Electric car anyone?

72 watchers
26 Jun
4:11pm, 26 Jun 2024
50,310 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
Ah, sorry. Yeah, so in 6 years you would break even on a 10K more expensive purchase price, approx. :-) G
26 Jun
4:24pm, 26 Jun 2024
50,312 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
Sorry 8 years. Yeah, takes longer if low mileage and bigger car.
jda
26 Jun
5:03pm, 26 Jun 2024
17,351 posts
  •  
jda
I’m using a main dealer for servicing, mostly because it’s easy to ensure no quibbles over the guarantee and the cost, although probably higher than my local garage, isn’t really much compared to the value of the car (1% roughly, so that’s adding at most 10% to the cost of the car over a 10y life even if my local was free which it isn’t). Main disadvantage is it’s a bit of a drive away but they did it on a Saturday while I did a parkrun so not too inconvenient.
26 Jun
6:01pm, 26 Jun 2024
92 posts
  •  
Yakima Canutt
Interesting comments on servicing. When I bought by 2nd hand Tesla3 I took it in an inquired about battery degradation tests as there is a guarantee of 70% capacity after 8 years (or 150,000 miles) and at some point in the future - as I get close to warranty - I'm going to want a proper check: so thought it was worth asking about.

They were putting me off and said that if they did a test the result would only be something along the lines of "for a car of our age and mileage your degradation is higher/lower/about average." I have no problems with the car, but in a few years I think the topic may be a bit more topical and I was a bit disappointed with the garage comment.

You-tube has lots of vids telling me how to DIY putting it in service mode, but I don't trust myself to do it right.
29 Jun
10:19pm, 29 Jun 2024
2,796 posts
  •  
HappyTimes
HG I think there are too many finger in sky numbers in your positive bias cost of ownership analysis to make any true and fair conclusions.

As someone mentioned earlier for example Road Tax is coming in for EV's (which you ommitted from your case)
Insurance cost also missed and I think this can tend to be higher for EV's.
Residual values of both cars at end of term may also be a factor.
These and I am sure other details may see your £5k over 7 years saving disappear.
30 Jun
9:41am, 30 Jun 2024
100 posts
  •  
Yakima Canutt
A quick internet search and there are loads of cost comparison articles. Personal circumstances and use will impact the outcomes and people's perceptions.

I used to have a nissan qashqai ICE and three years ago went electric and I'd never look back. My current EV I bought second hand and I love it - and I think it's cheaper overall.

I think people buying into EV need to be aware that it's different. It's not exactly the same user experience as having Petrol - that many expect. A bit like when the bins went from one a week to three including recycling.
30 Jun
10:17am, 30 Jun 2024
50,330 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
Fair enough HT. It wasn't very scientific! And K5 Gus example would NOT be cheaper. But for me, choosing cheapest EV I can, with decent range and my relatively high mileage, and with home charging, an EV is cheaper overall. For me! :-) G
30 Jun
5:59pm, 30 Jun 2024
2,797 posts
  •  
HappyTimes
Indeed each individual will have case specifics that make it more or less of an overall good/bad move.
5 Jul
5:55pm, 5 Jul 2024
6,633 posts
  •  
quimby
Got my MG5 a week ago. So far, pretty pleased with it, although I've only done small trips. However, today I decided to try and charge it for the first time. It still had about 70% battery, but I didn't want to wait until it was desperate to try charging for the first time. I don't have a home charger installed yet, so used the granny charger. Easy enough to plug in, used the extension cable from the garage that we use for the lawn mower. Didn't use the sockets in the garage as I didn't want to leave the garage door open for hours, so we pulled the extension cable out to full length and dropped the plug through the kitchen window. It was charging happily (albeit slowly) for about 4 hours when I smelt something fishy in the kitchen. At first I thought it was cat food, but my partner denied feeding the cat any fishy soup for lunch. Shrugged and checked again about half an hour later, and it was a bit stronger. At this point I was fairly sure the smell was coming from the socket. The plug was pretty hot. I had a quick google of "fishy smell coming from electric socket" and stopped the charging from the app right away. After letting the plug cool down, I discovered that the socket holes were a bit melted. Not horrendously so, but that plug was difficult to get out (probably going to need to get the socket plate off and check nothing has melted inside, I guess). The plug on the actual car cable and the socket on the extension cable weren't hot at all.

I'm *guessing* - well, hoping - it was because the extension cable, although fully extended, was rated 10 amp rather than 13 amp? Is that the most likely reason? I've bought another extension cable that's 13 amp and says it has a "thermal cutout" but I'm obviously a bit wary of trying it. I've also ordered a cable from Tough Leads. Any opinions? Do you think the 13 amp extension should be OK? Or wait for the Tough Leads cable?
jda
5 Jul
7:45pm, 5 Jul 2024
17,404 posts
  •  
jda
From what you've said it sounds like it's the plug/socket not the cable. We've also had occasional problems though not since I cut down to 10A (having not realised for a while that I could do this!)

It seems that 13A plugs aren't always quite up to handling 13A, at least not for long periods of time!

About This Thread

Maintained by larkim
Nattering about EVs; are you thinking about owning one? Do you own one? Are you terrified of owning one?

A thread for those with range anxiety, eco friendliness and petrol heads alike!

Some current vehicles that Fetchies have:-
HappyG Hyundai Kona 64kWh 240-280 miles range
ev-database.uk
larkim MG4 SE LR 61.7kWh usable (64kWh advertised)
ev-database.org
larkim (Now sold) Peugeot e208 46kWh usable (50kWh advertised) 180-220 miles range
ev-database.uk
ThorntonRunner Pre-facelift MG5 (LR Exclusive). 61kWh, 57kWh usable
ev-database.org
Jenelopy BYD Atto 60.5kWh usable
ev-database.org
Runningbear21 Jaguar i-Pace 84.7kWh
ev-database.org

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.