•  
Fenland Flier
Thanks LL.
Apr 2023
5:11pm, 15 Apr 2023
3,343 posts
  •  
Looby Loo
Well done HS it is always hit and miss with the distance and route taken. Sometimes I run quicker and get a slower time due to running long etc.
Apr 2023
8:57am, 16 Apr 2023
6,042 posts
  •  
steve45
Great runs there FF, LL and hs. Each proving that good training yields good pace and results.
You are undoubtedly right FF. In fact my "prescription" has remained the same for at least fifteen years and my gait, foot plant hasn't been re checked. I've done a lot of reading around the pros and cons of orthotics and not sure where I'll go with it; my hip was fine over a mile this morning, orthotic free. I'm a bit disappointed with the company that assessed me the last time and who offer repeat prescriptions, their system of assessment uses a computerised mat which picks up issues although I can't figure its accuracy over such a short distance. My very original assessment was a self employed podiatrist who used old fashioned plaster of Paris, tape measures and a treadmill cam and seemed to have a better knowledge of feet!
The downside for me now, and lots of people is the cost of assessments.
Apr 2023
9:22am, 16 Apr 2023
10,951 posts
  •  
hillstrider
Thanks FF.

Thanks LL, most parkruns, including ours, are accurately measured with a wheel, by qualified course measurers. However, most parkruns have twists and turns, including u turns, but our Garmins only measure straight ahead. We actually, therefore, run further than the Garmins register.

I've just had a clear out of race t-shirts, as I could hardly close the drawer. I can envisage runners far away overseas proudly running in them.😊

Thanks Steve. I don't wear orthotics, but a few years ago, in a high brand sports shop, the assistant tried to sell me a pair. She put them in the trainers and asked me to run on the treadmill. I did, but didn't find any benefits. The cost would have been over £50, and that was many years ago!

I've decided to have a rest day today, as I've decided not to worry about weekly mileage, but to concentrate on relevant training sessions, and recovery runs.
Apr 2023
11:23am, 16 Apr 2023
8,758 posts
  •  
Fenland Flier
Steve apparently I overpronate and wear shoes appropriate for that. A running shop can help with that and probably wouldn't charge for the privilege if you bought a pair of shoes from them. I go every couple of years and buy a pair and then I'm sorry to say in between I buy online because of the cost saving.

Hillstrider you always concentrate on relevant training sessions with your running and that's very commendable, I'd love to be like you in that sense. I do an awful lot of junk miles.
Apr 2023
1:50pm, 16 Apr 2023
3,346 posts
  •  
Looby Loo
I don’t believe in Junk miles.
Yes HS I know they are all accurately measured.
Apr 2023
3:27pm, 16 Apr 2023
8,765 posts
  •  
Fenland Flier
I suppose what I mean by that Looby Loo is I don't do intervals, tempo or hill training like hillstrider does. My miles are mostly just plodding away.
Apr 2023
9:15am, 17 Apr 2023
6,046 posts
  •  
steve45
I suppose it depends what junk miles are. Running for running's sake and just for enjoyment I suppose could be seen as junk to the avid racer so all my miles are now junk! In my day anything over 7 minute miling was pretty much junk and now by comparison I can't even call myself a runner, or even a jogger! So I have to believe in, or accept, junk miles.
I always buy shoes on line nowadays FF. Our local Run and Become store closed down over a year ago but I never used it and now there is a Runners Need (within a camping store) and one dedicated Nike store. Some assistants are helpful but aside from the old pronation chestnut they can't identify leg length discrepancies etc. I also apparently have " rear foot varus deformity" which I can't recall means! So for decades I've been able to buy neutral shoes and insert prescription orthotics every year or so which cost around £80.
Continued short jog today without orthotics in and my hip was ok!
3M
Apr 2023
9:23am, 17 Apr 2023
21,074 posts
  •  
3M
steve45, by that definition (>7m/mi) my entire running life has been junk miles! Even when I was actually trying to stick to some drills or plan!
Do you have any factory outlet type places nearby? If you know what you are looking for, and/or okay with "last season's" shoes, and/or prepared to wear hideous colours I find that they are usually cheaper than on-line!

(The Assistants do tend to be pretty useless for anything challenging, though! Polite, but not trained in footwear, mostly students or "Saturday" jobs, I think. There is a runner who works in the Asics shop sometimes...)
Apr 2023
9:44am, 17 Apr 2023
6,048 posts
  •  
steve45
Thanks for the tip re shoe outlets 3M. No, we don't have any but I've been buying previous seasons running shoes on line ever since on-line shops appeared and been lucky most years! My podiatrist and insole manufacturer is only half a mile from my front door. They fit and supply the Cardiff City football team and some Wales International rugby team members. But I still had/ have more faith in old fashioned podiatry yet still unsure overall whether orthotics are "right" except for leg length and other complex foot faults.

About This Thread

Maintained by Lesley C
Welcome to the thread :-) to be on target you need to run 19 Miles per week or 2.7 Miles per day.

Target list can be found here - fetcheveryone.com/training-mileagetargets-filtered.php?category=RUN&mileage=1000