Track & Field Fetchies

56 watchers
SPR
24 Jul
4:40pm, 24 Jul 2024
45,416 posts
  •  
SPR
Less than 30 secs before we started the rep @LBAC Si 🤣 TBF though, they didn't know I was doing the LD session rather than MD till 5 mins before, I just hadn't considered that it might be modified from what was advertised.

Worked out well in the end although I was a little worried about how rep 3 would go near the end of rep 2. They do say a session where you're not sure on your capabilities is good from time to time, lol.
25 Jul
9:01am, 25 Jul 2024
66 posts
  •  
LBAC Si
SPR wrote:Less than 30 secs before we started the rep @LBAC Si 🤣 TBF though, they didn't know I was doing the LD session rather than MD till 5 mins before, I just hadn't considered that it might be modified from what was advertised. Worked out well in the end although I was a little worried about how rep 3 would go near the end of rep 2. They do say a session where you're not sure on your capabilities is good from time to time, lol.

Oh thats ok - good to have a session like that now and again.

4.17 last night - a bit meh. Will post a quick report on Stevieg later.
SPR
25 Jul
2:07pm, 25 Jul 2024
45,429 posts
  •  
SPR
Pretty sure you have more in the tank, hopefully just need the right race.
25 Jul
2:13pm, 25 Jul 2024
69 posts
  •  
LBAC Si
@SPR Yep hope so. Apart from masters, just have a mile race booked in London mid August.
SPR
25 Jul
2:19pm, 25 Jul 2024
45,430 posts
  •  
SPR
Just seen your post on the Stevieg thread, sounds like you were sub 4:15 pace for all but 800-1100.
29 Aug
10:07am, 29 Aug 2024
247 posts
  •  
markgall
Dipping back in here having been missing all season. I have suffered injuries and illness this year amongst other things and have only managed to toe the line over the last few weeks on the track, but getting back to decent fitness levels again. A grand total of 3 track races this year, with 1 to go next week. First 1500 last month was shambles finishing in 4.46, but I managed a few weeks good training after it and did the Stirling monument mile on the track last week in 4.57, my 1500 split being 4.38, happy to be back under 5 at age 53. A 3000 open graded on Tuesday night and won my heat in 9.53 which was pleasing and great fun from a racing perspective. Another 1500 next week then that'll be it until the indoors I think, with a 5k and few short course (4k) XC races in between.
29 Aug
10:21am, 29 Aug 2024
2,391 posts
  •  
auburnette
I had an annoying 5000m race yesterday - lap counter made a mistake and rang the bell a lap late! Really messed up my last 800 as I know I can grit out 800m but somehow it was still showing 3 laps to go and I just slowed right down (plus I wasnt sure if I could or should sprint what I knew to be the last lap, as I was about to get lapped by the actual winner who ran one lap extra). Sadly can't find another one this season for a re do as have that annoying feeling where you've left quite a bit on the table!

A track mile next weds will conclude my first year of racing in circles 😃
SPR
29 Aug
10:56am, 29 Aug 2024
45,861 posts
  •  
SPR
Welcome back @markgall. Sounds like you've made the best of an injury hit season.

That's annoying @auburnette, sounds like they messed it up for everyone if it was on the board and not sure how that happens!?! Would expect any confusion to be around lapped runners as they are done manually. Not something I've had happen thankfully as even if sure, it would be hard to know what to do. Frustrating to feel like you had more in you but something to work to next season. Congrats on your first track season, hope you enjoyed it.

My season ended after injury preparing for the 5000 race at Wimbledon. I had a niggle where if I'd backed off on intensity I probably would have been ok put I wanted the absolute max I could get out of training pre the race but that meant I ended up with nothing. Pretty sure 16:15 was on but was wondering how close to 16 I could get. Annoying as these days I wonder if each season will be my last one for track PBs.

Potential HM in October is looking unlikely now as well but we'll see if I can get fit and then feel like a couple of winter road races in addition to the normal XC during the winter.
29 Aug
1:32pm, 29 Aug 2024
90 posts
  •  
LBAC Si
So very quick Gothenburg World masters V50 1500m review

Heat 1 - annoying as you have to make sure you 'get in' - 4.20. Felt hard though

Final - 8th in 4.18, won in 4.11. Knew I only had a couple of extra seconds in the bag from the heat.
26 Sep
9:35am, 26 Sep 2024
7,441 posts
  •  
Blister
It sounds like we've all had a tough year. I started the year in debt and on universal credit after being made redundant, but I was beginning to get some good miles in until March when I overdid it and developed sciatica in my hamstring, which was soon joined by tendonitis on my achilles on the same leg.

So training was severely reduced/restricted after that. I'm still suffering from these problems now - to be honest, I feel like they will last years now. I did my first track race end of May, a 1500m in a slow time of 4.47. After that I focussed on 800m, starting on 2.17 and working my way down to 2.12 with focussed training. It's the first time in a season where every race got faster... that was until my last 800m where I aimed for 2.11 and flopped with a 2.14 - to be fair it was really cold (8 degrees) and very late (9.30pm) and I had to drive for 2 hours to get there.

I have one more race this Sunday, a 1500m in the Avon league, hoping to dip under 4.40 and then that will be it for me. I hope to do a 3000m indoor race in Cardiff in December.

@markgall That's some great running, especially after being injured.

@auburnette How frustrating, the lap counter only had one job! Perhaps you can do an autumn road 5km to make up for it.

@SPR Sorry to hear you're injured, especially when you were that fit, very frustrating.

@LBAC Si You may be disappointed with your result, but wow those were great times, especially for your age group. 4.11 is very fast for V50.

About This Thread

Maintained by SPR
AKA the amateur athletics thread. For discussing our T&F exploits including indoors for those that do it.

Season events you're planning on doing can be added in the here (eg 1500, 3000SC, LJ, JT), if you have a goals for those events these can be added in brackets next to the event. *=previous season. If you prioritise a specific event then the list will be in order of your most important. Let me know if you want to be added.

anthonyj89* - 10000 (29:59), 5000 (14:29)
CC2 Speedy Goth* - 10000, masters league
Gobi* -
J2R* -
Larkim* - 3000 (Sub 11:00)
Maclennane* - JT (33m), DT (25m)
markgall - 1500 (PB), 5000 (sub 17:00) ✅
Roberto* - 3000SC (sub 10:30), 400H (66.xx)
Sharkie* - 100 (inc relay), 200, LJ, HJ, JT, DT, SP
SPR - 800, 1500, 5000, 400?

Let me know if there's any information that would be useful to add to links or here for those looking for events, etc.

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.