Electric car anyone?

2 lurkers | 72 watchers
May 2021
2:20pm, 24 May 2021
22,491 posts
  •  
Dvorak
If we solve cities, we largely solve the crisis. A mix of properly integrated, affordable mass transit, alterno-taxis (aka autonomous vehicles for personal use), micro/mini owned VLEVs (probably electric), and bicycles (often electric) in user-safe environments (and maybe scooters in that as well, or skateboards, or Segways).

And then the large towns, and then the small towns and by the time you get round to the remaining 5%, somewhere around 2050, you don't really need to.
May 2021
2:35pm, 24 May 2021
2,700 posts
  •  
BarefootEm
The second hand market for EVs is a good place to look of stretching to brand new isn't an option. Many people trade in after a couple of years for the next best model etc... Although very early EVs can be problematic, (low range, missing lots of battery bars etc) there are bargains to be had.
May 2021
2:45pm, 24 May 2021
15,260 posts
  •  
MarkyMarkMark (3M)
In my defence, I converted my front garden into parking as a matter of road safety - there are too many cars parked on my road as it is, we live on a bend, and the hourly bus and occasional delivery wagon often have to squeeze through on the footpath as it is! And I didn't pave it - I built it using a porous layer of crushed stone and topped with gravel so it is effectively a large sump/soakaway, and doesn't add to the drainage/flooding issues. Ironically for this thread, there is a lampost at the end of my drive which is actually in the way.....

Anyway, back to EVs. There's a council sponsored fleet of electric scooters and bikes to hire (electric Boris bikes!) appeared across the city over he past year. I need to experiment!
May 2021
2:52pm, 24 May 2021
20,865 posts
  •  
DeeGee
I have a feeling that shared electric scooters might be a useful thing to finally come online. Of course, they'll invoke the ire of the fist wavers.
May 2021
2:53pm, 24 May 2021
14,492 posts
  •  
larkim
I agree, the shared scooters seem very popular around Liverpool.
May 2021
2:55pm, 24 May 2021
15,263 posts
  •  
MarkyMarkMark (3M)
They already have, DeeGee! The first generation are being modified already so they can't squeeze a second person on the back. Not pointing any fingers, but the largest parking & pickup areas seem to be over by the Universities..... ;-)
May 2021
2:55pm, 24 May 2021
38,793 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
Barefoot Em, that was my slight nervousness about buying 2nd hand EV. The technology is improving quickly, was concerned early generation ones might have problems. But I guess we're over the really early ones. And if you buy from a reputable dealer you've got some guarantees. I see ones for under £15K, which might suit. Or I'm seeing lease at £200ish pm, costing me less than 9K for 3 years might do too. I'll keep looking. Thanks.

Any advice on home electric for best rates for overnight charging? :-) G
May 2021
2:58pm, 24 May 2021
14,493 posts
  •  
larkim
Octopus Go works well HG. 5p between 00:30 and 04:30 and then about 14-15p the rest of the time.

If you need longer in the cheap period they can be haggled with apparently to create something customised.

Then the next step is to get a charger which allows itself to be programmed to use those noctural rates, or a car whose software allows a similar constraint.

I've got the BP Chargemaster charger and that does the former.
May 2021
3:04pm, 24 May 2021
38,794 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
Ooh, we're Octopus anyway, ideal! :-) G
May 2021
3:06pm, 24 May 2021
22,494 posts
  •  
Dvorak
E-bikes are great fun :-) I'm a member of the local e-bike hire scheme. All the more useful now there is a station five minutes walk from my house (therefore I don't have to drive an ICE vehicle to somewhere with them). It's an interesting experiment, as unlike most schemes, this one covers a highly dispersed, medium density area (longest shortest riding distance between stations around 32 km)

Today's weather, mind you, is highlighting one problem vis a vis a car.

A picture of a bike: great for steep hills :-) fetcheveryone.com/routes-view.php?id=1804193

About This Thread

Maintained by larkim
Nattering about EVs; are you thinking about owning one? Do you own one? Are you terrified of owning one?

A thread for those with range anxiety, eco friendliness and petrol heads alike!

Some current vehicles that Fetchies have:-
HappyG Hyundai Kona 64kWh 240-280 miles range
ev-database.uk
larkim MG4 SE LR 61.7kWh usable (64kWh advertised)
ev-database.org
larkim (Now sold) Peugeot e208 46kWh usable (50kWh advertised) 180-220 miles range
ev-database.uk
ThorntonRunner Pre-facelift MG5 (LR Exclusive). 61kWh, 57kWh usable
ev-database.org
Jenelopy BYD Atto 60.5kWh usable
ev-database.org
Runningbear21 Jaguar i-Pace 84.7kWh
ev-database.org

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.