Elderly parents or relatives to care for and/or worry about? This is the place for you.

5 lurkers | 140 watchers
24 Aug
2:55pm, 24 Aug 2024
28,698 posts
  •  
Lizzie W
Dad has given up & wants to go & be looked after. Mum less so. Getting him to work out that carers at home will be cheaper (he's worried about money in current house)
24 Aug
5:39pm, 24 Aug 2024
7,360 posts
  •  
Little Miss Happy
It is so expensive whichever way Lizzie. Would them selling up and moving into somewhere that care is available should/when they need it be a compromise they might consider? We have schemes locally that offer independent flats with communal areas such as a cafe, community space and library with carers available 24 hours when necessary.
27 Aug
9:26am, 27 Aug 2024
3,920 posts
  •  
Big_G
Went to see Dad’s solicitor who has his Will the other day, just to check it was there and everything was in order. It’s very simple - ‘couldn’t be simpler’ was the solicitor’s comment - but then talk turned to probate which I do need to go through. Even for this simple estate he was quoting £1750-£2000+VAT for the probate. And if I want him to deal with the whole estate in terms of closing accounts and corresponding with everyone required, that is extra and he’s quoting separately for that (I’ve yet to receive that but I’m guessing it’s going to be another couple of grand).

I did actually involuntarily exclaim ‘crikey!’ when he quoted, and then he said he was always surprised that people felt it was expensive for his services, but would happily paid funeral expenses. I didn’t want to get into it with him, but I feel they’re very different services! I have to provide him all the info anyway, but from the probate site it appears to be a case of then entering those figures into the necessary boxes online.

Anyway, as long as I’m methodical and have the information to hand (basically property value from agents, any official bank closing statements following his death, an estimate of contents, the original Will), it’s fairly straightforward to do myself online isn’t it? I’m still gathering the information before I start the process, but I’m just making sure I’m not missing anything obvious here.
27 Aug
9:28am, 27 Aug 2024
19,662 posts
  •  
Mandymoo
We have done probate twice, and yes as along as you are methodical and have all the information it is quite straightforward.
27 Aug
9:31am, 27 Aug 2024
963 posts
  •  
Qwerty
I did a probate application online recently, very straightforward luckily for me. I'm still in the process of closing accounts etc, but fortunately there's no rush to get money to anyone.
27 Aug
9:38am, 27 Aug 2024
7,641 posts
  •  
ThorntonRunner
Just a question on getting property value for probate - does it need to be a formal estate agents valuation, or if I've looked at whay similar properties in the area have gone for can I make rhe estimate ( after all - properties rarely actually sell for the estate agents valuation). In our case the estate value will be well under inheritance tax levels.
27 Aug
9:47am, 27 Aug 2024
87,825 posts
  •  
Diogenes
I'd echo what Mandy and Qwerty have said, assuming it's a straightforward estate it is a piece of cake and certainly not worth paying someone 2k to do.
27 Aug
11:13am, 27 Aug 2024
69,485 posts
  •  
LindsD
+1
27 Aug
11:13am, 27 Aug 2024
69,486 posts
  •  
LindsD
@ThorntonRunner I didn't get a valuation. I wasn't asked for one.
jda
27 Aug
12:17pm, 27 Aug 2024
17,693 posts
  •  
jda
Any old estimate will do especially if you’re well below the tax threshold. You may need to get an estate agent to write it down officially though.

About This Thread

Maintained by LindsD
I thought I'd start a thread, as lots of us have elderly folks that we worry about/care for.

Useful info for after someone dies here (with thanks to grast_girl)
moneysavingexpert.com

Other useful links

myageingparent.com

moneysavingexpert.com

Who pays for residential care? Information here:

ageuk.org.uk

Advice on care homes and payment/funding

theguardian.com

Also: After someone dies, if their home insurance was only in their name, sadly the cover becomes void. But if the policy was in joint names, it will still cover the surviving policyholder (though the names on the policy will need to be updated).

A useful book of exercises for memory loss and dementia
amazon.co.uk

Pension Credit. The rules are a bit complex but if your elderly relative has some sort of disability (in this case dementia/Alzheimer's) and go into a home, they may be able to claim pension credit. So if carers allowance stops, it seems pension credit can start. It can also be backdated.

Fall alarm company, etc.

careium.co.uk

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.