn't have you down for being fussy on colour, G?
Jun 2021
4:15pm, 2 Jun 2021
38,884 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
Internal governance paul! 8 colours, I was fine with about 5 of them (drew the line at the baby blue and plastic red, but missus didn't want black, white or grey either! So there were only 3 colours left that were acceptable. And the preferred one wasn't available! No way am I paying hundreds of pounds. So it will be dodgy dark red, for no extra money, thank you!) :-) G
Jun 2021
6:11pm, 2 Jun 2021
2,236 posts
  •  
WtnMel
Thanks Happy G(rrr) - I'm not planning to start investigating just yet (more of a longer-term "need-to-do for when I have to decide" task) but I'll keep an eye on this thread in the meantime and bear your suggestion in mind about not re-inventing the wheel (so to speak) and using the power of Fetch instead.

BTW - my current Fiesta is silver. Not through choice - it was the one that had the accessory mix I wanted (bluetooth/usb socket) but I could have easily ended up with a red or blue one. I've since discovered how silver hides the dirt and makes it less obvious to passers-by you haven't washed your car for weeks ;)
Jun 2021
6:53pm, 2 Jun 2021
14,628 posts
  •  
larkim
I don't think I've ever selected a colour for a car. I've either bought 2nd hand or it's been "you get what you're given" for the price agreed. Actually, thinking about it I did get a choice between pale yellow and white when I distress purchased my Fiat Panda after 2.5 pages of fails on my beloved Fiat Barchetta...
jda
Jun 2021
7:53pm, 2 Jun 2021
10,267 posts
  •  
jda
I don't think I've ever washed a car :-)

About This Thread

Maintained by larkim
Nattering about EVs; are you thinking about owning one? Do you own one? Are you terrified of owning one?

A thread for those with range anxiety, eco friendliness and petrol heads alike!

Some current vehicles that Fetchies have:-
HappyG Hyundai Kona 64kWh 240-280 miles range
ev-database.uk
larkim MG4 SE LR 61.7kWh usable (64kWh advertised)
ev-database.org
larkim (Now sold) Peugeot e208 46kWh usable (50kWh advertised) 180-220 miles range
ev-database.uk
ThorntonRunner Pre-facelift MG5 (LR Exclusive). 61kWh, 57kWh usable
ev-database.org
Jenelopy BYD Atto 60.5kWh usable
ev-database.org
Runningbear21 Jaguar i-Pace 84.7kWh
ev-database.org

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.