Electric car anyone?

8 lurkers | 72 watchers
25 Jul
7:31am, 25 Jul 2024
1,024 posts
  •  
Last of the Time Lords
Feedback on my Intelligent Octopus / Project EV integration snags - Project EV came back to me and downloaded updated firmware to the charger. This caused it to trip out on the MCBs overnight.....
Last night I tired the hack Larkim found (thanks!), to schedule the Project EV charger (even though Octopus advise against) then enable the warm up function to prevent the system going to sleep for more than four hours. This worked 😀.

Have reported back to Project EV in the hope they provide a better long term fix.
25 Jul
7:56am, 25 Jul 2024
50,527 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
Good that they were responsive. Bad that they couldn't fix it. Great that Larkim's hack worked!

Was watching Goodwood festival of speed on telly last night. Some lovely old motors there. I don't get why they are trying to promote synthetic fuel though. It's still burning a carbon based product and emitting CO2. Fine for a handful of classic cars, but absolutely unsustainable for the 1.5 BILLION cars on the roads globally.

We have to stop emitting CO2 in all industries and activities - flying, cars, shipping, electricity generation, steel making etc. Anyhoo, sorry that's one for the Environment or Politics threads. :-) G
jda
25 Jul
10:08am, 25 Jul 2024
17,521 posts
  •  
jda
Another long holiday trip with the EV, all went very smoothly....apart from trying to use the charge point Scotland system. For some reason my card isn't working, account refuses to let me log in to the web, refuses to send password reset, at Stirling park and ride there was no regular contactless payment and only option we managed to get to work (partially) was the CPS website through which we could start the charging but it didn't respond to requests to stop. Emergency button released the car, my wife then spent a full 10 mins on hold to the helpline to check that the initial hefty overcharge was going to be refunded as no notification or receipt of charge arrived. This last bit was probably unnecessary as the charge was corrected an hour or two later, but we didn't know that at the time.

All a bit of a hassle compared to all the chargers we have used in England where all you do is plug in, tap phone (or any other contactless method) to start and again to stop. I'm sure the CPS system works ok for regular users (and it did work last year when I first used it) but I am still no nearer getting the card set up again.
25 Jul
12:36pm, 25 Jul 2024
159 posts
  •  
Yakima Canutt
I've found the chargeplace Scotland a bit "clunky" JDA - though the helpdesk are good and usually get me going. Some of the locations are pretty old and in need of upgrade.

On a trip to Auchterarder an Engligh chap was having problems getting connected to a charge point there and ended up setting himself up on the app on my phone so I had all his credit card details. Being an honest chap I didn't go on a spending spree (or stop his charging when my own was finished).
25 Jul
1:13pm, 25 Jul 2024
50,534 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
Yes agree with all that. CPS is old fashioned, clunky and lots of broken infra. But support is pretty good and I recently got £90 of overcharges refunded, within a week or so of asking.

It all needs to be changed to all "just work" like filling up with petrol or diesel does.

YC, that was very decent of you. Don't think I even share apps and data on phone with my wife, nevermind a stranger ! :-) G
25 Jul
1:15pm, 25 Jul 2024
50,535 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
BP broken and CPS too in Aviemore last month and the other one on the map I couldn't even find (in a holiday park?) Also the single fastcharfer in Ullapool was busy. Wasn't end of world but this stuff has to get better, esp in rural Scotland / holiday areas. :-) G
27 Jul
1:18pm, 27 Jul 2024
7,600 posts
  •  
ThorntonRunner
Return trip Leicester to Gatwick this morning to drop son + friend off for their trip to Norway: Set the cruise control to 63mph and was pleased to get over 4 m/kWh - so approx 230 miles range - that's only 20 miles down on local driving. Had to get them there for 7am, so was a 4am start. Straight down and then stopped at Cobham services on way back for breakfast and 35 minutes on the charger. All very smooth. (Pre-facelift MG5)
Have just got to repeat the process in a fortnight when they return!!
27 Jul
2:28pm, 27 Jul 2024
50,550 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
Seems very smooth TR. It's really not that hard, is it? Apparently we're at 63,000 public chargers in UK vs 4,000 petrol stations. Granted charging takes longer but if you can charge at home or work, then only applies in the few times you need to charge en route. :-) G
27 Jul
4:35pm, 27 Jul 2024
2,799 posts
  •  
HappyTimes
HG, that's not apples with apples though is it?
It would be chargers v pumps to be close to a comparable surely?
Not sure your source either as what seems to pop up is c 8300 + stations.

Older data suggested average 7.xx pumps per station.
Stations seem to have been falling, but also pumps per station increasing.
I would guesstimate there are at least as many if not more pumps still than chargers.
Then as you rightly state time to 'fuel' variance.
27 Jul
6:39pm, 27 Jul 2024
50,551 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
Might not be HT, absolutely didn't research it, just some numbers I saw in another place. Quite possibly not apples with apples. Charge points to pumps would be better comparison. And as charging takes 10x as long or more, it does need to get up to 10x, perhaps. Or a better measure would be number per car, no idea what that ratio is.

In rural Scotland - A9 Aviemore, Inverness, Ullapool, I have still experienced problems. And also A85, A82 Crianlarich, Glencoe, Fort William. So it's not faultless. Motorways south to England and into Europe as far as Hamburg in Germany, zero problem with availability, though still some confusion about interoperability.

Can't say for central belt Scotland because never needed to charge within 150 miles of home! :-) G

About This Thread

Maintained by larkim
Nattering about EVs; are you thinking about owning one? Do you own one? Are you terrified of owning one?

A thread for those with range anxiety, eco friendliness and petrol heads alike!

Some current vehicles that Fetchies have:-
HappyG Hyundai Kona 64kWh 240-280 miles range
ev-database.uk
larkim MG4 SE LR 61.7kWh usable (64kWh advertised)
ev-database.org
larkim (Now sold) Peugeot e208 46kWh usable (50kWh advertised) 180-220 miles range
ev-database.uk
ThorntonRunner Pre-facelift MG5 (LR Exclusive). 61kWh, 57kWh usable
ev-database.org
Jenelopy BYD Atto 60.5kWh usable
ev-database.org
Runningbear21 Jaguar i-Pace 84.7kWh
ev-database.org

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.