BIKE THREAD

200 watchers
Aug 2008
10:13am, 1 Aug 2008
4,873 posts
  •  
Red Tomato
I have to use halfords as thats who my employers say I have to, but it will be a focus, noone will ever know. The savings by using the C2W are enormous, for instance, if I got a £599 boardman bike ( which looks like it has the same specs as the focus) it will only cost me about £400 or £24 a month for 18 months. Thats got to be a bargain hasn't it?
I have an apollo bike in the garage, I think thats the best place for it.
Aug 2008
10:19am, 1 Aug 2008
4,573 posts
  •  
GregP
Gotta love my Focus. German/Italian/French/Japanese/American engineering at its finest...

Its the right bike, IMO, just wait for the 2009 model than get the 2008 at a hooj saving.
Aug 2008
10:36am, 1 Aug 2008
2,239 posts
  •  
2 Flat Feet
I love my Apollo ;-)
Aug 2008
10:39am, 1 Aug 2008
4,538 posts
  •  
At what point does the cycle to work scheme lock-in to a specific bike shop (Halfords)? I thought you could use any shop that offered the scheme and then claim the voucher to that value??

It's looking good here for the scheme to happen, HR lady has replied to my email stating that it should be in place in a couple of weeks :) :) :)
Aug 2008
10:49am, 1 Aug 2008
4,875 posts
  •  
Red Tomato
depends on your employer KR2, mine, ( suffolk county council) only allows use of halfords, but they can source any bike you want, I am just miffed as they are £90 more than wiggle. I think I might follow Greg's advice, the no socks advice worked so I know he can be trusted ;-)
Aug 2008
10:50am, 1 Aug 2008
1,521 posts
  •  
I had to take my daughter to my OHs work last night at rush hour. it's one of those new office block estates. well the traffic was atrocious and I saw one person cars 95% of the time, about 4 bikies travelling home. And I thought petrol is not expensive enough.

and this is an estate that have a big alternative transport scheme in place including safe bike routes.
Aug 2008
10:51am, 1 Aug 2008
13,257 posts
  •  
B.B.
KR2 - they all run similar schemes but with different names. e.g. Evans and Halfords have schemes but one's called Ride2Work, the other is called Cycle2Work or something. When you get the voucher it will be for one or the other (or another shop's scheme)
Aug 2008
10:52am, 1 Aug 2008
13,258 posts
  •  
B.B.
By the way, you used to be able to order bikes from other places via the Halfords scheme. Some folk I know got Focus bikes from Wiggle via their Halfords scheme. Just call Halfords and ask
Aug 2008
10:53am, 1 Aug 2008
4,877 posts
  •  
Red Tomato
I did and they can but not at the reduced price that wiggle are advertising.
MH
Aug 2008
10:58am, 1 Aug 2008
7 posts
  •  
MH
It's a shame they are tying you to Halfords. I popped into our local one yesterday, I needed a bottle cage quickly and I was passing. I took a look at the Boardman bikes and they do look good. But the place was a shambles, totally disorganised and a real mess. Then the girl at the main till point (who was leaning/slumping on the counter the whole time, even when typing on the pc terminal or taking money - obviously she had lost the ability to stand) yelled out, 'where's xxx? I need him to build up a Boys FZ whatever...has to be ready to go in half an hour' ....bit depressing

About This Thread

Maintained by GregP