1 lurker | 160 watchers
3 Feb
10:12am, 3 Feb 2024
6,429 posts
  •  
quimby
Boosters going on sale for £45.

theguardian.com

I think it's shocking, given the number of unused vaccines there are reported available after a low take-up for the latest booster.

I got the latest booster on the NHS because I'm "clinically vulnerable". Would I pay for a vaccine if I hadn't? Yes, I think I would; I am concerned about long covid, and the general mass forgetting of covid in general by the goverment and the general population.
jda
3 Feb
10:24am, 3 Feb 2024
16,373 posts
  •  
jda
45 quid is price gouging though. Half that might be just about ok. Flu is 12-15 quid, at least it was when I last paid for it.
3 Feb
10:54am, 3 Feb 2024
48,674 posts
  •  
DocM
I'd pay £20, but £45 is shocking. And as I've just had it I doubt I'll bother. Thoughi might if I could get a booster in September
jda
3 Feb
10:58am, 3 Feb 2024
16,374 posts
  •  
jda
I'll be blagging freebies on the basis of elderly relatives, which I suppose will keep going til they pop their clogs.
3 Feb
11:16am, 3 Feb 2024
5,729 posts
  •  
icemaiden
I paid £20 for a flu jab this year in Boots, prices have gone up quite a bit.
3 Feb
11:32am, 3 Feb 2024
119,253 posts
  •  
Hanneke
That is in line with the general tendency of pushing treatments into the private sector. Even my cancer treatment! They practically hold you over a barrel and make you pay. What price do you put on your health?
jda
3 Feb
11:45am, 3 Feb 2024
16,375 posts
  •  
jda
Didn't realise flu had gone up so much, think it was maybe 12.95 in Boots when I last paid but of course that was a few years ago now as I've been getting free ones more recently. So that's a 50% increase. 17 quid in Superdrug, and half that if you have some sort of membership card, but there aren't any near here.

Covid jab didn't stop me getting it a couple of weeks ago. But maybe it made it less bad.
3 Feb
12:39pm, 3 Feb 2024
5,730 posts
  •  
icemaiden
Yup, flu was that a few years ago and a bit of competition from the supermarkets and pharmacies made it a no-brainer, but not now. I am not old enough for a free one yet, but somehow can get a free Covid jab.
3 Feb
6:49pm, 3 Feb 2024
3,051 posts
  •  
Grast_girl
I'm hopeful that once one is cleared to be sold to the general public, the others will soon follow suit and it will become cheaper. From what I've seen online, most are saying Novavax tends to have less of the short-term post jab symptoms. It may also be more effective on the most recent strains of covid. If that holds out until April, I'll definitely pay for a course (and will offer to friends and family to pay for theirs too). Hopefully there will be a way for everyone to get one.

Just need them to work on one for under 12s now as that group is chronically undervaccinated.
um
4 Feb
8:31am, 4 Feb 2024
8,185 posts
  •  
um
Doesn't seem too bad, considering the cost price (in USA) is around $80 - $100 and the going rate there is $120 ish.

Have thy got round the storage issue, or does it still need storing at -80C (or something) and mixing before delivery?

About This Thread

Maintained by DocM
PLEASE NOTE
There is a separate discussion thread for debating the grander scheme of things here: fetcheveryone.com/forum/coronavirus-discussion-thread-61609

Go there if you want to talk about whether it's real, whether the government are trying to control us, etc, etc.

===

information, discussion and support about the unfolding Covid-19 outbreak
NO politics please
And above all please be kind and respect others points of view and concerns.

microbiologists view byFlatlander
Science of coronavirus
fetcheveryone.com/blog/37839/2020/3#blog403867
coronavirus testing by Flatlander
fetcheveryone.com/blog/37839/2020/4#blog405255

information for ashtma sufferers
asthma.org.uk

information for pregnancy
rcog.org.uk

imperial article
imperial.ac.uk
imperial.ac.uk

Government advice gov.uk

advice for those with RA and autoinmmune diseases
nras.org.uk

diabetes advice
diabetes.org.uk

explaination of the maths of the growth of the epidemic
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kas0tIxDvrg&fbclid=IwAR3exg0rG_Bz3gPqjXY3rcFajqVSk-cOK5lQGVkYcuzoMOdNEp7VTgH-Kac&app=desktop

tips to help you cope
drive.google.com

Advice to stay at home
assets.publishing.service.gov.uk

planning for and what to do if you are ill
covid-at-home.info
support for self isolates
nhsvolunteerresponders.org.uk

Ft coronavirus tracker
ft.com

A good article about dealing with the feelings of grief that the current situation has given us hbr.org

advice on self isolation for indivuals with symptoms or and their household
gov.uk

seven day rolling averages
ourworldindata.org

A sustainable exit strategy document
institute.global

susceptibility to covid by flatlander
fetcheveryone.com/blog/37839/2020/5#blog406151

bromage article
erinbromage.com

government guidelines 11th may for England(NI, Scotland and Wales linked at the bottom of article)
gov.uk

breathing practice
physiotherapyforbpd.org.uk

lancet articles
thelancet.com

help with mask anxiety
psychologytoday.com

tracker
travellingtabby.com
theguardian.com
video of droplet dispersal
https://youtu.be/DNeYfUTA11s