Electric car anyone?

1 lurker | 72 watchers
Jul 2021
11:27am, 28 Jul 2021
39,340 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
Cool roflaherty - love the look of the VWs ID3 and ID4.

Is it a buy or a lease, if I can ask?

For those of us with a drive, home charging really is super easy. And cheap! What tariff will you be on? My tariff has overnight price of 5p per kWh (for 4 hours, enough to roughly do half the battery).

Larks, if you get a chance, could you add the EV Database website to the links please? It's really useful - it has options for Biggest Range, Cheapest, Most Efficient etc. (though it doesn't let you search by those, annoyingly!)

Bit of post purchase affirmation for me - in the up to £40k price range, my Hyundai Kona has the longest range (64kWh battery) for the price, along with the Kia e-Niro (effectively same car). The only two longer range are the Skoda Enyaq and the VW ID3 Pro, which are both 8K more expensive.

Just another interesting resource. :-) G

https://ev-database.uk/compare/electric-vehicle-longest-range#sort:path~type~order=.erange_real~number~desc price-checkbox-dropdown:pathGroup=.price_filter20-30~.price_filter30-40 range-slider-range:prev~next=0~600 range-slider-bijtelling:prev~next=0~600 range-slider-acceleration:prev~next=2~23 range-slider-fastcharge:prev~next=0~1100 range-slider-lease:prev~next=150~2500 range-slider-topspeed:prev~next=60~260 paging:currentPage=0 paging:number=9
Jul 2021
11:27am, 28 Jul 2021
39,341 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
Rats, that link again...

ev-database.uk
Jul 2021
11:38am, 28 Jul 2021
22,974 posts
  •  
Dvorak
That Guardian article - shoddy. Writer - idiot.

How did he get to Perth via the Cairngorms, on his way north? Why not give some details on how far/ remaining charge on his individual legs (and what they were). Too scared to go off route to see anything - like Stirling Castle which would have added three miles. The Guardian presumably paid this guy for a week or more to do this trip - couldn't they have found someone who at least had the sense to book accommodation?

As for a couple of claims made in the article: Firstly, that all petrol/diesel car sales will be banned from 2030. As I understand it, false. Millions of cars with petrol or diesel engines will sold after that date, as long as they have some kind of hybrid capability.

"“However attached you are to your old car, 2030 is coming fast and you’ll be left with a car with no value,” warns Prof Liana Cipcigan of the Electric Vehicle Centre of Excellence at Cardiff University." I'm calling utter bullshit on that. Your old car, or your new car if you buy an ICE only vehicle in 2029, will not be banned, will still function, and will not be worthless. And as Prof. Cipcigan is no doubt well aware of that, she is promoting a lie for her own special interest.
Jul 2021
11:44am, 28 Jul 2021
39,342 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
Yeah, quite a few annoying points in that article Dv. I assume it was in a "lifestyle" (i.e. not bother to properly research, just waffle for an idle readership on a wet Sunday afternoon type) section! :-O

Shoddy indeed.

There will still be loads of second hand ICE cars being used and bought/sold second hand, I'm sure.
Jul 2021
11:44am, 28 Jul 2021
22,975 posts
  •  
Dvorak
In less ranty news, for anyone around Falkirk, I found six chargepoints in one place, at Falkirk Community Hospital (just by the electric bikes). Unlike the superstation at the stadium, these are in reasonable walking distance of the town centre.

(Although, according to Zap-Map, updated yesterday, there are only three. I counted them, there are six (each one being double-sided, so twelve bays)).
Jul 2021
11:45am, 28 Jul 2021
39,343 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
I think he did mention hybrids but with some "minimum electric range, not yet specified", which I think is the case?
Jul 2021
11:53am, 28 Jul 2021
27 posts
  •  
roflaherty
Its a PCP purchase.

I need to go back and check which plan I am on, but the overnight cost looks like it will be 8p or 9p. My petrol vs electric costs have been based on 120p petrol (under value) and 20p electric (over value).

Also Northern Ireland based - in case petrol costs are questioned!!
Jul 2021
12:04pm, 28 Jul 2021
39,344 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
Pretty conservative costs there for your savings rofl- should be quids in there. :-) G
Jul 2021
12:27pm, 28 Jul 2021
5,562 posts
  •  
TheScribbler
The issue about confusing public charging infrastructure and how public charging networks are distributed and set up is raised in this report from the Competition and Markets Authority:

assets.publishing.service.gov.uk

There are some interesting stats on the current network including one that shows public chargepoints per 100,000 people - page 13

And the rather shocking stat that 1 in 25 chargepoints, and 1 in 10 rapid chargepints are out of service at any given time on average.

I found this as part of my research into the EV market for my job. We don't have an electric vehicle yet, but will seriously consider one in 1.5 years time when our current lease deal ends.
Jul 2021
12:39pm, 28 Jul 2021
39,346 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
Great document (obviously also excellent, clear writing - did you help with the writing Scribs?!)

I'd concur with this regarding the confusion of public charging...

6. We have also found that there are other problems for EV drivers which can

make EV charging challenging. It can be difficult and frustrating to find and

access working chargepoints, and to compare costs and pay for charging.

Emerging developments like subscriptions and bundling could create more

problems in the future like ‘lock-ins’ (difficulties exiting contracts).

7. In practice, using and paying for charging should be as simple as petrol or

diesel. Everyone should be able to access convenient and affordable

charging, no matter where they live. As we’ve seen in other markets, if it

becomes complex or confusing, this damages people’s trust – which is not

only a concern in itself but also a barrier to EV take-up. Deliberately steering

the sector in the right direction now will help ensure that people do not lose

confidence at this crucial early stage.
8. While healthy competition will be critical to meet these challenges, market

forces alone will not deliver what is required – in particular due to the wider

environmental benefits of reducing carbon pollution. Even further government

support, funding and oversight is also needed to push forward the pace of rollout ahead of demand, working alongside key bodies like LAs and regulators.

Report also deals with home charging for people with no drives etc. Great link. Thanks Scribs. :-) G

About This Thread

Maintained by larkim
Nattering about EVs; are you thinking about owning one? Do you own one? Are you terrified of owning one?

A thread for those with range anxiety, eco friendliness and petrol heads alike!

Some current vehicles that Fetchies have:-
HappyG Hyundai Kona 64kWh 240-280 miles range
ev-database.uk
larkim MG4 SE LR 61.7kWh usable (64kWh advertised)
ev-database.org
larkim (Now sold) Peugeot e208 46kWh usable (50kWh advertised) 180-220 miles range
ev-database.uk
ThorntonRunner Pre-facelift MG5 (LR Exclusive). 61kWh, 57kWh usable
ev-database.org
Jenelopy BYD Atto 60.5kWh usable
ev-database.org
Runningbear21 Jaguar i-Pace 84.7kWh
ev-database.org

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.