Electric car anyone?

72 watchers
Jul 2021
5:10pm, 28 Jul 2021
15,805 posts
  •  
MarkyMarkMark (3M)
I still want my personal helicopter and jetpack, as I am sure Raymond Baxter said on "Tomorrows World" they'd be commonplace by now!

But seriously, the EV revolution is only possible because of what has gone before, I think. So many technological improvements coming together at the right time.

For example, my Skoda Karoq (petrol 1500cc ICE) gets 50mpg on a long run - and is more economical than my old 1300 Skoda Rapid was, even though it was only 6 years older. The trend towards more economical design has been going on for a long while, and I'd guess without that groundwork many of todays EVs would have a very poor range indeed.

And the vastly improved rechargeable battery technologies must owe something to the recent drive for mobile electronic devices.

That said, it does feel more and more like the EV's time has finally come.
Jul 2021
6:03pm, 28 Jul 2021
2,653 posts
  •  
HappyTimes
Doesn't seem that long ago that diesel bad was diesel good.
15 years or thereabouts!?
Jul 2021
7:12pm, 28 Jul 2021
4,806 posts
  •  
run free
The presenter on Monday said there were now more charging points than petrol stations in the UK! Have a friend who went from London to Germany in an EV - said it was a breeze. He is driving a Tesla. Tesla have created their own infrastructure to support their EVs
Jul 2021
7:13pm, 28 Jul 2021
4,807 posts
  •  
run free
Another friend has managed to go to Cornwall from Runnymede and back. He is driving a Renault Zoe. Said it was no issue. He has also driven to Isle of Skye and back in his EV. Said the only thing is planning where you'll be charging and tie that in with breaks.
Jul 2021
7:27pm, 28 Jul 2021
22,978 posts
  •  
Dvorak
My small town has one petrol station and three charging points. That's eight pump points and eight charging bays. But the amount of vehicles you can fuel at the pumps is many multiples in excess of those you could charge. Take tank vs battery range, and that triples the effectiveness again.

So the fact that there may now be more charging points than petrol stations may at once be true, and completely misleading.
jda
Jul 2021
9:35pm, 28 Jul 2021
10,562 posts
  •  
jda
Comparing charging points to petrol stations isn't really a very useful stat. A petrol station can usually serve a car per minute, give or take. I can drive over 800 miles on a full tank.

A charging point takes anything from tens of minutes to hours to give you a 150 mile range.
Jul 2021
6:35am, 29 Jul 2021
4,808 posts
  •  
run free
How many times will you drive 800 miles in one go?
What is the average distance you will actually drive?
jda
Jul 2021
7:22am, 29 Jul 2021
10,563 posts
  •  
jda
Oh, I’m entirely comfortable with electric vehicle range, if a van of suitable size was made I’d probably be in the queue for one (though TBH I don’t drive enough to really make it worthwhile). But it’s still not useful to compare the number of charging stations in that way!
Jul 2021
7:38am, 29 Jul 2021
39,358 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
Rapid charge to 80% gives me 200 plus miles jda, but I agree, liquid fuel takes 2 mins to 100% full and depending on tank size takes you 400 or 500 miles plus. (800 is unusually big I'd say?)

The number of charging points isn't a good number to compare with number of petrol stations or even pumps for the reasons Dv gives. But we need some kind of way of explaining that charging point numbers are increasing. Not sure what the measure should be.

Maybe number of locations in a town or area? Then something about availability? (Ie to be honest about number broken or already in use - a high % are broken). And then for a % of EV cars on the road?
jda
Jul 2021
9:02am, 29 Jul 2021
10,565 posts
  •  
jda
It’s a diesel van and I normally stop every couple of hours or so anyway to stretch my legs. I could easily charge at home overnight. But they basically don’t exist in electric form, hopefully not too far away though.

About This Thread

Maintained by larkim
Nattering about EVs; are you thinking about owning one? Do you own one? Are you terrified of owning one?

A thread for those with range anxiety, eco friendliness and petrol heads alike!

Some current vehicles that Fetchies have:-
HappyG Hyundai Kona 64kWh 240-280 miles range
ev-database.uk
larkim MG4 SE LR 61.7kWh usable (64kWh advertised)
ev-database.org
larkim (Now sold) Peugeot e208 46kWh usable (50kWh advertised) 180-220 miles range
ev-database.uk
ThorntonRunner Pre-facelift MG5 (LR Exclusive). 61kWh, 57kWh usable
ev-database.org
Jenelopy BYD Atto 60.5kWh usable
ev-database.org
Runningbear21 Jaguar i-Pace 84.7kWh
ev-database.org

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.