Electric car anyone?

2 lurkers | 72 watchers
Jul 2021
9:32am, 21 Jul 2021
15,141 posts
  •  
larkim
Maybe I meant heat pump? I know there's *something* different!!
Jul 2021
10:47am, 21 Jul 2021
7,197 posts
  •  
paul the builder
Right - a reversible heat-pump can be used to both heat and cool.

Would be more efficient, but will also work more gradually (than what we're used to now with ICE waste heat use kicking in very powerfully once engine is warm, and conventional AC) in both directions. Which could be annoying for some consumers, I'd think. In cold weather, can probably mitigate by seat heating in advance. In hot weather? Hmm.

nissan-global.com

(if that's too tech for anyone, this is less so)
volkswagen.co.uk
Jul 2021
11:09am, 21 Jul 2021
15,144 posts
  •  
larkim
The car definitely cools quickly (in my one), so it feels indistiguishable from a "normal" car air con in that regard. Maybe it combines a heat pump with a more traditional setup.

Might have to try the efficiency thing. Must admit, last week I was getting 4.3m/kWh and this week so far it's been 4.1m/kWh on my normal commute, so perhaps the higher need for aircon this week is costing me. THough bizarrely predicted range (which is supposed to be predicated on recent driving / consumption history as well as ambient temps I think) has gone up!
Jul 2021
11:15am, 21 Jul 2021
39,261 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
I think I'm averaging 4.1 or 4.2 miles per kWh. The motorway journey was down to 3.8 or something? If I have a longer journey, I might try the aircon on / off for 15 mins (though I might have to close the actual vents as the AC is pretty icy!)

The new BMW i4 is out at end of year. I've seen lease options already - £740 per month. Ouch! In a couple of years I'm looking to see what I can swap to though. I'll start looking early 2023! :-) G
Jul 2021
11:20am, 21 Jul 2021
7,198 posts
  •  
paul the builder
""(though I might have to close the actual vents as the AC is pretty icy!)""

That's an unnecessarily difficult, and unfair test. Just set the climate control how you want it and try to see what the effect is (on a hot day).
jda
Jul 2021
11:40am, 21 Jul 2021
10,528 posts
  •  
jda
I got 3kW from a few secs of googling car aircon. I was surprised it was such a high number, I agree that's similar to what we had in Japan for a room. But that's what the interweb appeared to be telling me.
Jul 2021
2:16pm, 21 Jul 2021
39,266 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
From environment thread...

Ooh, we've got our new smart meter in home display working now, and it's *very* instructive. My wife and I have just been running around the house turning off lights and trying the kettle and electric oven do to the real time Watt display. :-O

Has made my wife check what type of bulbs are in her stable lights (think they are old fluorescent tubes). The newer lights for the outdoor arena are all LED so they shouldn't be too bad.

I've just changed my car charging back to 00:30-04:30 only, because the other 4 hours to do second half of the charge cost 3 x as much! £1.50 for half charge and £4.50 for rest of charge, whereas if I just did the second half of charge the next night it would just have been another £1.50.

Or from an environment point of view, it would have been "spare" energy, reducing total demand rise in the morning, and filling in the trough of the wee small hours.

Fascinating actually! :-) G
Jul 2021
2:30pm, 21 Jul 2021
149 posts
  •  
theOtherRichard
If you're on Octopus :-) G (and you are, iirc) they have a really simple Web API that you can call to get half-hourly consumption data. [Or you can as an Agile customer. I don't see why Go wouldn't work.]
The graphs I can bore people in my household with are legion..!
Jul 2021
2:45pm, 21 Jul 2021
15,147 posts
  •  
larkim
And on their new site you can download spreadsheets of Octopus smartmeter data to get every half hour's reading for as long as you want. Even more spreadsheet goodness.

As it happens I was looking at that last night after my wallcharger decided to ignore the programmed schedule and started charging the car during the higher rate period. Annoyingly it seems to do this every few weeks and almost always when someone other than me plugs the car in. If it's me, I notice that the light goes green, but no-one else seems to bother looking!

I don't know if it is really fair to say that nocturnal electricity is "spare" energy in much the same way that saying you only fly abroad on last minute flights with spare seats isn't quite the same as saying you have no carbon footprint from flights. Your nocturnal usage is "predicted" to a point and thus the supply is made available, just as demand for flights includes an expectation of people searching for last minute capacity. Huge oversimplifications I know of course.
Jul 2021
3:04pm, 21 Jul 2021
39,267 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
There is a true carbon saving though larks, in that evening out the peaks and troughs in demand and supply (or matching demand to green supply) means that there is less "wasted" generation. I used to work at an electricity generating and supply company and the waste is enormous. Think turning on jet engines (gas turbines) to match peaks if they haven't got the planning quite right.

About This Thread

Maintained by larkim
Nattering about EVs; are you thinking about owning one? Do you own one? Are you terrified of owning one?

A thread for those with range anxiety, eco friendliness and petrol heads alike!

Some current vehicles that Fetchies have:-
HappyG Hyundai Kona 64kWh 240-280 miles range
ev-database.uk
larkim MG4 SE LR 61.7kWh usable (64kWh advertised)
ev-database.org
larkim (Now sold) Peugeot e208 46kWh usable (50kWh advertised) 180-220 miles range
ev-database.uk
ThorntonRunner Pre-facelift MG5 (LR Exclusive). 61kWh, 57kWh usable
ev-database.org
Jenelopy BYD Atto 60.5kWh usable
ev-database.org
Runningbear21 Jaguar i-Pace 84.7kWh
ev-database.org

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.