Electric car anyone?

5 lurkers | 72 watchers
Jul 2021
12:11pm, 9 Jul 2021
20,919 posts
  •  
Carpathius
The biggest barrier will be cost. We've never spent more than £2500 on a car.
Jul 2021
12:57pm, 9 Jul 2021
22,820 posts
  •  
Dvorak
Something like that TR. But to be serious, they need to be bigger. That might pass at a motorway service station, where people are taking a break anyway, but not in a normal urban fuelling situation. And the price! Possibly, not any cheaper than the more economical ICE cars.

In fact, Scotland's biggest charging hub (when opened: 26 bays) is in Big Town next to me (Falkirk). falkirk.gov.uk Visit the Kelpies, charge your car! Pity they never added an e-bike station to it, but hey ho.

Whilst it was a free ride, a charge to charge was introduced in April. How outrageous! falkirkherald.co.uk
Jul 2021
2:28pm, 9 Jul 2021
39,122 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
I don't even have a problem with the 30p and even 40p per kWh charging, if it just all worked and was easily accessible and you could pay easily.

Then market forces would kick in. In the same way that if I could I avoided using a motorway service station for petrol and rather fill at a supermarket (20p per gallon / 20% differential), then I would avoid charging at EV charging places with such high per kWh prices.

But you need to know that they are there and that they work in an emergency or at least urgent necessity.

Carps, right, so at £2.5K you've always been buying second hand (me too). Obviously as a relatively new market there is very little available second hand. And what there is of course is older technology, and technology is moving fast, so most info I've been getting and putting in here is all about latest available stuff.

But you can find second hand - autotrader.co.uk

10 year old Nissan Leaf, 8 year old Renault Zoe - tend to be low mileage for age, because people don't do lots of miles in their electrics (even though that's how you get biggest savings?!) Sorry I can't help much for your case.
Jul 2021
3:10pm, 9 Jul 2021
20,920 posts
  •  
Carpathius
I've heard that the batteries do not have a long life - 10-15 years - so a second hand one is probably not a good investment.

If that's correct though.
Jul 2021
3:16pm, 9 Jul 2021
15,051 posts
  •  
larkim
Ive got a BP Chargemaster, G. Just came with the motability car so I didn't have to choose.
Jul 2021
4:12pm, 9 Jul 2021
39,125 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
Well, depends how long you think a car should last Carps! Some cars would have major engine failure at 100K or 150K miles, so a 10-15 year old car might have a major cost of a replacement part, surely?

A quick google says that replacement battery might be a few thousand pounds (so yes, very expensive) but actually, you'd be very unlucky for the battery to give out completely. I don't know how you'd assess that. A further Google shows actually that replacement batteries are being offered for less than I thought and they are actually upgrades, because newer batteries have a bigger capacity than the original!

cleantechnica.com

Like with ICE cars, I'd go with mileage rather than age (because that reflects how many recharges they have had) and most of them seem to be pretty low mileage.

However, caveat, I'm no expert and your concerns were exactly why I went new!

Plug in hybrid might be a way for you to dip your toe in the water? Lots of choice, plenty second hand, cheaper and if there were a problem with the battery you wouldn't be high and dry?
Jul 2021
6:17pm, 9 Jul 2021
15,052 posts
  •  
larkim
We don't yet know the lifespan of the current generation of batteries in real world use. Clearly consumers will get nervy about it but in 10-15 years time there may well be a strong aftermarket for batteries which make any concerns today less relevant.
Jul 2021
9:31pm, 9 Jul 2021
387 posts
  •  
fuzzyduck79
Might be of interest to some here:

monevator.com
Jul 2021
7:49am, 10 Jul 2021
39,128 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
Thanks for, that seems like a very honest appraisal.

Given the age and cost of cars referred to it might answer Crpathius's situation?

My first run in the car today is to fill 2 x 5l Jerry cans with petrol - for the mower and quad. Gradually replacing garden equipment with battery. Strimmer first... maybe mower when it dies! :-) G
Jul 2021
7:56am, 10 Jul 2021
13,601 posts
  •  
Ultracat
I have a VW iD3, very smooth. Waiting on getting charger installed, charging off mains just now.

Sorry if asked before but it is very quiet and I wonder for the safety of those who rely on hearing to cross the road if I can fit something to make a noise?

About This Thread

Maintained by larkim
Nattering about EVs; are you thinking about owning one? Do you own one? Are you terrified of owning one?

A thread for those with range anxiety, eco friendliness and petrol heads alike!

Some current vehicles that Fetchies have:-
HappyG Hyundai Kona 64kWh 240-280 miles range
ev-database.uk
larkim MG4 SE LR 61.7kWh usable (64kWh advertised)
ev-database.org
larkim (Now sold) Peugeot e208 46kWh usable (50kWh advertised) 180-220 miles range
ev-database.uk
ThorntonRunner Pre-facelift MG5 (LR Exclusive). 61kWh, 57kWh usable
ev-database.org
Jenelopy BYD Atto 60.5kWh usable
ev-database.org
Runningbear21 Jaguar i-Pace 84.7kWh
ev-database.org

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.