BIKE THREAD

200 watchers
Jun 2008
9:27pm, 3 Jun 2008
58 posts
  •  
My boss bought me a Specialized Rockhopper pro disk a year ago on ctw scheme and i absolutly love it! They are amazing bikes!
Jun 2008
9:30pm, 3 Jun 2008
59 posts
  •  
In fact a quick note is that specialized and Claude Butler, and i think by memory Scott are made in Taiwan on the same factory line.Taiwan have the most enhansed production line in the world, trust me
Jun 2008
9:31pm, 3 Jun 2008
2,730 posts
  •  
hammerite
Trek are Taiwan too, not sure if it's the same factorey though!
Jun 2008
9:43pm, 3 Jun 2008
747 posts
  •  
Improvements in new materials and production techniques have made a massive difference in bikes. Most of the pro teams will still have made to measure bikes still.
Jun 2008
10:15pm, 3 Jun 2008
203 posts
  •  
mackfly
Anyone up for this event in a couple of weeks. You can enter on the day. I can't find out if its hilly or not. Does anyone know the area?
Jun 2008
10:15pm, 3 Jun 2008
12,635 posts
  •  
B.B.
Guys - when I get my bike should I get a computer for speed / cadence etc?

I have a Garmin Forerunner 305, so I guess I can use that for speed (and HR), but thinking for the sake of a £30 computer it might be easier to get a proper bike one.

Any recommendations?
Jun 2008
10:21pm, 3 Jun 2008
493 posts
  •  
JulesR
Garmins Forerunners aren't the simplest to mount on bikes but it can be done and the 305 Forerunner has a cadence meter add-on you can buy cheaply that's quite useful. It depends on your bike but a polar mount is cheap and you can attach the Garmin to it easily if no tri bars and use a profile design add-on if you have tribars. It means you can take the Gramin with you after T2 if you like that sort of thing.
Jun 2008
10:21pm, 3 Jun 2008
35,382 posts
  •  
Hanneke
With the 305, you can get a cadence thing for the bike BB... I could not with my 301, so got myself a bikecomputer. Cadence is importnat for training purposes. I admit to liking the bike computer, because it does not loose signal under trees and I have a few routes on the bike that go through some woodland...
Jun 2008
10:30pm, 3 Jun 2008
2,731 posts
  •  
hammerite
heartratemonitor.co.uk

These guys have a bike mount and cadence add on for a forerunner. I like the idea of using a garmin on the bike to log my route. Although are you able to use HRM and cadence at the same time (i.e. do they use the same wireless frequency?)

The problem with most cadence sensors and computers for about £30 is that they are wired (generally the signal won't travel between the rear of the bike and the handlebars). If you want wireless cadence you have to look at spending a bit more, like these babies sjscycles.co.uk
cyclesportsuk.co.uk

they do look nice!!
Jun 2008
10:32pm, 3 Jun 2008
4,443 posts
  •  
Red Tomato
thanks for links hammerite ( sorry bit late, been swimming) I think a cadence thingy would be a good idea.

About This Thread

Maintained by GregP