Track & Field Fetchies

56 watchers
SPR
26 Sep
2:05pm, 26 Sep 2024
46,241 posts
  •  
SPR
Sorry to hear of your troubles @Blister. Looks like you made good progress during the season though.

@LBAC Si what was the gap between your races? Heats are tough and not sure I'm trained to cope, lol.

My injury issue ended up even worse as fractured the base of the 5th metatarsal in my left foot while running on grass rehabbing the injury on my right side. Stepped on a small but solid piece of (chopped up?) branch, size meant foot slipped off as I moved forward twisting my foot under my body with lots of weight going through. I think winter will be all about getting back decently rather than racing well (if at all now).
26 Sep
3:22pm, 26 Sep 2024
7,442 posts
  •  
Blister
@SPR That must be frustrating, especially with such a trivial thing as a branch. I badly twisted my ankle a few years ago while running through a field, got my foot stuck in a small hidden hole and twisted it - I even heard a pop! I had to hobble 2 miles home and then it took a couple of months before it felt better, only to do the same thing again to the same ankle while running through a different field! That one made me cry out in pain! That was in 2021 when I was training for the Bristol 10k.

I hope it heals soon. Are you able to do aqua jogging? I've heard that's one of the best non-impact alternatives to running.
26 Sep
6:14pm, 26 Sep 2024
119 posts
  •  
LBAC Si
Oh thats unlucky @SPR I did my ankle in just before turning 50 which was a right ball ache! Hope rehab goes ok

I had 2 days inbetween the races - so not too bad

@Blister cheers yes some quality boys at the top end! Good fun though, group photos after etc.

Had the inter area in Corby, then Eastern masters final with a 800/15/3/ triple in 2.11/4.22/9.33 I think! Forgotten already.

So that's it until the indoors - usually do the dream mile thing at Lee Valley in February.
SPR
27 Sep
12:28am, 27 Sep 2024
46,245 posts
  •  
SPR
Yeah, a very annoying injury and the only thing I could have done to avoid it other than get lucky, is not run in the location I ran.

I'd not thought about aqua jogging @Blister but I can cycle and row indoors so that should be good. Something closer to running might be more motivating. Found this Guardian article with tips so might give it a go at some point.

theguardian.com

Two days is decent @LBAC Si, I'd definitely need to practice to do rounds though.
1 Oct
3:52pm, 1 Oct 2024
11 posts
  •  
BeeDeeVV
If anyone is after a late season 3000m, my club, Swindon Harriers, are hosting some races on Friday 18th October.

I’l hopefully be there to try and improve my 10:26 PB set a couple of months ago, which was set after running an 800m and 400m.

meets.rosterathletics.com
2 Oct
4:34pm, 2 Oct 2024
7,445 posts
  •  
Blister
And I thought I was racing late into the season doing a 1500m on Sunday (Avon League) - which was a complete disaster of a race. The strong winds didn't help, but I really didn't expect to run one of my slowest ever times.

Good luck @BeeDeeVV, I'll probably give this one a miss.
3 Oct
1:51pm, 3 Oct 2024
125 posts
  •  
LBAC Si
BeeDeeVV wrote:If anyone is after a late season 3000m, my club, Swindon Harriers, are hosting some races on Friday 18th October. I’l hopefully be there to try and improve my 10:26 PB set a couple of months ago, which was set after running an 800m and 400m. meets.rosterathletics.com

That IS late! Had a nice long run with a couple of Swindon H lads in Gothenberg - Simon Dill and Courtney.
19 Oct
7:08am, 19 Oct 2024
13 posts
  •  
BeeDeeVV
@LBAC Si LBAC Si did you make it onto Chez’ YouTube? In case he didn’t mention it, his channel is the WingIt Runner.

The 3000m was last night, and as seems is the case every time the weather turned a little so it was wet and blustery. They laid on pacers, Simon Dill doing 10:30 in the race I was in and a chap called Harry doing 10:00. Harry raced later aiming for his 8:28 PB, paced by Ben Cole (also in Gottenberg, came 4th in the HM).

My PB going into this was 10:26.7, which was set after an 800m & 400m, so I knew it was a little soft. I decided I’d try and stick with Harry and see if I could get the sub-10. There was a pack of about 6 of us who formed and we held it together until around 3 laps to go. At this point this started to break up a little, and I think I switched off a little.

The pacer dropped out with 2 laps to go, and I’d dropped back around 4s off the pace. I remained about the same with a lap to go and even the final 200m, and it was around then I dropped the hammer to see if I could pull out a 36s 200m.

I just about overtook everyone around me which I think was a couple from the pack and a few from ahead we’d caught up with. I stopped the watch and saw a 9:59, so a nervous wait

The score board eventually came up… 10:00.08 *sob* 4 of us finished with a 10:00.xx !

Overall I’m delighted, smashed my PB, and possibly set my highest age graded result across any distance. But yeah slightly frustrated that I’d switched off a bit or not kicked earlier.
22 Oct
2:21pm, 22 Oct 2024
138 posts
  •  
LBAC Si
BeeDeeVV wrote:@LBAC Si LBAC Si did you make it onto Chez’ YouTube? In case he didn’t mention it, his channel is the WingIt Runner. The 3000m was last night, and as seems is the case every time the weather turned a little so it was wet and blustery. They laid on pacers, Simon Dill doing 10:30 in the race I was in and a chap called Harry doing 10:00. Harry raced later aiming for his 8:28 PB, paced by Ben Cole (also in Gottenberg, came 4th in the HM). My PB going into this was 10:26.7, which was set after an 800m & 400m, so I knew it was a little soft. I decided I’d try and stick with Harry and see if I could get the sub-10. There was a pack of about 6 of us who formed and we held it together until around 3 laps to go. At this point this started to break up a little, and I think I switched off a little. The pacer dropped out with 2 laps to go, and I’d dropped back around 4s off the pace. I remained about the same with a lap to go and even the final 200m, and it was around then I dropped the hammer to see if I could pull out a 36s 200m. I just about overtook everyone around me which I think was a couple from the pack and a few from ahead we’d caught up with. I stopped the watch and saw a 9:59, so a nervous wait The score board eventually came up… 10:00.08 *sob* 4 of us finished with a 10:00.xx ! Overall I’m delighted, smashed my PB, and possibly set my highest age graded result across any distance. But yeah slightly frustrated that I’d switched off a bit or not kicked earlier.

Great effort, so unlucky with the time - happens like that sometime!

Yes i've known Ben Cole for quite a while, he was the other member of our long ish run in Gothenburg with Simon and Courtenay. Very blustery and damp, like the whole week over there!

I'll check out the channel!

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by SPR
AKA the amateur athletics thread. For discussing our T&F exploits including indoors for those that do it.

Season events you're planning on doing can be added in the here (eg 1500, 3000SC, LJ, JT), if you have a goals for those events these can be added in brackets next to the event. *=previous season. If you prioritise a specific event then the list will be in order of your most important. Let me know if you want to be added.

anthonyj89* - 10000 (29:59), 5000 (14:29)
CC2 Speedy Goth* - 10000, masters league
Gobi* -
J2R* -
Larkim* - 3000 (Sub 11:00)
Maclennane* - JT (33m), DT (25m)
markgall - 1500 (PB), 5000 (sub 17:00) ✅
Roberto* - 3000SC (sub 10:30), 400H (66.xx)
Sharkie* - 100 (inc relay), 200, LJ, HJ, JT, DT, SP
SPR - 800, 1500, 5000, 400?

Let me know if there's any information that would be useful to add to links or here for those looking for events, etc.

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.