1 lurker | 59 watchers
Par by the end of today is 728.8
Aug 2023
1:14pm, 7 Aug 2023
20,834 posts
  •  
geordiegirl
Nice to see the blue skies again isn’t it. Well done on the 10.2

I don’t get hangovers so I have no real incentive to not have a beer or two but trying to be more healthy and I really don’t mind not drinking - it’s more of a post work habit.
Aug 2023
9:18am, 8 Aug 2023
6,205 posts
  •  
steve45
Blue skies gg?!! None here today and a nice thick cloud cover and summer holiday drizzle! Still, got out and did 5k, amazingly I still have a green tick for the month. ( The "year" is lost of course😂)
Hangovers. No thanks. My working life was managing a team assisting people with alcohol problems and being involved clinically with individuals. I've seen too much despair to think alcohol is always just a bit of fun .
Aug 2023
9:19am, 8 Aug 2023
6,206 posts
  •  
steve45
Oops, missed that fantastic 10.2 hs. Great mileage continues!
Aug 2023
10:07am, 8 Aug 2023
12,238 posts
  •  
hillstrider
Well done Steve for another 5k.

I'm another one that "doesn't do hangovers 😫" I lived and worked in Liverpool for about 8.5 years when I was in my thirties. There was a drinking culture which was difficult to avoid. Thankfully, I had just got into running, which was more beneficial than drinking.

Thanks, that run was very rewarding, as I ran with a relatively new runner, and kept her going without having to "Jeff" I'm a sort of unofficial club coach as I encourage and pass on my knowledge and experience gained by around 40 years running and racing.

Another Farmers Walk accomplished this morning.
Aug 2023
11:59am, 8 Aug 2023
4,214 posts
  •  
Mrsbridgewater
I seem to have given up. drinking. I do love a gin and tonic, but at the moment if I drink any alcohol it has a really bad effect on my ability to sleep, and a single glass of wine will result in an awful hangover. I don't miss it - and it stops me snacking while drinking (G&T and a bowl of salt and vinegar crisps - yum!).

Rainy 'perceived effort' run today...
Aug 2023
1:28pm, 8 Aug 2023
20,845 posts
  •  
geordiegirl
You will be an amazing coach hs, you’re a font of all knowledge which you openly share. I know I appreciate your input here.

Firstly I don’t drink enough to get a hangover, but I can form a habit if a glass of wine/G&T to wind down why’d I’m trying to avoid. I find I sleep better if I’ve had a little nightcap as it stops my overthinking mind and bizarrely I snack more if I don’t have a glass of wine, as I’ll have a cup of tea with chocolate/cheese & crackers or crisps.

That said I happily have my alcohol free nights and I don’t drink mindlessly at the point it can be a problem for many.

I do know people in our world who do have more of an addiction/inability to stop and can lose time recovering. If I woke up feeling unwell I’d guarantee I’d not drink. I know my limits and rarely reach them.
Aug 2023
2:44pm, 8 Aug 2023
12,244 posts
  •  
hillstrider
Thank you GG, I do enjoy posting on this forum, as everyone is so friendly and supportive of each other.

I do like a drink, but am more of a social drinker, so can take it or leave it.
Aug 2023
3:00pm, 8 Aug 2023
9,645 posts
  •  
Fenland Flier
A tad under 8.3 miles this morning, quite pacy after Sunday's long run.

I'm similar with alcohol hillstrider, take it or leave it but when I go camping with my friend at BTCC a case of larger (18) lasts me just 2 days. We sit and chat the evening away, even if I don't fancy a drink once we sit down it becomes natural while we're camping.
Aug 2023
3:22pm, 8 Aug 2023
3,331 posts
  •  
Lesley C
Some good miles there folks. Good to see Steve getting some decent miles in too.

I am still not 100%, I did a short easy run on Sunday morning and 5 miles today. Neither felt amazing so will take it easy for now. Wee man has gone back to nursery so enjoying some peace and quiet.

I don't drink and very rarely have, last time I had a wee celebratory drink at my sister's wedding in 2017. I like being social but don't bother with the alcohol.
Aug 2023
4:32pm, 8 Aug 2023
12,245 posts
  •  
hillstrider
Well done FF for this mornings run.

That sounds like social drinking when you are away camping.

Sorry to hear Lesley that you are still not 100%, so you are right to take it easy until you are better.

I think that todays younger generation drink far less than previous ones.

About This Thread

Maintained by Lesley C
Welcome to the thread :-) to be on target you need to run 19 Miles per week or 2.7 Miles per day.

Target list can be found here - fetcheveryone.com/training-mileagetargets-filtered.php?category=RUN&mileage=1000