Electric car anyone?

2 lurkers | 72 watchers
jda
26 Jun
12:39pm, 26 Jun 2024
17,346 posts
  •  
jda
The thing people may be missing is that the only people who have bought an EV and are now buying again are the small minority who have a strong reason to change quickly (eg due to sudden change of job/house).

I bet a large proportion of people who have bought an EV will also buy one as their next car, but they won’t do so for 5-10 years!
26 Jun
12:39pm, 26 Jun 2024
20,215 posts
  •  
Dave W
I don’t watch the BBC for stuff like this.

But I’m a bit of a cardigan when it comes to future planning. I like to try to hedge my bets. I have no idea what my requirements are going to be in five years time so choosing one to cover what I do now and hoping that it will be sufficient in the future is a bit of a finger in the air job. And I’m happy to hang on a bit to see if the tech does get better.

As I say if that’s a tv or a phone then it’s not going to be a problem. But a car is a different kettle of fish.

And maybe they’ll come down in price a bit as well. Maybe.
jda
26 Jun
12:41pm, 26 Jun 2024
17,347 posts
  •  
jda
I’m expecting our EV to basically last until it falls apart. And it came with 6 years left of a 7 year warranty so that’s a minimum, excluding crash or theft.
26 Jun
12:42pm, 26 Jun 2024
50,303 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
So, real world, second hand EV purchase decision here (I'm using myself as an example. These are exactly the calcs I am having to do. I am not rich. I cannot and will not waste £100K or even £40K on a car just for vanity. The most I have ever spend on a second hand petrol/diesel was £20K with a £10K trade in, so never more than about £10K over a 3 or 4 year period, just for comparison. And I realise this is still a lot of money and that I am privileged to be able to afford any kind of car etc.)

Budget up front: £20K (ish, might stretch it a bit for comfort/fun!)
Lifetime (used to be 3 years, but intend to keep this one 7-10): 7
Mileage (I only go to office 2 or 3 times per week and a few longer trips a year. But always ends up being 12K per year. Don't understand why!!)

EV:
Up front £27,000

Fuel £2,400

Servicing, Tax etc £700

Total £30,100

Petrol/Diesel:
Up front
£20,000

Fuel £12,285

Servicing, Tax etc £2,730

Total £35,015

That doesn't take into account residual values, because I really think that is finger in the air. And because I might not sell it after 7 years anyway!

Happy to show my working if anyone interested!

:-) G
26 Jun
12:43pm, 26 Jun 2024
50,304 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
Formatting never copies into Fetch boxes very well, sorry!

Budget up front: £20K (ish, might stretch it a bit for comfort/fun!)
Lifetime (used to be 3 years, but intend to keep this one 7-10): 7
Mileage (I only go to office 2 or 3 times per week and a few longer trips a year. But always ends up being 12K per year. Don't understand why!!)

EV:
Up front £27,000
Fuel £2,400
Servicing, Tax etc £700
Total £30,100

Petrol/Diesel:
Up front
£20,000
Fuel £12,285
Servicing, Tax etc £2,730
Total £35,015

That doesn't take into account residual values, because I really think that is finger in the air. And because I might not sell it after 7 years anyway!
26 Jun
12:47pm, 26 Jun 2024
4,493 posts
  •  
jacdaw
The only reason I'd change my ev (to another ev) would be to get one that would take a roof rack. Didn't cross my mind when we bought the current one.
26 Jun
12:56pm, 26 Jun 2024
50,305 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
jacdaw wrote:The only reason I'd change my ev (to another ev) would be to get one that would take a roof rack. Didn't cross my mind when we bought the current one.

Had to google that. You have an VW ID.3 don't you? I though all cars could have a roof rack, via either bars or the little side sill things. I'm amazed some can't! That isn't an EV thing though, is it?! Just because it's a smaller car or something? :-) G
26 Jun
1:04pm, 26 Jun 2024
6,155 posts
  •  
K5 Gus
G is your "fuel cost" for the EV assuming you have solar, or purely from the grid ?
26 Jun
1:09pm, 26 Jun 2024
4,494 posts
  •  
jacdaw
I didn't think it was an ev thing, and it never crossed my mind to check. However there were some bars available that fit, and were withdrawn on the basis of VW statements to say they shouldn't be used. From a bit of googling, the best explanation seems to be that the batteries (plus 4 ocupants) take the weight close to the limits of the suspension, so they don't want more weight on the roof. No official vw (detailed) explanation, however.
3M
26 Jun
1:17pm, 26 Jun 2024
24,298 posts
  •  
3M
I think I'll still want to tow a caravan with my next car. I'd love to go electric.
An EV would make a brilliant tow-car. Plenty of weight (therefore stability) in front of the tow-titch. Masses of torque etc. And I'd still get all the "normal" benefits of an electric when I'm not towing.
But...
If you add the weight of a caravan (even a "light" one) you're still adding a not-ever-so aerodynamic load of about 900Kg+ when fully laden onto the load the motors and battery have to move. So it needs to be a pretty meaty/high battery capacity electric vehicle, if you're not going to have lots more charging stops when you go more than an hour or two from home.

Most of those vehicles come with a pretty hefty price tag (see live.editiondigital.com if you're a CCC Member!)

Prices between £46K (Skoda Enyaq) to £103k (Audi Q8) new, best 2nd hand tow-car is still £27-28k (2022 Kia EV6).

That's still appreciably more than I paid for an 8-month old Karoq, that still has a good few years of life left in it, barring unforeseen issues.

About This Thread

Maintained by larkim
Nattering about EVs; are you thinking about owning one? Do you own one? Are you terrified of owning one?

A thread for those with range anxiety, eco friendliness and petrol heads alike!

Some current vehicles that Fetchies have:-
HappyG Hyundai Kona 64kWh 240-280 miles range
ev-database.uk
larkim MG4 SE LR 61.7kWh usable (64kWh advertised)
ev-database.org
larkim (Now sold) Peugeot e208 46kWh usable (50kWh advertised) 180-220 miles range
ev-database.uk
ThorntonRunner Pre-facelift MG5 (LR Exclusive). 61kWh, 57kWh usable
ev-database.org
Jenelopy BYD Atto 60.5kWh usable
ev-database.org
Runningbear21 Jaguar i-Pace 84.7kWh
ev-database.org

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.