Elderly parents or relatives to care for and/or worry about? This is the place for you.

2 lurkers | 140 watchers
21 Aug
1:38pm, 21 Aug 2024
18,067 posts
  •  
Garfield
Hubby just spoke with MIL and she seems quite happy about it now, as hubby has looked up the home and while it doesn't have the scenic view that the other one in Pembroke has, it's only on one level, whereas the other one is on three levels and she was worried she might get lost on the wrong floor.
21 Aug
2:12pm, 21 Aug 2024
7,351 posts
  •  
Little Miss Happy
That's good Garfield.
21 Aug
2:20pm, 21 Aug 2024
5,787 posts
  •  
icemaiden
McG -I hope it is all resolved soon.

Garfield, she may well find that there is a pin code to use the lift between the floors, and access to the stairs, which she won't get.
21 Aug
2:38pm, 21 Aug 2024
18,068 posts
  •  
Garfield
IM, she wouldn't be able to see the pad well enough to enter numbers! Stairs are one thing she doesn't do either! Fortunately the home she is going into only has one main level...though according to the activity forms, there is a second level...somewhere!
21 Aug
3:55pm, 21 Aug 2024
6,330 posts
  •  
TheScribbler
Sorry to hear this McG - sounds like a lot of things coming to a head.
21 Aug
4:08pm, 21 Aug 2024
69,417 posts
  •  
LindsD
OH God McG. That sounds really awful. But it sounds like it will bring an end to the current situation. I hope what comes next is better for everyone. Hugs to all.
3M
21 Aug
5:09pm, 21 Aug 2024
24,615 posts
  •  
3M
Hope you get a decent solution McG. It sounds truly horrible.
CK2
21 Aug
6:23pm, 21 Aug 2024
2,771 posts
  •  
CK2
So difficult McG! I hope the doctor can help.
Good news Garfield.
21 Aug
7:23pm, 21 Aug 2024
8,593 posts
  •  
Corrah
Oh dear McG. Hope there can be some sort of resolution that will work for everyone.
21 Aug
7:44pm, 21 Aug 2024
54,416 posts
  •  
McGoohan
Thanks for all your best wishes. It's a fast-moving situation at the minute and I'm going to pull back from discussing it so much. I'll next report when the dust has settled a bit.

About This Thread

Maintained by LindsD
I thought I'd start a thread, as lots of us have elderly folks that we worry about/care for.

Useful info for after someone dies here (with thanks to grast_girl)
moneysavingexpert.com

Other useful links

myageingparent.com

moneysavingexpert.com

Who pays for residential care? Information here:

ageuk.org.uk

Advice on care homes and payment/funding

theguardian.com

Also: After someone dies, if their home insurance was only in their name, sadly the cover becomes void. But if the policy was in joint names, it will still cover the surviving policyholder (though the names on the policy will need to be updated).

A useful book of exercises for memory loss and dementia
amazon.co.uk

Pension Credit. The rules are a bit complex but if your elderly relative has some sort of disability (in this case dementia/Alzheimer's) and go into a home, they may be able to claim pension credit. So if carers allowance stops, it seems pension credit can start. It can also be backdated.

Fall alarm company, etc.

careium.co.uk

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.