Baking thread

99 watchers
Jun 2020
1:35pm, 9 Jun 2020
2,703 posts
  •  
Little Miss Happy
Well done Elsie - I hope he has a great birthday.

Nice scones Angus.

Has anyone else tried the banana 'ice cream'? I did peanut butter cheesecake flavour the other night - it was lovely.

Pear and ginger polenta cake cooling before the drizzle is added.
Jun 2020
1:49pm, 9 Jun 2020
17,669 posts
  •  
EvilPixie
scones and cake look fab!

I made banana cake at the weekend - only had 3 banana instead of my normal 4 and it's a bit dry but will be fine when eaten with ice cream!

What's this banana ice cream?

Also a non baking but food question - what is the best and easiest way to peel hard boiled eggs?!
Jun 2020
1:51pm, 9 Jun 2020
2,705 posts
  •  
Little Miss Happy
Whilst they are still a little warm EP.

The banana 'ice cream' peel, chop and freeze ripe bananas (3-4 depending on size for two people) add whatever (in my case a couple of tablespoons of peanut butter and 3 gf digestives) then blend in a food processor until you have a soft ice cream like consistency.
Jun 2020
1:54pm, 9 Jun 2020
6,535 posts
  •  
sallykate
With eggs, I cool them down as quickly as possible then roll them gently to break the shell before peeling. Sometimes it all comes off easily, sometimes big chunks of white stick to it - sometimes two eggs treated exactly the same way will behave very differently so I'm not sure what the secret is!
Jun 2020
1:54pm, 9 Jun 2020
17,670 posts
  •  
EvilPixie
I always leave my eggs to cool! Will try warm!

Ice cream sounds yummy!

I found a recipe (on diet doctor so "low carb") for seed bars that are a little like Nine Bars that I've started making

Half in fridge half in freezer

Calls for tahini but I've used nut butter too
Has chocolate broken in it and on top but I've also thrown in cocoa powder

I have some "pumpkin spice" almond butter (pip and nut - tastes like christmas) that I will try later when I make some more
Jun 2020
1:56pm, 9 Jun 2020
6,536 posts
  •  
sallykate
Thank you for pointing me to the brownie recipe LF.
Jun 2020
2:20pm, 9 Jun 2020
2,706 posts
  •  
Little Miss Happy
I quick cool the eggs but peel before they are totally cold.
Jun 2020
4:21pm, 9 Jun 2020
5,239 posts
  •  
Red Ant
Quick question on hard boiled eggs. I hard boil my eggs on a Sunday for my week's worth of snacks at work. I don't peel them until I need them which I do because I have assumed (!) that the shell will help to keep them from going off. I've noticed however the shell can be quite tricky to remove and like SK big chunks come off. Anyway the my question is

1. If I remove the shell off a hard boil egg, will the egg "keep" for a maximum of five days?

(Sorry for the long windedness!)

PS I heart looking at everyone's baking. You are all star bakers :)
Jun 2020
4:23pm, 9 Jun 2020
42,915 posts
  •  
Derby Tup
Hard boiled eggs are the work of Satan ( plus a waste of good caking ingredients ;-) )
Jun 2020
4:31pm, 9 Jun 2020
2,709 posts
  •  
Little Miss Happy
Red Ant - a quick Google suggests that storing them in the shell is best.

About This Thread

Maintained by LindsD
Can't find one, so I thought I would start one, to share ideas, results and recipes....and the all-important pictures.

Recipes we like: cakes

fetcheveryone.com/article-view.php?id=552

Recipes we like: bread

fetcheveryone.com/article-view.php?id=553

Recipes we like: savoury snacks

fetcheveryone.com/article-view.php?id=554

Recipes we like: biscuits

fetcheveryone.com/article-view.php?id=555