Coronavirus **support** thread

160 watchers
MH
Jun 2020
9:46am, 9 Jun 2020
685 posts
  •  
MH
I know I was doing it around 15-20 years ago, although this was with work colleagues and friends from lots of different places across Europe and the US, so maybe just cultural. I do recall going in for an automatic cheek kiss for one of my US colleagues that I knew well - he recoiled as he was only expecting a hug (Americans are definitely huggers)
Jun 2020
10:37am, 9 Jun 2020
19,915 posts
  •  
Dvorak
Maybe it was the Teletubbies. Big Hug!!!!! And footballers. Beach volleyball!! You don't have to celebrate every single point! Makes it unwatchable.

I don't tend to initiate hugs (I think. Occasionally.) but I don't mind getting a hug from someone. As long as they don't try to squash me. Tend to think runners are more huggy than other people? Maybe hugs go more with raised emotions?

I'm also a handy height for most women to hug, and unlikely to be hoisting anyone off the ground ;-)

High five!
Jun 2020
10:46am, 9 Jun 2020
17,664 posts
  •  
EvilPixie
WOW
so the US is suggesting that CV19 was about as early as August 2019 based on the volume of cars in hospital car parks in China and searches for symptoms on the internet

big brother really is watching you
Jun 2020
10:49am, 9 Jun 2020
12,354 posts
  •  
Badger
I wouldn't hug anyone at work unless they are very clear about wanting it! (Which comes down to 3 or 4 people, one I've known for 15 years, others less long but they are proper friends not just work ones, and one who just hugs everyone especially when he's had a beer or two, and it seems rude not to).

I do actually miss the odd hug, though. Did a race two weekends before lockdown, ran into one of the above who would definitely have been huggy normally, did a cautious elbow bump instead. Not the same.
Jun 2020
11:00am, 9 Jun 2020
10,353 posts
  •  
geordiegirl
While I am a hugger it is only with people I am comfortable with and I am also mindful that not everyone I'm comfortable with is comfortable with hugs so it is always only mutual - I just happen to know a lot of mutual huggers.

I remember one night out with work colleagues a guy kicked off with me as I hadn't hugged him and he was outraged as I hugged other guys at work. I may have pointed out that his attitude right there proved why I chose not to hug him.

What have you been reading EP? My cousin showed me an article that suggested the death rate in China was much bigger based on the number of mobile phone contracts that had been cancelled since October!
Jun 2020
11:02am, 9 Jun 2020
17,665 posts
  •  
EvilPixie
GG
BBC bbc.co.uk

China dismisses study suggesting Covid hit much earlier
A patient's temperature is checked in a Wuhan hospital
Getty ImagesCopyright: Getty Images
China has dismissed a study suggesting the coronavirus might have been spreading in the city of Wuhan as early as August last year as "ridiculous".

The research carried out by Harvard Medical School used satellite imagery of hospital car parks in Wuhan - where Covid-19 was first identified towards the end of last year - and data for symptom-related queries on search engines for things such as "cough" and "diarrhoea".

The study found a steep increase in hospital car park occupancy in August 2019.

However, China's Foreign Ministry spokeswoman Hua Chunying said: "I think it is ridiculous, incredibly ridiculous, to come up with this conclusion based on superficial observations such as traffic volume."
Jun 2020
11:11am, 9 Jun 2020
10,354 posts
  •  
geordiegirl
I think there was a huge cover up even in January when it was mentioned at the time I was poorly it was just a flu - my family joked I had Geordie flu. My friend in HK his employers worried he had Wuhan flu just after returning from Xmas break. He only had a minor cold but then symptoms vary so much who actually knows?

Link my cousin sent re mobile phones. snopes.com
Jun 2020
11:17am, 9 Jun 2020
17,666 posts
  •  
EvilPixie
people keep unearthing stuff
I'm sure we don't know everything
Jun 2020
11:20am, 9 Jun 2020
11,224 posts
  •  
larkim
I've no doubt that, with China being China, we definitely don't know all the facts about C19, but I'd be amazed if any of the bad coughs and colds going around in the UK in Jan / Feb were related in any way at all.

The symptoms of the relatively high number of those who get really poorly would have been obvious in January if that had been the case as teh hospitals would have seen the need for ventilators from at least a few more than usual had that been the case.

We had a couple of kids with nasty chesty coughs (one needed an out of hours nurse practitioner visit and anti-biotics) in the household and it would be easy for me to assign those to C19 retrospectively, but I just can't put the bigger picture of infection alongside that and conclude that they had anything other than "just another" virus of the sort we get at that time of year.
Jun 2020
11:21am, 9 Jun 2020
8,686 posts
  •  
simbil
Bit confused by those Harvard claims. If c19 was present in Wuhan in August, given how quickly it spreads unchecked, then there would have been huge numbers of cases by October/November.
Seems like a bit of leap based on scant evidence unless I'm missing something - maybe there were other health events that meant the car park at the hospital was unusually full?

About This Thread

Maintained by DocM
PLEASE NOTE
There is a separate discussion thread for debating the grander scheme of things here: fetcheveryone.com/forum/coronavirus-discussion-thread-61609

Go there if you want to talk about whether it's real, whether the government are trying to control us, etc, etc.

===

information, discussion and support about the unfolding Covid-19 outbreak
NO politics please
And above all please be kind and respect others points of view and concerns.

microbiologists view byFlatlander
Science of coronavirus
fetcheveryone.com/blog/37839/2020/3#blog403867
coronavirus testing by Flatlander
fetcheveryone.com/blog/37839/2020/4#blog405255

information for ashtma sufferers
asthma.org.uk

information for pregnancy
rcog.org.uk

imperial article
imperial.ac.uk
imperial.ac.uk

Government advice gov.uk

advice for those with RA and autoinmmune diseases
nras.org.uk

diabetes advice
diabetes.org.uk

explaination of the maths of the growth of the epidemic
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kas0tIxDvrg&fbclid=IwAR3exg0rG_Bz3gPqjXY3rcFajqVSk-cOK5lQGVkYcuzoMOdNEp7VTgH-Kac&app=desktop

tips to help you cope
drive.google.com

Advice to stay at home
assets.publishing.service.gov.uk

planning for and what to do if you are ill
covid-at-home.info
support for self isolates
nhsvolunteerresponders.org.uk

Ft coronavirus tracker
ft.com

A good article about dealing with the feelings of grief that the current situation has given us hbr.org

advice on self isolation for indivuals with symptoms or and their household
gov.uk

seven day rolling averages
ourworldindata.org

A sustainable exit strategy document
institute.global

susceptibility to covid by flatlander
fetcheveryone.com/blog/37839/2020/5#blog406151

bromage article
erinbromage.com

government guidelines 11th may for England(NI, Scotland and Wales linked at the bottom of article)
gov.uk

breathing practice
physiotherapyforbpd.org.uk

lancet articles
thelancet.com

help with mask anxiety
psychologytoday.com

tracker
travellingtabby.com
theguardian.com
video of droplet dispersal
https://youtu.be/DNeYfUTA11s