BIKE THREAD

200 watchers
Sep 2008
9:00pm, 16 Sep 2008
39,344 posts
  •  
Hanneke
I can fit 5 bikes in the back of the van, but only one passenger apart from me :-(

Good luck with the towbar fitting :-)
Sep 2008
9:00pm, 16 Sep 2008
785 posts
  •  
Slowboy
News for anyone thinking about going fixed for winter (ie me and other old people)

cgi.ebay.co.uk

As soon as I know how much my car's going to cost me (been off at the bodyshop having MOT welding done for...four weeks now...think I'll just leave it there) I think I'll be getting one of these.

No idea about quality, but cost-wise it's only on a par with buying an old steel frame with semi-horizontal dropouts and having that refurbed/resprayed. How bad can it be as a winter hack?

If you check their ebay shop they have sets of track wheels as well....
Sep 2008
9:18pm, 16 Sep 2008
39,345 posts
  •  
Hanneke
Cool! I am alas not savvy enough on the technical front to build my own bike... I can just about do breaks, cables, gear adjusting and stuff, that's it... oh and I have changed a chain once :-) and I can change my inner tube on the rear wheel in 4 mins 36 seconds :-)
Sep 2008
9:40pm, 16 Sep 2008
6,431 posts
  •  
EvilPixie
stupid question time ... what's the best way to handle wind .... do you drop to your dips and just head down into it or what?
Also I've been thinking about pedals .... I mean them cycling shoe things and SPD (?) things? and tri bars/ aero bars whatever they are called.
Oh and last of all .... turbo trainers? how do they work and how much do you have to spend for a decent one? The last couple of days my lad has been ill meaning I'm missing training so I thought it may be an idea!
Ta!
Sep 2008
10:34pm, 16 Sep 2008
24,130 posts
  •  
mad4purple
Hey pix,

Pedals are fab, I really hate the toe straps on the MTB now and will ASAP be getting SPD pedals and shoes. My road bike has SPD-SL pedals on it. They are both types of 'clipless' pedals. There will be someone here who knows a lot more than me, you only have to look back a few pages to to see my blondeness!

I have a turbo trainer, I inherited from Graeme too, I'm not sure if he wants it back or not. They are hard work, and you certainly know you have been on one, it's nothing like a bike in the gym. A fan is often recommended when you buy one, I don't have a fan, but I do TT under an open window and still get hot.
Sep 2008
10:38pm, 16 Sep 2008
6,433 posts
  •  
EvilPixie
m4p v-rap (who I got my trainers from cos she stock piled them!) has a pair of shoes for me to try as she doesn't like them so after Brum I may be pedals and shoes! So that's a start
As I want to do L2B I need to do lots of cycling, I'm guessing a TT isn't heavy and is non-impact unlike a tready so could go in the conservatory ie open door and at the back of the house ?
Sep 2008
10:43pm, 16 Sep 2008
24,131 posts
  •  
mad4purple
That is the beauty of a TT, it's small and easy to move around, you will only use the space of the bike plus a little bit more at the back.

cyclestore.co.uk

That's how big they are, the centre of the wheel goes between the two bits at the top of the triangle. If you want I will take a pic of mine set up, it's up now so wouldn't take a minute if you want to see a pic.
Sep 2008
10:46pm, 16 Sep 2008
6,434 posts
  •  
EvilPixie
oh cool please!
Sep 2008
10:52pm, 16 Sep 2008
24,132 posts
  •  
mad4purple
[IMAGE]

[IMAGE]

[IMAGE]

You can see my pedals too and how much room I have
Sep 2008
10:53pm, 16 Sep 2008
24,133 posts
  •  
mad4purple
I actually moved my sofa a few inches too to ba able to take a better pic. :)

About This Thread

Maintained by GregP