Electric car anyone?

2 lurkers | 72 watchers
11 Jul
5:47pm, 11 Jul 2024
50,439 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
I hate capitalism! Swings from massive demand, under supply, crazy high EV prices to scare stories of over production and flat demand leading to collapsing prices.

If we could just make it mandatory to stop building ICE cars and only build EVs and match battery supply to meet that it would be fine. Bllddy market economics. :-) G
22 Jul
10:38am, 22 Jul 2024
1,022 posts
  •  
Last of the Time Lords
Has anyone got a Project EV charger and had trouble linking with Intelligent Octopus?

By setting the app to 'Plug & Charge' it meets the Octopus system tests and schedules a night charge, but when I leave overnight you wake up and find it hasn't charged.... I believe the charger times out after 4 hours of non-charge and you have to unplug and plug back in again.

Have emailed Project EV tech support but not confident of a quick answer.

Thanks.
22 Jul
11:07am, 22 Jul 2024
4,413 posts
  •  
NordRunner
I dunno but how about putting another timer in the line so that it switches on occasionally in the waiting hours, just to keep it awake?
22 Jul
1:27pm, 22 Jul 2024
50,500 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
"timer in the line"? That would be a qualified electrician's job NR? It's a 30A direct connection from distribution board, via a dedicated breaker, to an electronically controlled socket. There is no "line" to insert anything into?

No info I'm afraid LoTL - haven't heard of Project EV, but I'd hope they answer quickly. Feels like a software setting on their side, if it is timing out after 4 hours. That would be bonkers! My charger is set to charge overnight and is regularly 21 hours idle, if I don't have solar charging going on. :-) G
22 Jul
2:51pm, 22 Jul 2024
4,414 posts
  •  
NordRunner
Sorry I couldn't be of more focused help, then.
22 Jul
3:00pm, 22 Jul 2024
50,501 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
Sorry NR, that sounded a bit short, I didn't mean to criticise. I meant really to ask it as a question, for instance were you referring to something that one could do with a "normal" 13A type domestic internal house socket? Sorry again. :-) G
22 Jul
3:08pm, 22 Jul 2024
25,258 posts
  •  
larkim
Last of the Time Lords wrote:Has anyone got a Project EV charger and had trouble linking with Intelligent Octopus? By setting the app to 'Plug & Charge' it meets the Octopus system tests and schedules a night charge, but when I leave overnight you wake up and find it hasn't charged.... I believe the charger times out after 4 hours of non-charge and you have to unplug and plug back in again. Have emailed Project EV tech support but not confident of a quick answer. Thanks.

Presume it's your car rather than the EVSE that is the bit that's compatible with Intelligent? Took a quick google and saw some others seem to have issues with the Project EV ones going to sleep etc, or thinking the charge session is over.

This post seems to suggest something of a workaround by using the tickbox for "warm up function", which might be the thing you need to stop it falling properly "asleep"?

x3.xbimmers.com
22 Jul
3:27pm, 22 Jul 2024
4,415 posts
  •  
NordRunner
Maybe some of the supplementary answers here perplexity.ai might give some ideas.
22 Jul
3:43pm, 22 Jul 2024
1,023 posts
  •  
Last of the Time Lords
Many thanks everyone for your responses.

Having read some other forums I'm pretty sure it's the charger rather than the car (Tesla Y). In the absence of any reply from Project EV I'm going to try the warm up function tonight and see what happens.

Will let you know how it goes! Thanks again.
22 Jul
4:22pm, 22 Jul 2024
25,259 posts
  •  
larkim
I had a quick play with the Octopus site, and I reckon you're right - they are happy if either the car or the charger is compatible with the "intelligent" bit (i.e. the ability to force a charge to start remotely when the power is cheap), and manufacturers / EVSE makers haven't quite sussed out between themselves who should be the "right" part of the equation to control that, so some car makers build it in some EVSE devices build it in. If you've got neither (e.g. my set up - MG + BP Pulse charger) then it's simply not available, but if you've got either of the other two then it can work.

The Tesla is much more likely to "just work" on this sort of clever stuff, whereas it sounds like the Project EV is just a bit too clever by half and gets in the way.

About This Thread

Maintained by larkim
Nattering about EVs; are you thinking about owning one? Do you own one? Are you terrified of owning one?

A thread for those with range anxiety, eco friendliness and petrol heads alike!

Some current vehicles that Fetchies have:-
HappyG Hyundai Kona 64kWh 240-280 miles range
ev-database.uk
larkim MG4 SE LR 61.7kWh usable (64kWh advertised)
ev-database.org
larkim (Now sold) Peugeot e208 46kWh usable (50kWh advertised) 180-220 miles range
ev-database.uk
ThorntonRunner Pre-facelift MG5 (LR Exclusive). 61kWh, 57kWh usable
ev-database.org
Jenelopy BYD Atto 60.5kWh usable
ev-database.org
Runningbear21 Jaguar i-Pace 84.7kWh
ev-database.org

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.