Electric car anyone?

1 lurker | 72 watchers
26 Jun
1:22pm, 26 Jun 2024
24,749 posts
  •  
larkim
Wouldn't it be good if the caravan actually had it's own traction batteries that could be coupled to the car, partly solving the drag impact on the car's range performance? Or would that make caravans stupidly heavy / difficult to move / expensive?
jda
26 Jun
1:23pm, 26 Jun 2024
17,349 posts
  •  
jda
I found very limited options for a towbar even just for a bike carrier (300kg limit so I could do a small trailer if I wanted). Ditto roof bars. Was a worried we’d find bike carrying a bit of a problem but it worked out ok.
3M
26 Jun
1:28pm, 26 Jun 2024
24,299 posts
  •  
3M
Funnily enough @larkim I theorised about such a device a few years ago as a "retrofit" option! It would take a pretty decent battery - effectively reproducing the power/transmission mechanism already in the car given the similar sort of weight. And it'd need an agreed control standard to ensure the caravan's movement and regenerative breaking etc. was linked to the car's.

Of course, I can already move our caravan on it's manoeuvring/parking motor mover using the built in leisure battery - at a top speed of about 2MPH!
3M
26 Jun
1:29pm, 26 Jun 2024
24,300 posts
  •  
3M
* regenerative braking, not regenerative breaking!
26 Jun
1:41pm, 26 Jun 2024
91 posts
  •  
Yakima Canutt
On the articles you need to check if they are looking at private buyers or all buyers. The significant sales of EVs come through fleet. Makes sense as the benefit in kind perks are so good, but the numbers for private buyers in isolation are not so hot (as you'd expect).

Sorry I missed you at WHW HappyG. I was crewing but had a lift from a fellow supporter in a diesel VW (I know I'm so sorry). I've used the chargers at Tyndrum before (the real food cafe). Not bad - but only 2 of them.
26 Jun
1:43pm, 26 Jun 2024
50,306 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
Oh who were you supporting YC? Were you at prize giving? Wasn't it all very fabby?!

Anyone want to challenge my 20-25% ££ saving numbers over the page?! :-) G
26 Jun
2:00pm, 26 Jun 2024
6,156 posts
  •  
K5 Gus
Waiting on an answer to my Q :-)
26 Jun
2:04pm, 26 Jun 2024
24,750 posts
  •  
larkim
K5 Gus wrote:G is your "fuel cost" for the EV assuming you have solar, or purely from the grid ?

I think he's gone something like this:-
15000 miles per year, 7 years, 3.5 miles per kWh, 8p per kWh = £2,400
vs
15000 miles per year, 7 years, 12 miles per litre, £1.50 per litre = £13,125 (this doesn't match, but is close)

So that would say all electricity from the grid?
26 Jun
2:09pm, 26 Jun 2024
6,157 posts
  •  
K5 Gus
Thanks larks - he said 12k pa not 15k, but allowing for differeing miles per KWh and mpg etc then sounds like in the right ballpark
26 Jun
2:23pm, 26 Jun 2024
6,158 posts
  •  
K5 Gus
How are all you owners finding servicing, are you all still going to main dealers, or are you using independants ?

My independant says apart from very basic things like checking brakes, changing tyres, they won't touch EVs as the costs involved to send the mechanics on training courses (mandatory to work on EVs) and re-fitting out a section of the workshop to have a new EV station with special grounding etc, etc, would cost them about £25-30k.

In time as more and more 2nd hand EVs come to market, then the number of indie garages that are suitably trained and equipped will no doubt increase, but wondering if you are tied in to the high cost main dealers at the moment.

About This Thread

Maintained by larkim
Nattering about EVs; are you thinking about owning one? Do you own one? Are you terrified of owning one?

A thread for those with range anxiety, eco friendliness and petrol heads alike!

Some current vehicles that Fetchies have:-
HappyG Hyundai Kona 64kWh 240-280 miles range
ev-database.uk
larkim MG4 SE LR 61.7kWh usable (64kWh advertised)
ev-database.org
larkim (Now sold) Peugeot e208 46kWh usable (50kWh advertised) 180-220 miles range
ev-database.uk
ThorntonRunner Pre-facelift MG5 (LR Exclusive). 61kWh, 57kWh usable
ev-database.org
Jenelopy BYD Atto 60.5kWh usable
ev-database.org
Runningbear21 Jaguar i-Pace 84.7kWh
ev-database.org

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.