Track & Field Fetchies

56 watchers
May 2007
10:15am, 16 May 2007
0 posts
  •  
Rach E
Sounds like you should blast it then Boo if you're a natural sprinter! I just found some results for the Rosenheim league and it looks like you'll do quite well, even if you have a bad day.
May 2007
10:19am, 16 May 2007
0 posts
  •  
Hanneke
Brrr, gives me the shivers thinking about running only 100 or 200 metres, think I'd pop both my calves if I tried :-)
May 2007
10:41am, 16 May 2007
0 posts
  •  
AntBliss - the great dollop
BBLB - unless you are going below about 28 seconds for 200m you will be better off without blocks and concentrating on your start technique with Gobi. Good Technique will save you the most time and ensure you get up to running speed asap.

Blocks are only going to save you about 0.2 seconds over that distance if you are running 28-30 second sort of times.

If you are down in the <25 seconds then you will for sure be needing the blocks - mainly so you can get the power down faster.

I've seen a chap run 48 for the 400 without blocks - much to the chargrin of the others behind him...(which was everyone), so unless you are very familiar with them (trained a lot and stopped stumbling forwards out of them and don't stand up too quickly) and have really good explosive power - don't bother.

Best to spend the time before the race worrying about warming up and not worrying about your blocks !

And good luck in the Rosenheim - its a very friendly league (if I remember correctly) and a great place to start back on the track.
May 2007
10:44am, 16 May 2007
0 posts
  •  
hmm post got shortened... as I was saying
If you are down the <26 seconds region then seriously consider the block training and practices.

Either way the rosenheim league is a great place to get back into track racing, very friendly if I remember.
Good luck !
May 2007
10:45am, 16 May 2007
0 posts
  •  
Ahh, just figured I cant use the "less than" symbol - doh !
if you are down below 26 seconds then seriously consider using the blocks otherwise it won't save you much time.
The rosenheim league is a great place to get back into track and very friendly if I remember (from the dim and distant past)
Good luck and enjoy it (and ensure you are very very warmed up!)
May 2007
10:48am, 16 May 2007
0 posts
  •  
Gobi
cheers for that antbliss

why do I think I know you ?

where else fo you post/race ?
May 2007
11:00am, 16 May 2007
0 posts
  •  
Mrs BooBoo LaBoy
Wow thanks for advice guys!!

Yes Gobi - lets discuss things over a huge pizza at the June LFOTM?? I think Rach mentioned being able to attend that one?
Antbliss is famous for taking photos at races!!!

Rach - have you got a link to the Rosenheim results at all?? :-)
May 2007
11:13am, 16 May 2007
0 posts
  •  
Gobi - you decided that running past my camera several times on the last bit of country road at the end of the Dorking 10 in 2005 was a fun thing to do as you dragged people back into the finish. I had the pictures - they are now archived off line...

Unless of course you used to race against me in 110m Hurdles races .... I turned to photos when I broke my foot our on a training run and essentially lost my plyometrics for hurdling from

a)snapping some of the smaller ligaments hidden in the ankle/foot bones

b)being to old :-(

just getting back into running now after three years off (lazy), don't know if I'd ever race on a track again - certainly not hurdles, but 400m flat might get a look in... one day. I don't think I'll go sub-50 ever again though.
May 2007
11:14am, 16 May 2007
0 posts
  •  
Rach E
tinyurl.com and tinyurl.com

(You can do a search on athleticsdata.com for results for previous years too)
May 2007
11:16am, 16 May 2007
0 posts
  •  
SteveX
Boo I shouldnt worry about blocks for next week. Some use them others dont. Unless your used to them you wont get much benefit in my opinion. its more about having a go and getting popints for the team. Imagine - I even did the hammer last year- not advisable when your under 10 stones.

About This Thread

Maintained by SPR
AKA the amateur athletics thread. For discussing our T&F exploits including indoors for those that do it.

Season events you're planning on doing can be added in the here (eg 1500, 3000SC, LJ, JT), if you have a goals for those events these can be added in brackets next to the event. *=previous season. If you prioritise a specific event then the list will be in order of your most important. Let me know if you want to be added.

anthonyj89* - 10000 (29:59), 5000 (14:29)
CC2 Speedy Goth* - 10000, masters league
Gobi* -
J2R* -
Larkim* - 3000 (Sub 11:00)
Maclennane* - JT (33m), DT (25m)
markgall - 1500 (PB), 5000 (sub 17:00) ✅
Roberto* - 3000SC (sub 10:30), 400H (66.xx)
Sharkie* - 100 (inc relay), 200, LJ, HJ, JT, DT, SP
SPR - 800, 1500, 5000, 400?

Let me know if there's any information that would be useful to add to links or here for those looking for events, etc.

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.