Baking thread

99 watchers
Jun 2020
4:32pm, 9 Jun 2020
6,537 posts
  •  
sallykate
I think it would keep, in a container in the fridge. The shell is gas permeable, it's not keeping air out.
Jun 2020
4:40pm, 9 Jun 2020
5,240 posts
  •  
Red Ant
Thanks LMH and SK. I might peel Monday and Tuesdays and then keep Wed - Fri in their shells :)

I'm with you DT but I'm on a diet *sob* and they really help to keep my cravings at bay!
Jun 2020
4:46pm, 9 Jun 2020
3,096 posts
  •  
jacdaw
Put them directly into boiling water, not cold. Cook for 11 minutes. Plunge into iced water. Kenji at serious eats did the science.

seriouseats.com
Jun 2020
4:58pm, 9 Jun 2020
159 posts
  •  
shyfire
+1 for banana ice cream - blitzed up frozen chopped bananas optionally with a little protein yoghurt blitzed in nutri-bullet then drizzled with a low sugar maple and walnut or chocolate syrup was my go to sweet treat when dieting. Pre lockdown baking and fudge making lockdown obviously.
Jun 2020
5:07pm, 9 Jun 2020
42,917 posts
  •  
Derby Tup
I’d always been led to believe that plunging them into cold water after cooking prevents that horrible blue ring round the yolk
Jun 2020
5:28pm, 9 Jun 2020
2,711 posts
  •  
Little Miss Happy
It think it does DT.

shyfire - I was thinking it would be nice with some choc chips in.
Jun 2020
5:36pm, 9 Jun 2020
160 posts
  •  
shyfire
Definitely yes LMH - I've just remembered about the cacoa nibs in the healthy option too but to be fair they look the part but don't taste as nice as choc chips.
Jun 2020
6:07pm, 9 Jun 2020
6,538 posts
  •  
sallykate
Regardless of science I'll stick with Nigella's approach of putting eggs in cold water, bringing it to the boil and switching off; it gives a less rubbery egg and has less chance of a cracked shell and oozing white. I'm usually going on to chop them up anyway so not that bothered about a clean peel. (It's about the only thing I agree with Nigella on.)

Teen daughter used to like to experiment with that banana frozen dessert. I just eat frozen cherries for a cold sweet treat. Maybe they'd also work instead of glace in an oat cookie.
Jun 2020
6:11pm, 9 Jun 2020
2,712 posts
  •  
Little Miss Happy
I tend to find the problem with using frozen fruit in bakes is extra moisture. I usually put my eggs in cold water for the same reason sallykate.
Jun 2020
6:21pm, 9 Jun 2020
6,540 posts
  •  
sallykate
Yes, I was thinking that but the Anita Bean recipe looks quite stiff (and I think I'm out of glace cherries!)

About This Thread

Maintained by LindsD
Can't find one, so I thought I would start one, to share ideas, results and recipes....and the all-important pictures.

Recipes we like: cakes

fetcheveryone.com/article-view.php?id=552

Recipes we like: bread

fetcheveryone.com/article-view.php?id=553

Recipes we like: savoury snacks

fetcheveryone.com/article-view.php?id=554

Recipes we like: biscuits

fetcheveryone.com/article-view.php?id=555