1000 miles in 2024

3 lurkers | 59 watchers
Par by the end of today is 728.8
Apr 2023
9:33am, 19 Apr 2023
6,053 posts
  •  
steve45
Re the increasing costs of trainers, I've just found an old Sports shoes.com catalogue from 2013 and a pair of Saucony Jazz 14 at top price were £74.99 but being sold for £39.99. Their rough equivalent today (my new Saucony Ride14) top price £134, selling at discount (previous season 's) £60 odd. In that 2013 catalogue there were scores of trainers being sold for less than £50!!
3M
Apr 2023
10:16am, 19 Apr 2023
21,115 posts
  •  
3M
Although in fairness, a couple of year's inflation at recent rates would do that! Our cheap and simple hobby is creeping up in cost, I guess.
Apr 2023
1:58pm, 19 Apr 2023
10,981 posts
  •  
hillstrider
I haven't run in the new trainers yet Steve, but have walked around indoors to get used to them. I believe that most sports shoes sellers do give good discounts on trainers that will be replaced by upgrades. I've always attempted to buy this way. I've been wondering how many miles I used to run in trainers before I started logging runs and races on fetcheveryone.

This morning was a tough 4.75 miles on a circular hilly route in the forest. It comprised 6 circuits of 0.7 mile, with 2 minutes recoveries after each circuit. The mileage included run out and back.
Apr 2023
8:00am, 20 Apr 2023
6,054 posts
  •  
steve45
A tough run in the forest like that is for "tough runners" hs! Good stuff yet again. Way beyond me but I was happy that my hip continues to feel ok over a short distance. I'm deliberately only doing these ridiculously low miles until I think I can increase in respect of my hip and also have had a chest x ray. I'm speaking to my GP today about it

So a single mile in wonderful morning sunshine felt positive.
Apr 2023
9:09am, 20 Apr 2023
20,237 posts
  •  
geordiegirl
Hi guys sorry I’ve been AWOL again, I just cant keep up with everything…. Ultra marathon thread has been winning this week with the shocking goings on at the Manchester to Liverpool Ultra.

I’ve been continuing with my run the sum quest, I thought I had 7m to do today so was over the moon to discover I was a week ahead of myself so its only 2k, but that for me will be at least 2m.

I’ve missed some great chats, lots of new shoes!! Hope they are perfect for all of you. On outlet places we have had an Inov8 outlet open not too far away from me so I am over the moon (OH may not be haha) so my pal and I are off there on Sunday. If I can get some new parkclaws that fit I’ll be a happy gg – my new pair in exactly the same size as my old pair are too small!! Why oh why do they mess with design??

Some brilliant running going on, hs as always an inspiration on your mix of sessions – no doubt why you’re still smashing out great runs, well done. I’m a bit like FF I tend to default to run I do try to throw the odd session in but nowhere near what I did when I had my coach last year, I am seriously thinking of signing up for another block – its daft really as I kept a record of all my sessions and saved all the workouts in my garmin account so it would be so easy to replicate but somehow, like my strength training I don’t.

Brilliant long run and parkrun last week Lesley, well done! And FF I also think I knew I was coming in to a dodgy run number – maybe why my spidy senses was warning me off hehehe.

Look forward to MrsB update from Boston and good luck with your continued tests Steve, must be very frustrating for you. Glad you enjoyed a sunshine run today.
Apr 2023
10:05am, 20 Apr 2023
3,351 posts
  •  
Looby Loo
I bought some new waterproof trail shoes from m and m direct for £29 pleased with that. Hoping to try them out Saturday at my all grass parkrun in Ireland.

I too buy mine from outlets GG.
Apr 2023
10:06am, 20 Apr 2023
20,241 posts
  •  
geordiegirl
Wow that is a bargain LL!
Apr 2023
11:16am, 20 Apr 2023
10,988 posts
  •  
hillstrider
Thanks Steve, I'm glad to hear that your hip is allowing you to run short distances, and I hope you don't have to wait for too long for a chest x-ray. You will probably have noticed that my mileage is down, and I have lost my green tick. It seems to be working though, as garmin connect after yesterdays session showed "Optimum, you are in ideal race condition!"

Your training and mileage is going well GG! Thanks for your kind comments, I need to do structured training to enable me to keep my mojo working. There is a song with that title which I think was recorded by Howling Wolf.
On the subject of trainers, my new pair, which is the same size and brand ie Asics 1000 v11, as my other two pairs, feels tighter when I put them on. I haven't run in them yet, but will continue walking indoors in them to loosen them up.

LL, wow what a bargain, thats probably cheaper than my first pair bought about 40 years ago!!

No running for me today, but I have my booster Covid Jab on Sunday in the local rebuilt hospital. I remember the chaos parking for my previous booster at the adjacent surgery, so thought I would check out the facilities at the hospital. I drove part way, parked, and walked the rest. I'm glad that I did, as the car park was full. That will be my tactics on Sunday, drive and walk, avoiding parking stress. I've got a dental appointment this afternoon, so its all systems go for me. Last weeks appointment for the "Our future health" check up, hygienist Monday, Dentist today, and covid jab on Sunday.

Sorry for going off topic, but us runners do need to look after our health😁
Apr 2023
11:14am, 22 Apr 2023
8,810 posts
  •  
Fenland Flier
I decided this morning to try for a SB at parkrun. I was very close, no official result yet but from my watch I was 2 seconds off. It felt hard today where as in January from my notes it was comfortably hard, oh well there is always another week.
Apr 2023
12:16pm, 22 Apr 2023
11,007 posts
  •  
hillstrider
Well done FF for getting so close to your seasons best.

I was very pleased with this mornings parkrun in 28.48, my quickest this year by nearly 2 minutes. My Vo2 max was 48, and WAVA 68.21%. 73rd out of 144 finishers, so can't complain 😃

About This Thread

Maintained by Lesley C
Welcome to the thread :-) to be on target you need to run 19 Miles per week or 2.7 Miles per day.

Target list can be found here - fetcheveryone.com/training-mileagetargets-filtered.php?category=RUN&mileage=1000