Electric car anyone?

2 lurkers | 72 watchers
Jul 2021
9:17am, 29 Jul 2021
4,583 posts
  •  
K5 Gus
I thought some of the delivery companies were now using electric vans. Such things certainly exist.

eg first hit on google autoexpress.co.uk
Jul 2021
9:18am, 29 Jul 2021
7,210 posts
  •  
paul the builder
800 miles is the range of my perfectly average 2014 Passat G. Nominally 66 litres, I think.

I'm fearful roll-out of charging infrastructure in the UK will go the same way as broadband. i.e. half-arsed, and we'll lag behind other countries for years. The folk who'll be most affected are ones without off-road parking.
Jul 2021
9:21am, 29 Jul 2021
29 posts
  •  
roflaherty
Someone suggested to me yesterday, that the car rental market *might* become that you rent petrol/diesel vehicles for longer distances / journeys.

Kind of in the way you'd rent a camper or a car if you went to a different country.

Obviously just a guess, but there's a reasonable logic behind the thinking there (or so I thought anyway).
Jul 2021
9:29am, 29 Jul 2021
39,361 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
Interesting idea roflaherty. The market is certainly going to change all over the place for next 10 years.

I guess so paul - I haven't had a "fleet" type car for quite a while, so had forgotten what big mileage the big tank, relatively efficient, motorway cruise type cars can do.

There are quite a few vans showing up when I do the EV searches - but I guess they'll be 200 mile maximum range which might not be much use for jda's needs.
Jul 2021
6:41pm, 29 Jul 2021
4,810 posts
  •  
run free
When do you think wireless charging and dynamic wireless charging will become available in the UK?
Jul 2021
6:41pm, 29 Jul 2021
4,811 posts
  •  
run free
Also does fast charging reduce the battery life?
Jul 2021
7:20pm, 29 Jul 2021
22,989 posts
  •  
Dvorak
On a tangent, I wondered "has anyone done a motorised LEJOG on one tank of fuel?"

The answer is yes. In a Honda Jazz. With a nine-gallon petrol tank. theaa.com
Jul 2021
8:25am, 30 Jul 2021
39,371 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
rf - I don't believe fast charging reduces battery life. That was a thing with old battery technology, but they are designing faster and faster chargers and the cars are being sold with circuitry to support that charging. Ultra fast charging at 200kW and above (there's an Ionity one at 350kW!) now available.

I haven't heard about wireless car charging - that would be interesting. I'm not sure how that could be anything other than a trickle charge as presumably it is done by induction and that isn't high current. But I haven't read anything about that. Will go read up a bit. :-) G
Jul 2021
8:35am, 30 Jul 2021
39,372 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
OK, a quick google shows 11kW wireless charging is already in production and standards are being created for it.

greencarreports.com

11kW is similar to home charging speed (7kW), so full charge in 8 hours, overnight type charging, not rapid charging. But ideal for fixed parking bays and things.

Wireless charging while the car is moving looks to be more still at the research stage, but they're working on it!

financialexpress.com
Jul 2021
8:47am, 30 Jul 2021
39,374 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
There have been trials of dynamic wireless charging - one in Sweden with trucks. Again, I'd say this is at feasibility stage. 45kW which is pretty decent.

greencarreports.com :-) G

About This Thread

Maintained by larkim
Nattering about EVs; are you thinking about owning one? Do you own one? Are you terrified of owning one?

A thread for those with range anxiety, eco friendliness and petrol heads alike!

Some current vehicles that Fetchies have:-
HappyG Hyundai Kona 64kWh 240-280 miles range
ev-database.uk
larkim MG4 SE LR 61.7kWh usable (64kWh advertised)
ev-database.org
larkim (Now sold) Peugeot e208 46kWh usable (50kWh advertised) 180-220 miles range
ev-database.uk
ThorntonRunner Pre-facelift MG5 (LR Exclusive). 61kWh, 57kWh usable
ev-database.org
Jenelopy BYD Atto 60.5kWh usable
ev-database.org
Runningbear21 Jaguar i-Pace 84.7kWh
ev-database.org

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.