Coronavirus **support** thread

1 lurker | 160 watchers
Jun 2020
8:32am, 10 Jun 2020
1,699 posts
  •  
Dave W
All seems a bit piecemeal to me.

Are they rushing stuff out in a very ad hoc basis? Or is there careful planning behind it all?

Is it so careful that no-one else can understand it?

Think I'm in the "ad hoc" camp. Suppose we'll have to wait and see.
Jun 2020
8:38am, 10 Jun 2020
17,675 posts
  •  
EvilPixie
it does seem that the changes reflect public opinion or business desire
jda
Jun 2020
8:47am, 10 Jun 2020
7,575 posts
  •  
jda
Our club is considering starting up group runs as per EA guidelines (we are usually under/around 6 per run anyway).

It’s got to be piecemeal as we can’t afford to go back to “old normal”.
Jun 2020
9:02am, 10 Jun 2020
1,700 posts
  •  
Dave W
You had me wondering if piecemeal meant what I thought it meant, jda.

"characterized by unsystematic partial measures taken over a period of time".

You were right with the "partial measures taken over a period of time" but I was more thinking about the "unsystematic" bit.
Jun 2020
9:02am, 10 Jun 2020
55 posts
  •  
mathschick
I feel that with zoos the zoos were about to collapse financially, gov don't want to do more handouts so letting them open is the easiest thing to do. I imagine zoos have spent the last couple of months figuring out how to open with social distancing so should be fairly ready...depending what goc guidance is issued to them at the last minute
Jun 2020
9:23am, 10 Jun 2020
37,666 posts
  •  
LindsD
I need a filling and to get my eyes sorted out. I *think* the dentists are open and my opticians definitely is, but I'm still reluctant. I feel a bit like I have lasted this long (both issues arose just before lockdown) and I can carry on. With the tooth there is a risk that it could get worse, but the dentist haven't contacted me, so clearly I'm not high priority. But when to do it, then?
Jun 2020
9:33am, 10 Jun 2020
56 posts
  •  
mathschick
Linds - might be worth ringing the dentist, given that dentists have always been aware of using ppe and infection control I would feel confident going to the dentist, not so sure about the optician though
um
Jun 2020
9:38am, 10 Jun 2020
2,637 posts
  •  
um
Many of the dentists round here are slow to re-open. Mainly because they donated all their PPE to care homes.

But the message seems similar - the dentists chair will probably be one the most sterile/clean areas you'll be in.

Optician's (well, at least mine) always seem to be very close & personal face to face, eye to eye, in a fairly small poky room.
Jun 2020
9:45am, 10 Jun 2020
3,644 posts
  •  
ndellar
Linds - I had to have a tooth out at the end of April. It started to grumble at the start of lock down, and it ramped up over 5 weeks. I ended up going through the emergency dental hub process (I was really lucky I got seen inside 24h). It was a bit weird at the time with all the staff having PPE and temp checks etc but used to the dentist wearing masks etc so was ok really.

There was no infection in my case but tooth had a large filling already and was extremely painful - I couldn't sleep / function for the pain and was pretty much begging them to take it out. If things were normal, I may have been able to have root canal / crown, but the emergency folk weren't able to drill or do anything aerosol generating, so it was put up with it (!!!!) or have it removed. I'm not sure if dentists that are open now can do fillings and things or if their services are also limited.

I'm due a check up early July (ironically I would have had a check up just before my "trouble" flared up but it got moved) and I'd really like that to go ahead because if there are any other hidden issues I'd rather get them sorted before it gets to that stage again.

I do kind of feel that I'd still have that tooth in some form if the world was normal, as I'd have gone to the dentist straight away in March - so I think it would be worth trying to get it sorted sooner rather than later if you can.
Jun 2020
9:52am, 10 Jun 2020
47,055 posts
  •  
Velociraptor
I've been notified that I'll be offered an antibody test at the end of this month. Though things could change a million times between now and then. eL Bee! has had one, which was negative, as we expected.

About This Thread

Maintained by DocM
PLEASE NOTE
There is a separate discussion thread for debating the grander scheme of things here: fetcheveryone.com/forum/coronavirus-discussion-thread-61609

Go there if you want to talk about whether it's real, whether the government are trying to control us, etc, etc.

===

information, discussion and support about the unfolding Covid-19 outbreak
NO politics please
And above all please be kind and respect others points of view and concerns.

microbiologists view byFlatlander
Science of coronavirus
fetcheveryone.com/blog/37839/2020/3#blog403867
coronavirus testing by Flatlander
fetcheveryone.com/blog/37839/2020/4#blog405255

information for ashtma sufferers
asthma.org.uk

information for pregnancy
rcog.org.uk

imperial article
imperial.ac.uk
imperial.ac.uk

Government advice gov.uk

advice for those with RA and autoinmmune diseases
nras.org.uk

diabetes advice
diabetes.org.uk

explaination of the maths of the growth of the epidemic
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kas0tIxDvrg&fbclid=IwAR3exg0rG_Bz3gPqjXY3rcFajqVSk-cOK5lQGVkYcuzoMOdNEp7VTgH-Kac&app=desktop

tips to help you cope
drive.google.com

Advice to stay at home
assets.publishing.service.gov.uk

planning for and what to do if you are ill
covid-at-home.info
support for self isolates
nhsvolunteerresponders.org.uk

Ft coronavirus tracker
ft.com

A good article about dealing with the feelings of grief that the current situation has given us hbr.org

advice on self isolation for indivuals with symptoms or and their household
gov.uk

seven day rolling averages
ourworldindata.org

A sustainable exit strategy document
institute.global

susceptibility to covid by flatlander
fetcheveryone.com/blog/37839/2020/5#blog406151

bromage article
erinbromage.com

government guidelines 11th may for England(NI, Scotland and Wales linked at the bottom of article)
gov.uk

breathing practice
physiotherapyforbpd.org.uk

lancet articles
thelancet.com

help with mask anxiety
psychologytoday.com

tracker
travellingtabby.com
theguardian.com
video of droplet dispersal
https://youtu.be/DNeYfUTA11s