Elderly parents or relatives to care for and/or worry about? This is the place for you.

4 lurkers | 140 watchers
21 Aug
7:55pm, 21 Aug 2024
6,203 posts
  •  
Ally-C
I woke up last night having a nightmare that my mum had her doors replaced but they all didn’t fit. She even tortures me in my dreams.
21 Aug
8:22pm, 21 Aug 2024
27,270 posts
  •  
Bazoaxe
Blimey McGoohaan, that sounds awful. Best wishes to you all

After two visits to MiL finding her seemingly deteriorating, tonight she was in good shape and form. Mrs A brought her cousin and a new source of conversation worked wonder.

BiL continues to outdo his previous misdeeds. The depth of his issues are only now being really understood.
21 Aug
8:52pm, 21 Aug 2024
69,424 posts
  •  
LindsD
We're here when you need us McG

Good news about MiL Baz

Sounds unpleasant, Ally
22 Aug
5:43am, 22 Aug 2024
7,356 posts
  •  
Little Miss Happy
In our thoughts McG.
22 Aug
1:10pm, 22 Aug 2024
17,352 posts
  •  
Badger
That sounds nightmarish, McG, good luck with it all.
22 Aug
1:49pm, 22 Aug 2024
50,739 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
I failed to say thank you to LMH. Thank you!

And McG, that sounds really hard, hope things resolve for all. ^
22 Aug
2:35pm, 22 Aug 2024
87,738 posts
  •  
Diogenes
I hope the dust settles quickly and well for you all, McG.
22 Aug
8:51pm, 22 Aug 2024
54,428 posts
  •  
McGoohan
Quick update: there's a meeting with the GP tomorrow & another with the care company on Tuesday.
jda
22 Aug
10:03pm, 22 Aug 2024
17,674 posts
  •  
jda
Well I hope it goes well for you McG.

Meanwhile Mother has had another fall, just today, spent the afternoon in A&E getting her head stitched up. Luckily she didn’t get her arms up in time like FiL did or she might have broken an elbow instead and never got out of hospital! Sounds like quite a big deep cut with a lot of blood (through to the bone and 14 stitches) but no serious after effects considering. They were happy for her to make her own way home (not sure if she actually got the bus, more likely a taxi I hope). By chance I was coming to visit and it happened just before I got there, though as I was on the train couldn’t have done anything useful anyway.

Not the first time she’s tripped and bumped her head but what can you do? She is not at all bolshy or blasé about the risks, walks with a stick and fairly carefully to my eye, but short of lying in bed all day, there’s not a lot to be done about it.
23 Aug
12:10am, 23 Aug 2024
69,445 posts
  •  
LindsD
Hope she's OK jda

luck McG

About This Thread

Maintained by LindsD
I thought I'd start a thread, as lots of us have elderly folks that we worry about/care for.

Useful info for after someone dies here (with thanks to grast_girl)
moneysavingexpert.com

Other useful links

myageingparent.com

moneysavingexpert.com

Who pays for residential care? Information here:

ageuk.org.uk

Advice on care homes and payment/funding

theguardian.com

Also: After someone dies, if their home insurance was only in their name, sadly the cover becomes void. But if the policy was in joint names, it will still cover the surviving policyholder (though the names on the policy will need to be updated).

A useful book of exercises for memory loss and dementia
amazon.co.uk

Pension Credit. The rules are a bit complex but if your elderly relative has some sort of disability (in this case dementia/Alzheimer's) and go into a home, they may be able to claim pension credit. So if carers allowance stops, it seems pension credit can start. It can also be backdated.

Fall alarm company, etc.

careium.co.uk

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.