Electric car anyone?

5 lurkers | 72 watchers
Jul 2021
4:18pm, 16 Jul 2021
39,222 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
Move to Scotland? Not as hot and the motorways aren't blocked? Sorry, couldn't resist!

Um, I believe AC does drain the battery quite a bit (remember it also hammers your ICE fuel consumption too). If you were low it would be a bad thing. But I guess, like with a car, you wouldn't want to travelling too low on fuel?

But I haven't done it, so can't speak from experience. Larks, or WW or anyone else, how is slow and AC on (presumably) affecting your battery?
jda
Jul 2021
4:25pm, 16 Jul 2021
10,514 posts
  •  
jda
I’d have thought that the battery doesn’t drain much when you’re barely moving, unless you’re using a lot of heating or air con.
Jul 2021
4:25pm, 16 Jul 2021
5,201 posts
  •  
Windsor Wool
big, haha!! But, yes clearly car / driver / driving mix dependent. I'll try and keep the size 6s under control though, point taken :-)

I'll keep watching the average. Should tick down a little as the weather stays warm I suppose but dodging to the shops for the BBQ stuff won't help!

carp - you'd be in the same situation as if your ICE vehicle were running low, wouldn't you? Rubbish to get stuck though, sorry to read that :-(
Jul 2021
4:27pm, 16 Jul 2021
39,223 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
Sorry, yes, WW much more polite than me. Sorry you were stuck on motorway(s), that's always sh*t. I used to commute M3, M25, M11 and back every day. I have spent a lot of time stationary or crawling on motorways in my time.
Jul 2021
4:28pm, 16 Jul 2021
39,224 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
Actually it was probably A3, M25, A12, but M25 is enough of a motorway to have sympathies. And I did the full M25 in a day. Usually anti clockwise, both ways! :-O
Jul 2021
6:25pm, 16 Jul 2021
26,886 posts
  •  
Dave.O
I was using my heater over winter because I refuse to drive a cold car and was preheating it 10 minutes before leaving and, with the ambient temperature I was getting between 220 to 230 miles to a charge. But take today where I haven't been using the heater or air-con recently and today's charge showed 265 miles.

Bear in mind the charging also takes into consideration on how you have previously been driving and also I'm not light on the accelerator pedal.
Jul 2021
6:28pm, 16 Jul 2021
6,015 posts
  •  
Fizz :-)
My handbook recommends using the heated seats where possible in winter instead of turning up the heater.

I’m assuming it’s the principle of only heating the bit that’s needed.
Jul 2021
6:44pm, 16 Jul 2021
15,102 posts
  •  
larkim
I think slow driving doesn't really cause efficiency problems as the energy required to move the car forward is less at lower speeds due to air resistance impacts growing exponentially with speed (terminology may be wrong there!), so a slow plod through traffic jams would be ok for a BEV. A ICE car burns fuel when stationary when the engine is ticking over, the energy use when stationary is far less in a BEV.

Obviously, air con or heating use would change that a bit so sitting icy cold in a traffic jam would use the battery but not enormously.
Jul 2021
6:46pm, 16 Jul 2021
26,887 posts
  •  
Dave.O
Yea it's recommended to use heated seats and steering wheel but screw that I want to be comfortable when I drive.
Jul 2021
10:26pm, 16 Jul 2021
20,952 posts
  •  
Carpathius
Well, aircon won't have any effect on this ICE, because it doesn't work. Stupid contraption.

About This Thread

Maintained by larkim
Nattering about EVs; are you thinking about owning one? Do you own one? Are you terrified of owning one?

A thread for those with range anxiety, eco friendliness and petrol heads alike!

Some current vehicles that Fetchies have:-
HappyG Hyundai Kona 64kWh 240-280 miles range
ev-database.uk
larkim MG4 SE LR 61.7kWh usable (64kWh advertised)
ev-database.org
larkim (Now sold) Peugeot e208 46kWh usable (50kWh advertised) 180-220 miles range
ev-database.uk
ThorntonRunner Pre-facelift MG5 (LR Exclusive). 61kWh, 57kWh usable
ev-database.org
Jenelopy BYD Atto 60.5kWh usable
ev-database.org
Runningbear21 Jaguar i-Pace 84.7kWh
ev-database.org

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.