Electric car anyone?

72 watchers
May 2021
1:52pm, 24 May 2021
20,862 posts
  •  
DeeGee
Yes, I'd hoped to have gone EV by now, but the cost of a comparable vehicle with the performance I need just isn't there quite yet.

Incidentally, with reference to part of this discussion from months ago, I made two four-hour non-stop car journeys this weekend, as I didn't want to have to stop where there would be lots of people. Can't do that in an EV. And there didn't appear to be a charging point at my hotel. So it wouldn't have worked. Yet...
May 2021
1:53pm, 24 May 2021
20,863 posts
  •  
DeeGee
One man's "boring financial crap" is another man's "affording stuff".

If I were on another thread, I'd be using this as an example of why the left can't get elected....
May 2021
1:55pm, 24 May 2021
4,940 posts
  •  
ThorntonRunner
I tend to disagree with TMW on the politics thread ( ;) ), but he's made some valid points here today and seems to have been jumped on...
May 2021
1:56pm, 24 May 2021
38,792 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
Lol! Top comedy TMW!

I think we all need a TMW to challenge us a wee bit. And to poke a bit of fun too. Very easy to become very po-faced on the undoubtedly important topics like the climate crisis.

Points out some of the real world challenges - remember many people on this thread are very keen to make changes to improve our carbon foot print. But it needs to become normal, easy, compelling, obvious... the norm, in fact!

And to say that it's silly for people to make changes just for financial gain is naïve, in my opinion. Most people don't have "free" money. We may have some discretion in how we spend, if we lucky. But even the luxury of how to spend the small amount of surplus that we might have requires choices of what to do and what not to do.

So government needs to *help* to make those choices into no-brainers. EV cars need to be cheaper than ICE (to buy, to re-fuel, to service, to re-sell etc) . Recharging needs to be as easy or easier than filling up with petrol. Comfort and convenience needs to the same or better.

All of the above are possible for EV cars, for non-fossil fuel heating, even for long haul travel etc. But it requires political will, political change and that is how consumers will change behaviour. Imho.

So, recommend me the small EV that I may be able to now get, given that my wife will have the gas guzzling 4 x 4! Vauxhall Corse, Peugeot 208 etc? :-) G
May 2021
1:58pm, 24 May 2021
7,122 posts
  •  
paul the builder
As far as I can tell, he said street infrastructure for charging EVs is a good but limited idea, because there isn't enough of it, and that he can't imagine how there ever could be.

Readers can decide if those are valid points or not. :-)
May 2021
1:58pm, 24 May 2021
14,548 posts
  •  
rf_fozzy
(DG - I'm from the school of if you don't have the money, you can't buy something. My mortgage is the only thing where I haven't bought something outright upfront.

Yes, I've been fortunate to be able to do so, but there are many things I'd like but cannot afford - including a holiday! However this proliferation of financial services is one part of the wider problem IMO and in some cases the cause of some of the problems - cf 2008 - but that's for another thread.)
May 2021
2:00pm, 24 May 2021
14,549 posts
  •  
rf_fozzy
Happy - Renault Zoe seems to be the cheapest EV with the longest range in the small car bracket.

Had I got the cash, that's what I'd be looking at.
May 2021
2:04pm, 24 May 2021
17,688 posts
  •  
Chrisull
Crikey I wouldn't have been able to afford a car full stop without some kind of credit. Low interest loans over 5 years factored into a household budget. Pay it off, then I owned it outright. What about mobile phones?
May 2021
2:08pm, 24 May 2021
20,864 posts
  •  
DeeGee
I've never bought mobile phones bundled. I don't need a £1000 phone.

I've looked at the Zoe just now. PCP fr about 20 quid more a month than I'm paying now, albeit with a larger but equally affordable deposit.

Maybe I should have waited!

Although I have a feeling it'll be just a bit small for our family, so maybe not...
May 2021
2:09pm, 24 May 2021
14,550 posts
  •  
rf_fozzy
I saved for some time to be able to afford a car. And bought 2nd hand.

I did the 5 years of low interest loans upfront and saved it until I had enough.

Mobile phone - cheap contract phone (£10/month) for 2 years which I now own. Wouldn't do this again - buy a cheap one (possibly 2nd hand) and sim only contract deal.

I do recognise that I am fortunate that I am able to save something every month.

About This Thread

Maintained by larkim
Nattering about EVs; are you thinking about owning one? Do you own one? Are you terrified of owning one?

A thread for those with range anxiety, eco friendliness and petrol heads alike!

Some current vehicles that Fetchies have:-
HappyG Hyundai Kona 64kWh 240-280 miles range
ev-database.uk
larkim MG4 SE LR 61.7kWh usable (64kWh advertised)
ev-database.org
larkim (Now sold) Peugeot e208 46kWh usable (50kWh advertised) 180-220 miles range
ev-database.uk
ThorntonRunner Pre-facelift MG5 (LR Exclusive). 61kWh, 57kWh usable
ev-database.org
Jenelopy BYD Atto 60.5kWh usable
ev-database.org
Runningbear21 Jaguar i-Pace 84.7kWh
ev-database.org

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.