•  
Legless
coz right now in my present possition £465 can be spent in better ways
Jun 2008
6:17pm, 4 Jun 2008
2,008 posts
  •  
Hollywoof!
But it's a credit card.... so not really your present position ;-)

(I agree anyway - best to hold out - there'll be another shinier, more expensive bike along any moment)
Jun 2008
6:24pm, 4 Jun 2008
1,372 posts
  •  
Legless
thats the problem HW they are ALWAYS more shinier and ALWAYS more exspensive
Jun 2008
6:31pm, 4 Jun 2008
1,374 posts
  •  
Legless
oh looky here just found it for £399

your views on it merits would be great all you semi pro bikers that live on this thread

chrisbikes.co.uk
Jun 2008
6:35pm, 4 Jun 2008
2,726 posts
  •  
HarryB
Hello chaps, sorry to burst in on your thread but I am looking for recommendations. I am looking to get a bike for the short ride to work and to generally tool around on along cycle paths and the like. No hardcore mountainside sillyness or anything.

Anyway, Halfords (there I've said it) have their cheap and cheerful hybrids for about the £100 mark, should I risk it or will I live to regret not spending more and end up hating myself?
Jun 2008
6:47pm, 4 Jun 2008
4,449 posts
  •  
Red Tomato
I'm not a pro or a semi pro but I like it, is it the SCR 2 you are looking at? I think I would buy it if I had any money.

Harry I have an apollo hybrid town and country,it is ever so light and is fine, its only now I have started using the racer I realise how slow it is, but its fine for going to work and back or pootling around.
My husband got one more recently though and it is very heavy.
Jun 2008
6:53pm, 4 Jun 2008
2,727 posts
  •  
HarryB
It's actually this one

halfords.com

Any thoughts?
Jun 2008
6:57pm, 4 Jun 2008
10 posts
  •  
Harry for £100 you'd be better getting a second hand bike from a good make as £100 new will be very limted and are only for the odd ride round the park twice a year. As a better secondhand one might not be shiny it'll last longer and be worth upgrading parts as and when. I have a old (12 year old) GT which I recently changed a few parts on to make my commute bike and summer canel paths etc, and looking at a new version of what I've got is £400-500 and i was going to sell it for about £100.
Jun 2008
7:03pm, 4 Jun 2008
760 posts
  •  
Legless
How tall are you? The Giants look like large bikes shown. You must remember that they are designed to be riden with a lot of seat piller showing, as in the photo's. They look rather naff if you only have 2-3 inches of pillar out.

harryb
If it's only a short ride to work then this will be fine. get mudgards fitted and asked about quality tyres, puncturing is a pain going to work. Schawble Marathorn plus tyres are expensive but bullet proof (£20 + region each.) they will outlast the bike.

alternative take a spare and tyre levers and learn to change the tube.

hope this helps.
Jun 2008
7:04pm, 4 Jun 2008
761 posts
  •  
by the way Harryb happy birthday.

About This Thread

Maintained by GregP