Electric car anyone?

1 lurker | 72 watchers
5 Jul
8:19pm, 5 Jul 2024
6,634 posts
  •  
quimby
Thanks @jda I'll have to try a different socket next go. I do wonder whether it's because it was the toaster socket and it's just fond of the smell of burning? 😂
5 Jul
10:54pm, 5 Jul 2024
50,394 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
Sockets can be add on extensions to your main circuits and are sometimes not up to the job. If the room is an extension or had extra sockets added as an add on. Just financier plug. Or set your car to charge even slower if you have the option. 13A is a out 2.5kW. If you can set it to charge at 2.0 or even 1.5kW that will reduce the current. When are you getting your home charging socket? 7kW and 30A is much better! :-) G
5 Jul
10:55pm, 5 Jul 2024
50,395 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
*find another. And I meant plug socket, not plug obv. :-) G
6 Jul
7:14am, 6 Jul 2024
6,635 posts
  •  
quimby
I've put in an order with Ohme for my proper charger.

The app was saying it was doing 1.87Kw. I can't see an option to charge the car slower. I do recall when we had the house wiring looked at about 10 years ago, the socket I tried was one that wasn't checked/changed because it was so well grouted into the kitchen tiles. So I might have better luck with one that was updated recently.
jda
6 Jul
7:53am, 6 Jul 2024
17,407 posts
  •  
jda
My charging cable has a box spliced into it with buttons and a display which can be used for setting a timer and also controlling the charging rate. I just bought it off Amazon.

(What I didn’t realise initially for some reason is that if you set the rate to 10A it retains that memory even after switching off at the wall socket.)
jda
6 Jul
7:54am, 6 Jul 2024
17,408 posts
  •  
jda
Having said that 1.87kW is only about 7A and your socket really should cope with that. Maybe that was after damage though…
6 Jul
11:41am, 6 Jul 2024
6,639 posts
  •  
quimby
Just done a load of photos for the "site survey" for the Ohme installation. Let's see what the lead time is on that before I plug it in to a normal socket again. Having taken photos of the fuse box etc, I see that the label on it says "Next inspection due 2013". Oh.
6 Jul
10:21pm, 6 Jul 2024
50,398 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
As JDA says 1.8kW is only 7A so something was limiting below 13A. If the plug had bad connections the increased resistance would have double effect of slow charging AND heat melting socket. Be very careful - you do not want an electrical fire. Hope you get your charger installed quickly. :-) G
7 Jul
2:55am, 7 Jul 2024
6,641 posts
  •  
quimby
Thanks all. I was paranoically checking the sockets every half hour, since it was the first time charging. Going to stop off at Tesco on the way back from the gym this morning to try out the charger there. 😃
11 Jul
5:16pm, 11 Jul 2024
6,177 posts
  •  
K5 Gus
EV batteries half in price - cheaper EVs on the way ??
autoexpress.co.uk

About This Thread

Maintained by larkim
Nattering about EVs; are you thinking about owning one? Do you own one? Are you terrified of owning one?

A thread for those with range anxiety, eco friendliness and petrol heads alike!

Some current vehicles that Fetchies have:-
HappyG Hyundai Kona 64kWh 240-280 miles range
ev-database.uk
larkim MG4 SE LR 61.7kWh usable (64kWh advertised)
ev-database.org
larkim (Now sold) Peugeot e208 46kWh usable (50kWh advertised) 180-220 miles range
ev-database.uk
ThorntonRunner Pre-facelift MG5 (LR Exclusive). 61kWh, 57kWh usable
ev-database.org
Jenelopy BYD Atto 60.5kWh usable
ev-database.org
Runningbear21 Jaguar i-Pace 84.7kWh
ev-database.org

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.