BIKE THREAD

200 watchers
Sep 2008
10:54pm, 16 Sep 2008
6,435 posts
  •  
EvilPixie
cool mad that's fab, how noisy are they?
I see a spending spree!
Sep 2008
10:57pm, 16 Sep 2008
24,134 posts
  •  
mad4purple
well I watch a dvd when I am on it, and only have it up a bit louder than normal. It's like a whirring noise. Hard to describe. I don't know how loud other makes are though.
Sep 2008
10:57pm, 16 Sep 2008
786 posts
  •  
Slowboy
Pix, a pair of cheap mountain bike shoes (so you can actually walk in them) and basic shimano SPD pedals. You'll never look back.

You will fall off at least once because you forgot to unclip when you came to a standstill but....everyone does, at least once. For me it was just in front of a bus-stop full of people.

Dealing with the wind - it's nasty. Change down a few gears, keep spinning the pedals and accept that you'll be going slower. Nothing else to do - if you try to get your head down and better your way through it you'll...well, get a good work-out :) lol
Sep 2008
10:58pm, 16 Sep 2008
24,135 posts
  •  
mad4purple
For me my fall was oustide my house when I was too interested in pressing stop on my bike computer, I was just getting up when someone I knew went past!!!
Sep 2008
10:58pm, 16 Sep 2008
5,503 posts
  •  
eL Bee!
"pair of cheap mountain bike shoes (so you can actually walk in them) and basic shimano SPD pedals"

That's what I have - brill :)
Sep 2008
10:59pm, 16 Sep 2008
24,136 posts
  •  
mad4purple
I should really buy some SPD-SL pedals and then I could just use the shoes I already have, but.......

I want new shoes and SPDs will be better if I do go off road... I think
Sep 2008
11:00pm, 16 Sep 2008
787 posts
  •  
Slowboy
Yeah, I have road shoes and campag road pedals which are little works of art and weigh less than a very light thing, but are a nightmare the instant you get off the bike.

I changed once I started riding to work...can't see me going back now unless I get a v.v.nice bike for 'best'
Sep 2008
11:03pm, 16 Sep 2008
24,137 posts
  •  
mad4purple
Yeah, I had a puncture on my back tyre once on my road bike(coudn't get my tyre off) and was wearing my DMTs I had to hitch a lift home as the only other alternative was taking my shoes off and walking home, as I really couldn't walk that far in the road shoes.
Sep 2008
11:13pm, 16 Sep 2008
788 posts
  •  
Slowboy
Pix, turbo trainers on a solid floor (concrete) are quite quiet. On a wooden floor they are 'a bit noisy'

If you want to be proper hardcore, get rollers instead. They'll make you develop a very smooth and efficient pedalling style, and teach you to be very smooth on the bike. Trouble is, you have to concentrate when you're on them, and the first few sessions are awful - practically enough to put you off using them. You get much more than just a workout from them however.

Oh, they tend to be noisier as well, in the 'making the whole house shake' kind of way :P
Sep 2008
11:16pm, 16 Sep 2008
24,138 posts
  •  
mad4purple
Yeah I have heard about rollers, I'm perfectly capable of falling off my bike outside I'm not sure I want to do it inside too. Also I heard that you build up a lot of static on them so when you get off don't touch anything metal, am I right?

About This Thread

Maintained by GregP