BIKE THREAD

200 watchers
Aug 2008
5:33pm, 5 Aug 2008
3,021 posts
  •  
hammerite
Raoul - the next few weeks is probably the best time to be buying a bike. You can have the luxury of choosing between entry level bikes at the RRP around £500, or you may get a bargain bike in the sales (2009 bikes will shortly be released so places tend to sell off 2008 or earlier bikes cheaply). There are so many different alternatives that it's impossible to steer you in one direction or another, have a look about and post your shortlist. You generally can't go wrong with the big names.

Durbat - here's a good discussion on puncture resistant tyres. Conti do not seem to be favoured though. bikeradar.com
Aug 2008
5:38pm, 5 Aug 2008
4,760 posts
  •  
GregP
I'd be tempted, as Hammers says, to wait for the 2009 models to come out then get a 2008 model at a hooj discount. Having said that, the entry level TriandRun bike's a solit bit of kit. Carbon fork, entry level Campy, IIRC strange tube shapes. Born2Tri bought a job lot of them earlier in the year. Not to everyone's taste, but good all the same.
Aug 2008
5:40pm, 5 Aug 2008
4,761 posts
  •  
GregP
Good for mad4purple - there's nothing wrong with SCR3s - I hired one last year. If they come out the same price I'd go for the TriandRun option, but its very much a personal thing, and unless you do something stoopid (like go to CycleKing or wherever) its pretty difficult to find a genuinely bad bike nowadays. Which is cheerful.
Aug 2008
5:45pm, 5 Aug 2008
6,683 posts
  •  
idio
If you want a cheap Specialized you'll have to wait till some time in September :(
Aug 2008
5:48pm, 5 Aug 2008
23,892 posts
  •  
mad4purple
I bought mine last year, but it was the year before's model or something like that so it was £338 instead of £375. Bargain :)
Aug 2008
10:57pm, 5 Aug 2008
16 posts
  •  
Thanks for the advice. And also for being so friendly to an absolute beginner..

GregP, a friend of mine from the Serpentine Running Club who is a bike nut said exactly the same thing as you did- if the price is the same go for the triandrun bike. As it happens the triandrun bike should work out cheaper.

I think I will pick up a nearly new triandrun bike at the London Triathlon Expo on Saturday afternoon.
Aug 2008
6:33am, 6 Aug 2008
4,771 posts
  •  
GregP
Cool - I'm trying not to buy *anything* on Saturday afternoon, but its doomed to failure. I was planning to give what I *didn't* spend to Project VIper...
Aug 2008
9:15am, 6 Aug 2008
23,895 posts
  •  
mad4purple
Oh bu99er, I went to go out on my bike, I had the shorts on, helmet out etc, got the bike out of my storage and the chain is dry. Now I have to find the bike shop in my town to get some oil stuff and also I really need a new seat on it and some new bike gloves. I'm not yet venturing out on my Giant yet as the position I am in on the handle bars makes my shoulder ache, I will leave that one for a few weeks/months, once I have done a bit more physio.
Aug 2008
9:30am, 6 Aug 2008
4,783 posts
  •  
GregP
Back on the subject of tyres... Being an unimaginitive sort I'm still using Spediums2s. Any thoughts?

Ordered MrsP some new tyres for her hybrid earlier, too. Details to follow.
Aug 2008
4:30pm, 6 Aug 2008
4,851 posts
  •  
GregP
New tyres ordered for MrsP: Vittoria Randonneur Touring.

About This Thread

Maintained by GregP