BIKE THREAD

200 watchers
Jun 2008
11:59am, 2 Jun 2008
198 posts
  •  
mackfly
I did my first Audax at the weekend in Kent, nearly 6,000 ft of climbing over 70 miles. The route went through some stunning countryside and nearly all on lanes.

I think i'll enter the Reigate Sportif in early June.
Jun 2008
12:11pm, 2 Jun 2008
35,289 posts
  •  
Hanneke
WOW! Sounds good Mack, what are these audax rides like, they have some around here as well...
TW
Jun 2008
12:56pm, 2 Jun 2008
252 posts
  •  
TW
I did an audax earlier this year..they are very low key affairs, not timed, so you just do it to tick off the mileage. The one I did had a village hall with tea and cakes at half way, and then sandwiches in the village hall at the finish. Only small numbers doing the ride so not a mass start or anything...plus only cost about £4 to enter. The route was written down so no sign posts, but very easy to follow. Real variety of poeple as well..some racing snakes, some coffin dodgers and majority somewhere in between..bikes range from top of the range carbon to tandems, to 60 year old with panniers and mud guards.

TW
Jun 2008
12:56pm, 2 Jun 2008
2,718 posts
  •  
hammerite
Nice one mack!

Hann - you asked people to post bike p0rn a few pages back. Inadvertantly I seem to have uploaded some semi human p0rn (me looking a tw@ getting dressed in transition for the mingers thread!), and some semi bike p0rn as my bike is right behind me!

http://www.fetcheveryone.com/showgalleryphoto.php?filename=701_1.jpg
Jun 2008
12:57pm, 2 Jun 2008
2,719 posts
  •  
hammerite
Hann - check the calendar to see if there is anything near you.... aukweb.net
Jun 2008
12:58pm, 2 Jun 2008
12,611 posts
  •  
B.B.
So much bike p*rn you just don't know where to look!!
Jun 2008
1:08pm, 2 Jun 2008
2,720 posts
  •  
hammerite
Mine is the blue and white Trek directly behind me BB. Have you made your purchase yet, or are you still enjoying the ogling and caressing of many bikes?
Jun 2008
2:37pm, 2 Jun 2008
199 posts
  •  
mackfly
This is the first one I've done but mine and TWs experience sound very similar. I drove the 1st 10k beforehand to check out the course and was a bit worried as within a few miles I was on single track country lanes, not ideal for quick descents. Racing full out on this route would not have been very safe but it really wasn't that sort of atmosphere or event. A lot of people had a small perspex map mount on their handle bars so they could follow the route sheet. Luckily one of the guys I hooked up with knew the route plus they do not look too good with the carbon tri bars.
Jun 2008
2:49pm, 2 Jun 2008
12,615 posts
  •  
B.B.
Hammerite - waiting for my voucher to arrive, but then I'm good to go.

Evans have got the Trek 1.9, Bianchi 1885 Veloce (in celeste) and 1885 in 105 (graphite) waiting for me to try. Unfortunately the Felt F75 is taking ages to get in, which is a shame because it looks a great spec and similar to the Bianchi in terms of race geometry.

Hopefully (!) I'll get to try them out this week and pick the chosen one up at the weekend.

Everything's pulling me towards the Bianchi with Campag though! It's not a Trek, mainly! (although the trek has Ultegra). The Bianchi and Felt have carbon seatstays though, so prob better frames??

Although... having said that, my mate has just ordered a white Planet X that looks so damned cool. So now I have bike envy, and am considering throwing a bit more money at the situation so I'm not out-biked ;) I have £1000 voucher that's going to come out of my pay for 12 mths, so in theory I could push the boat out a little further...
Jun 2008
4:18pm, 2 Jun 2008
4,433 posts
  •  
Red Tomato
you doing it on the cycle to work scheme then? my work use Halfords so there is no point even going there!
Has anyone heard of viking? there is one with carbon forks on special offer in my local cycle king. Its only £399 normally though so I wondered if its a bit of a cheapy make?

About This Thread

Maintained by GregP