Electric car anyone?

4 lurkers | 72 watchers
Jul 2021
1:41pm, 23 Jul 2021
15,173 posts
  •  
larkim
I made the mistake of putting a tasty sausage roll from the local bakery (in a plastic bag) on the seat of my e208 the other day, and now I've got a lingering greasy stain on the seat which is really starting to annoy me!!

And yes, HG. The full stop is there. But it didn't stop me reading the post that way!
Jul 2021
1:46pm, 23 Jul 2021
39,297 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
I repeat my twonk then! And for the sausage roll too! (So we agree with mrs s not allowing the family to eat in the new car then?!)

I've had a WhatsApp reply - only £11 for a less than 1 hour charge break (53 mins), so either it was charging slower than 50kW or the shanksis have some discounted rate per kWh below that 40p quoted for InstaVolt on Zap-Map!

However, I think we should wait until they are back from hols for a reply! Enjoy shanksi crew! :-) G
Jul 2021
1:48pm, 23 Jul 2021
15,175 posts
  •  
larkim
I'll take twonk. I suspect some have called me much worse for a variety of posts I've made over the years from "planet larkim".
Jul 2021
1:57pm, 23 Jul 2021
39,298 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
Aha, think I might have worked it out, as mrs s really gave all the info in previous post - 100 miles driven, with 140 still available. 100 miles is about 25-30kWh, so about £10-12. And it took a bit longer because it slows down after 80% full.

The zap-map app suggests charging points at 80% of range, then fill not from empty but from 20% to 80% full, which is then at max speed.

I guess it's a bit like you should never let a fuel injection engine go down to close to zero, because it sucks up junk from bottom of tank into fuel injection system (or was that just an urban myth someone told me once and I never shook?) :-) G
Jul 2021
2:03pm, 23 Jul 2021
39,299 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
It is an important nuance for long distance journey planning though - overnight charging to 100% but rapid charging (e.g. on a stop en route) expect to only charge to 80%, hence only 80% of range.

And if you are charging again at only 20% empty, then your effective "range between stops" is only 60% of your real world range - so for me that's down to about 150 miles. Hmm, never thought about it like that before. That's why it suggested two stops on a 400 mile journey from home to Oxford. :-) G
Jul 2021
2:19pm, 23 Jul 2021
39,300 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
No, just re-read the zap map thing - it's to 20 *miles* from empty, not 20%. So for me that's down to 8%. That makes more sense. And now a 400 mile journey is showing 1 charge stop. Makes much more sense!! :-) G
Jul 2021
10:11pm, 23 Jul 2021
12,542 posts
  •  
mrs shanksi
Haha HappyG, I'm glad you appreciated my what's app messages! We made it with another top up stop at Alnwick, at a leisure centre (with toilets 😉) but we ate a snack at a picnic bench (not on the toilet!!). I'm a middle-aged lady though, I need my conveniences when out and about with my family.

Our bucolic stop at the leisure centre :

The charging was free this time. And we topped up to a range of 180 miles and made it to Faceby with loads to spare. Now have the car plugged in to the cottage, just on a normal socket. I'm glad we did it with not too much faffing, I wouldn't have chosen to do a long journey so soon after getting the car, but needs must. Our campervan only has 4 seats and all 5 of us were going on the trip.
Jul 2021
8:06pm, 25 Jul 2021
4,802 posts
  •  
run free
Have a guy who has been implementing charging points in services / councils who will share his knowledge about electric cars and infrastructure on Monday 26th July at 20:00. This is a free event where you can ask him lots of questions. To register see here: eventbrite.co.uk
Jul 2021
8:49am, 26 Jul 2021
39,317 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
That sounds really interesting run free, thanks.

mrs s, looks like you're having a great time. I think you *might* have been able to calculate that journey with just the one re-charge point? But perhaps you were more comfortable going with two? Do you use the Zap Map? Have a great hols. :-) G
Jul 2021
2:24pm, 26 Jul 2021
12,547 posts
  •  
mrs shanksi
Having a lovely time HappyG 😊. We do use ZapMap, and we stopped and charged the second time because we wanted a break from driving and thought it would be safer to top up the charge. I now have several charging apps on my phone. We've driven to Barnard Castle today, plenty of charge to get home.

About This Thread

Maintained by larkim
Nattering about EVs; are you thinking about owning one? Do you own one? Are you terrified of owning one?

A thread for those with range anxiety, eco friendliness and petrol heads alike!

Some current vehicles that Fetchies have:-
HappyG Hyundai Kona 64kWh 240-280 miles range
ev-database.uk
larkim MG4 SE LR 61.7kWh usable (64kWh advertised)
ev-database.org
larkim (Now sold) Peugeot e208 46kWh usable (50kWh advertised) 180-220 miles range
ev-database.uk
ThorntonRunner Pre-facelift MG5 (LR Exclusive). 61kWh, 57kWh usable
ev-database.org
Jenelopy BYD Atto 60.5kWh usable
ev-database.org
Runningbear21 Jaguar i-Pace 84.7kWh
ev-database.org

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.