Electric car anyone?

6 lurkers | 72 watchers
Jul 2021
11:23am, 15 Jul 2021
3,593 posts
  •  
Bob!
I'm waiting for my 60 plate Suzuki swift to die.

If buying now I had the e-niro as my favourite. Had you looked at that one when you made your decision G?
Jul 2021
11:38am, 15 Jul 2021
39,198 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
Hi Bob, yes, I did. It's effectively the same platform Hyundai Kona, Kia e-Niro (and one other, I forget which?) but the Kia was more expensive than the Hyundai - both up front cost and lease cost.

My purchase priorities were:

Buy second hand with cash if poss (wasn't - no second hands, or all too new and expensive)
(Can't buy new, too expensive) so...
Lease new (shorter lease preferred because might not like the experience, then lowest price, obv)

Car priorities were:
Range (within price)

That was it really - then look, feel, gadgets, but all very much secondary.

The e-Niro was same, but 50 quid more a month!

Remember, lease deals change all the time, based on manufacturer offers to the wholesalers and retailers etc. And based on their calculation of residual values. Look for deals. Sometimes week to week a car will drop by £50 a month.

:-) G
Jul 2021
11:44am, 15 Jul 2021
3,594 posts
  •  
Bob!
Cheers G
that will help me when I need to look, range is most important for me. Need about 220 miles for going to Mum's and back, and about 200 for Football (I live quite a way from the team I support).

The 280 or so on these should give me enough real world mileage!
Jul 2021
12:10pm, 15 Jul 2021
39,199 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
The MGs (ZS and MG 5) only did 200 and 240 from memory. Certainly considerably less. Nothing else in the price range did more.

The Skoda Enyaq is a bit more money, same range and nicer looking. But a 4 year lease was too long a commitment for me. 3 was my max and 2 was preferable because this is new stuff for me.

Lease prices are weird. Some cars go DOWN with shorter leases, but most go down with longer leases and shorter leases cost more. Again, lots of shopping around and negotiating available.

I got metallic paint (careful, often an extra), servicing and 20 quid per month off, with a bit of haggling! :-) G
Jul 2021
12:12pm, 15 Jul 2021
39,200 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
Also, on lease, watch out for annual mileage (do not go over it, nasty per mile penalties - from 12p to 20p a mile - that's hundreds of pounds per 1K miles over).

But again, play with the up front - some of them have a sweet spot where it drops right off. Generally, put the minimum up front, because otherwise you are just paying them to give you money, if you see what I mean.
Jul 2021
12:38pm, 15 Jul 2021
3,595 posts
  •  
Bob!
Where do you look for the lease deals.
I looked on carwow recently, looking for lease and all that came back were purchase prices.
Jul 2021
12:48pm, 15 Jul 2021
39,201 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
I'll post some links images bit Bob. Not at PC now.
Jul 2021
12:49pm, 15 Jul 2021
39,202 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
*in a bit
Jul 2021
1:11pm, 15 Jul 2021
39,203 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
Right, I used a few

For general filtering of what is out there, by price: Auto Lease Compare

autoleasecompare.com

Lots of scrolling - there's no filter for range or size of car

Once you've got a specific make then for best deals I found Cars 2 Buy quite good

cars2buy.co.uk

Then play with the lease term (2, 3 or 4 years), up front payment (max 6 or 9, but try 3 or 1) and most importantly mileage. Lower is cheaper, but make sure you can stick to it. I normally do 10,000 miles a year. I reckoned being electric I'd do less and we have a second car in the house anyway. But actually, you save more in fuel and running costs with an electric with higher mileage. So do your maths!!

:-) G
Jul 2021
1:35pm, 15 Jul 2021
5,961 posts
  •  
Southcoastpete
My work place is looking to offer special deals in leasing electric/hybrid cars.

Looks interesting, but how does having a charger at home work in a 1 bed flat? My car is parked in a allocated parking space away from my home.

About This Thread

Maintained by larkim
Nattering about EVs; are you thinking about owning one? Do you own one? Are you terrified of owning one?

A thread for those with range anxiety, eco friendliness and petrol heads alike!

Some current vehicles that Fetchies have:-
HappyG Hyundai Kona 64kWh 240-280 miles range
ev-database.uk
larkim MG4 SE LR 61.7kWh usable (64kWh advertised)
ev-database.org
larkim (Now sold) Peugeot e208 46kWh usable (50kWh advertised) 180-220 miles range
ev-database.uk
ThorntonRunner Pre-facelift MG5 (LR Exclusive). 61kWh, 57kWh usable
ev-database.org
Jenelopy BYD Atto 60.5kWh usable
ev-database.org
Runningbear21 Jaguar i-Pace 84.7kWh
ev-database.org

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.