Electric car anyone?

9 lurkers | 72 watchers
Jul 2021
9:03pm, 11 Jul 2021
22,845 posts
  •  
Dvorak
Keep a gallon at home, just in case larkim. I do.
Jul 2021
9:22pm, 11 Jul 2021
15,057 posts
  •  
larkim
To be fair we used to have 5l of unleaded for the mower. But then we had a diesel car!! Still not a full tank though, but in fairness I've never had that level of desperation for fuel.
Jul 2021
7:35am, 12 Jul 2021
39,133 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
I've never run out fuel or put wrong fuel in an ICE car. I can see my wife forgetting to charge car overnight and then being annoyed she doesn't have enough for her journey next day. But that's just organisation in my mind. Not a problem for me.
Jul 2021
4:31pm, 12 Jul 2021
5,248 posts
  •  
BanjoBax
Would be interested , couple of issues for us:
- communal unallocated parking, until parking at home fully covered by charging points don't see how can consider it :-(
- winter use range anxiety - live in the sticks - can take several hours to get to/from work, creeping along with lights, heater & blowers on

Thinking of winter, how does the torque on electrics cope with snow & ice, is there an equivalent of pulling away in a higher gear?
Jul 2021
4:54pm, 12 Jul 2021
15,064 posts
  •  
larkim
Didn't experience snow / ice, but it would be fair to say that if the car is facing uphill on a wet or slippery road surface then it's pretty easy to break traction with the front wheels from a standing start.

But not so much that you'd worry about it feeling any different to any other vehicle on a slippy surface if you're suitably gentle with the right foot.

Range for me fell from about 185 at the moment down to 130 over the winter. Whether that was the heaters, or the temp impact on the battery, I don't know. Lights less of an issue as most are LEDs so pretty low power usage.

Home charging is the key it seems to me; which I can see being an issue with communal parking arrangements etc.
Jul 2021
5:00pm, 12 Jul 2021
39,141 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
Haven't done a winter yet, but yes, I expect a drop in efficiency over winter (that's also true, though to a lesser extent for ICE cars - actually AC in summer is a big drain on ICE). However, I'd just do a distance calculation - if you get a car with a 300 mile range and it drops to 250 or even 200 - how long is your journey? Just fill up before you leave (e.g. at work or venue near work).

Home charging is brilliant but only if you can get it, obv. But is there anywhere close to home that you could regularly use? If you are in a town or suburban location there are lots of charging places. Is there one nearby?

zap-map.com

Doesn't have to be quicker than 7kW (not 50, 100 or 150kW like the super dooper ones). Home is only 7kW and that will charge 60kWh (e.g. 250 miles) in 8 hours.

But yes Banjo, your circumstance may not be well served by electric. :-(
Jul 2021
5:05pm, 12 Jul 2021
5,249 posts
  •  
BanjoBax
Cheers for the info Larkim - eased my winter range worries :)
jda
Jul 2021
5:05pm, 12 Jul 2021
10,495 posts
  •  
jda
I would hope any modern electric car could do a better job of traction control than a driver trying it manually.
Jul 2021
5:06pm, 12 Jul 2021
5,250 posts
  •  
BanjoBax
And cheers :) G
Jul 2021
5:11pm, 12 Jul 2021
26,882 posts
  •  
Dave.O
Drove mine 25 miles to work in the snow this past winter with no issues.

About This Thread

Maintained by larkim
Nattering about EVs; are you thinking about owning one? Do you own one? Are you terrified of owning one?

A thread for those with range anxiety, eco friendliness and petrol heads alike!

Some current vehicles that Fetchies have:-
HappyG Hyundai Kona 64kWh 240-280 miles range
ev-database.uk
larkim MG4 SE LR 61.7kWh usable (64kWh advertised)
ev-database.org
larkim (Now sold) Peugeot e208 46kWh usable (50kWh advertised) 180-220 miles range
ev-database.uk
ThorntonRunner Pre-facelift MG5 (LR Exclusive). 61kWh, 57kWh usable
ev-database.org
Jenelopy BYD Atto 60.5kWh usable
ev-database.org
Runningbear21 Jaguar i-Pace 84.7kWh
ev-database.org

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.