Coronavirus discussion thread

136 watchers
Jul 2021
9:40am, 30 Jul 2021
12,392 posts
  •  
Little Nemo
9 of the tablets were normal but 2 were enormous! Nearly choked on one of them :-o

They took blood samples and I have to do a saliva test for 7 days and keep a diary. Also have to record my temperature every time I take the tablets. Luckily from now on it's just 2 small and 1 large 4 times a day.

Still quite tired and I get out of breath if I try to do anything strenuous. Work have been very good and told me not to rush back but I'm hoping to be able to wfh by Monday.
Jul 2021
10:26am, 30 Jul 2021
6,201 posts
  •  
Metro_Nome
Yeah it’s a fair point gg, it’s the people that know they’re positive that still go out on the basis they won’t see anybody that really wind me up
Jul 2021
10:58am, 30 Jul 2021
1,010 posts
  •  
Big_G
Tim's example and the discussion reminds me when I got berated early on in the first lockdown for going out for a run and daring to touch a stile, as I was told I may be risking others for doing so. I think the strangest thing I saw was a very good friend of mine putting hand sanitiser over his 3 YOs face as a leaf brushed her cheek as she walked past a bush, and later giving her hands a thorough scrub as she had dared to pick up a pebble on a pretty deserted beach. I found it very stressful seeing them. There are different levels and attitudes to risk and there are always a lot of 'what ifs?'. Chances are, Tim won't fall over and need to call for help.
Jul 2021
11:10am, 30 Jul 2021
31,555 posts
  •  
Ocelot Spleens
Yes. I remember crossing a stile early lockdown 1 and the person coming the other way cleaning it with a wet wipe. Must have been an awfully long walk for that bloke!
Jul 2021
11:27am, 30 Jul 2021
21,157 posts
  •  
DeeGee
Funny how we all went absolutely crazy for preventing fomite transmission, to the extent of running out of sanitiser and soap in the shops, especially when, in the end, that isn't how Covid is spread.
Jul 2021
11:42am, 30 Jul 2021
4,786 posts
  •  
Little Miss Happy
Take as long as you need off work LN - the priority is recovering as well and as quickly as possible.

Whilst Big_G's example is a little extreme being wary of fomite transmission when we didn't have evidence to say that wasn't how CV19 spread was sensible (though I was never one for sanitising or quarantining my shopping).

As for not going out when required to self isolate well 'the rules is the rules' as they say - anyone want to declare a HM PB from a short course because the race was called a HM? We know what we should do and that can be different to what we can justify to ourselves.
Jul 2021
11:56am, 30 Jul 2021
8,139 posts
  •  
sallykate
Good hand hygiene can help prevent other viruses from spreading - flu and norovirus for example - so although it was a bit of a red herring for Covid it might have a beneficial effect if people maintain the habit in a sensible way, i.e. not being over-enthusiastic but for example taking care after going on public transport.

LN if you'd not be well enough to work from an office you're not well enough to work from home either. I hope you do feel better soon.
Jul 2021
12:40pm, 30 Jul 2021
15,275 posts
  •  
geordiegirl
LN same as others if you are not well don’t work. My friend went back too soon and now 7 months later still off.

On isolating we have to be clear if you have been asked to yes you should but if you were at a venue where someone later tests positive but you know you’ve not been in contact with others then (& it’s not an isolating requirement) it’s bonkers to isolate. If phones are in contact it can be through a wall (or a car as has been mentioned on here) or the person may have been within 2m but not directly then I would assess my risk based on where I’ve been. But I go so few places I could still give T&T a full itinerary if when and where I’ve been so I could make a very good assessment.

End of day we are all in different circumstances and what is normal for me isn’t normal for others (no kids, limited contact with people ) so I may look at my life as lower risk than others may have in their lives so important (imho) to not judge others based on our circumstances
Jul 2021
12:50pm, 30 Jul 2021
4,787 posts
  •  
Little Miss Happy
If that's aimed at me gg you'll note that I said 'when required to self isolate'.
Jul 2021
1:29pm, 30 Jul 2021
13,612 posts
  •  
Ultracat
Regarding hand hygiene I remember going on a cruise with Cunard and it was years before Covid and having to sanitise hands before entering dining room and there was always someone sanitising the staircase to prevent the spread of norovirus.

About This Thread

Maintained by sallykate
Discussion of coronavirus: share useful information, air your frustrations but play nicely!

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.